Author Topic: IBKR - Interactive Brokers  (Read 161038 times)

Hielko

Re: IBKR - Interactive Brokers
« Reply #540 on: April 29, 2019, 06:22:59 AM »
It's not YRIV!  That went from extremely illiquid TO extremely liquid as it collapsed!  It's the opposite of what they are describing.  Go look at volumes in Q4 vs Q1.  SUPER LIQUID!
According to this article it is: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chinese-firm-apos-plunge-cost-080000161.html
The answer, it turns out, is shares of an obscure Chinese company with years of losses, no revenue and a U.S. headquarters located in a New York City apartment. Its name is Yangtze River Port and Logistics Ltd., according to a person with knowledge of the matter who requested anonymity because Greenwich, Connecticut-based Interactive Brokers hasnít revealed the firmís identity.

given2invest

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #541 on: April 29, 2019, 06:50:43 AM »
I just came here to post that...crazy.  I stand corrected!   I guess I see it didn't become liquid till it went below $1.  That chart is so ugly.

Peregrino

« Reply #542 on: April 29, 2019, 09:32:19 AM »
Long article from the WSJ on how Schwab's low fee model is taking market share, shaking up brokerage.

Not a single mention of Interactive Brokers... I don't know whether that's a good thing (IBKR remains under-followed), or a bad thing (no one thinks they are a serious contender)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-schwab-ate-wall-street-11556474103?mod=hp_lead_pos9

fisch777

« Reply #543 on: April 29, 2019, 10:47:31 AM »
Long article from the WSJ on how Schwab's low fee model is taking market share, shaking up brokerage.

Not a single mention of Interactive Brokers... I don't know whether that's a good thing (IBKR remains under-followed), or a bad thing (no one thinks they are a serious contender)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-schwab-ate-wall-street-11556474103?mod=hp_lead_pos9

Schwab is such a beast.  Have spent quite a bit of time on both it and IBKR the past few months, and still can't get there, mostly due to NIM exposure.  I get that rates <should> normalize at higher levels at some point/over cycle/etc, but I don't want to pay for it.

As far as why IBKR isn't mentioned, it's just not a contender in the mainstream financial "supermarket" space.  Schwab brokerage is arguably cheaper for most US investors who don't trade often, plus roll in banking accounts, commission-free ETFs/MFs, retirement accounts, etc all under one login.  Anecdotally, it is the only bank/broker I use ex high yield online savings guys.

I suppose IBKR valuation has come down significantly, but has discounted a massive adjustment in forward rate upside expectations, a significant slowdown in new account growth, and the founder/CEO selling 25K shares every day.

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #544 on: August 06, 2019, 07:36:01 AM »
Looking for Europeans who have IB account for couple questions ( @writser? ):

- Assuming a person opens IB account with smallish sum of money, buys couple stocks and does not trade from there on what monthly fee IB charges in Europe (Eurozone)? (In US I believe they charge monthly $10 for any account smaller than $100K. I need Euro-side info though).
- How difficult it is to fund IB account from random EU country assuming you have EU bank account? Does IB give bank info to which you transfer money and you're funded?

Someone from Lithuania wants to open a brokerage account with rather small amount of money. IB was advertised on CoBF as the best solution in Europe.  ;D I am trying to gather info if they are economical for small accounts (not that other brokers are economical for small accounts either...  :-\ )

Any other info/gotchas?

Any info appreciated. We can move to general or PM if needed though I think this thread was used for IB-related info in the past.  8)
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

Hielko

« Reply #545 on: August 06, 2019, 08:19:03 AM »
IB doesn't have different fees in Europe. So you still have the $10 inactivity fee. And funding is easy, you can just do an transfer to an IBAN number (most likely to Germany). For small accounts (with few transactions) I doubt that IB is the best option. You could go for something like degiro.eu (not a broker I like a lot, but they are cheap and you can get for a decent amount of ETF's one free trade a month).

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #546 on: August 06, 2019, 08:33:23 AM »
Thanks Hielko.

Edit: degiro.eu is not available for Lithuanian residents (there are long discussions how to go around the limitation, but the workaround holes are pretty much plugged by now).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:26:13 PM by Jurgis »
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

WneverLOSE

« Reply #547 on: August 12, 2019, 02:17:17 AM »
I am trying to understand why the Net income available for common stockholders is lower than you would expect from their 18.1% interest in IBG LLC (the operating business).

Net income for 2018 : 1,125
18.1% from Net income : 203
Reported Net income available for common stockholders : 169

My guess is that the listing costs and maybe auditing costs are incurred by the holding company (i.e. only the public shareholders)
I was wondering if someone can explain the difference between the numbers and if the costs are written somewhere at the 10-K ?

KCLarkin

« Reply #548 on: August 12, 2019, 04:09:14 PM »
This is discussed upthread. It is related to taxation. They clearly talk through the pre-tax to post-tax EPS in most recent calls. Simplest way to explain it is that common shareholders get 18% of pre-tax income. But this isnít quite true since the Partnership needs to pay its share of foreign taxes.

WayWardCloud

« Reply #549 on: August 24, 2019, 01:38:36 PM »
I'm looking at IBKR again due to the price falling down recently.

One thing that worries me, and yet I haven't read anyone talk about, is the possibility of the US and China technologically decoupling their strategic infrastructures. If we are only at the beginning of the rise of a new kind of technological Iron Curtain, as Google's Eric Schmidt predicts, wouldn't Interactive Brokers be at the top of the list of upcoming China bans? They handle extremely sensitive flux of information and the majority of their recent growth comes from Asia, mostly as an introductory broker if I remember correctly. If I were China, I wouldn't want a US company, especially one led by a very patriotic CEO who escaped the Eastern Block and hates communism, to control the underlying technological backbone for the trading platforms my people use.

I'd very much appreciate your opinions!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 01:41:32 PM by WayWardCloud »