Author Topic: IBKR - Interactive Brokers  (Read 169149 times)

writser

Re: IBKR - Interactive Brokers
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2015, 02:40:39 AM »
Really? Is there a minimum portfolio size or minimum number of trades per month?

What are your fees on top of the 70 and 30 cents?

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=commission&p=stocks2

Maybe you should do some research first. They literally created this page to answer your questions. First hit on Google for 'IB tiered pricing'.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:48:03 AM by writser »
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.

wachtwoord

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2015, 05:09:37 AM »
Really? Is there a minimum portfolio size or minimum number of trades per month?

Maybe you should do some research first. They literally created this page to answer your questions. First hit on Google for 'IB tiered pricing'.

Of course I read that. If you check the (sourced) quote in my previous post you'll find the result a few lines down on the same Google query.

It didnt answer my question however. I think Hielko forgot his additional costs over the 70 cents in the tiered model.
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master"

Hielko

« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2015, 05:12:56 AM »

Of course I read that. If you check the (sourced) quote in my previous post you'll find the result a few lines down on the same Google query.

It didnt answer my question however. I think Hielko forgot his additional costs over the 70 cents in the tiered model.
I didn't.

wachtwoord

« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2015, 05:17:00 AM »

I didn't.

Cool thanks! Then I probably need to change (if the additional routing costs and such are indeed 0)
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master"

writser

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2015, 05:54:16 AM »
To answer your question: the clearing & transaction fees are orders of magnitudes smaller than the exchange fees so these are not very relevant. VAT treatment is the same for both fixed and tiered pricing so in practice you only have to take into account the exchange fees. If you mostly provide liquidity you are definitely cheaper off with the tiered structure. So yes, you should probably switch unless you prefer the transparency of the fixed option. Again, all this information was on the IB tiered pricing information page.

I'm wondering why you even bother to give your own opinion about this trade-off because it is obvious that you A) don't understand the tiered pricing structure and B) have never tried it.
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.

Ross812

• Lifetime Member
  • Move over KY
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2015, 06:09:05 AM »
I rarely go over the $10 minimum monthly charge anyway... I may switch to tiered pricing for a few months and compare the cost differences. Right now I stick with 200 share orders for $1 and make ten or less trades a month...
96% Fixed Income CDs, Muni, Corporate Debt - 4% SPX Options

rpadebet

« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2015, 06:55:38 AM »
I rarely go over the $10 minimum monthly charge anyway... I may switch to tiered pricing for a few months and compare the cost differences. Right now I stick with 200 share orders for $1 and make ten or less trades a month...

They have taken out the 10$ minimum for portfolios >$100K. So in that case tiered pricing works out better if u trade less frequently like few times a month.
You can't connect the dots looking forward you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something: your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever.
                       - Steve Jobs

Ross812

• Lifetime Member
  • Move over KY
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2015, 07:47:22 AM »

They have taken out the 10$ minimum for portfolios >$100K. So in that case tiered pricing works out better if u trade less frequently like few times a month.

Nice. I didn't notice. One of my on gripes about IB compared to other brokers is how all account systems are separated. Outside of running my yearly portfolio analysis I don't get into the 'Account Management' portal much as contributions are automatic. Is there a ledger of account actions on the 'Web Trader' portal or smartphone app? I used to use TWS for option trading but now 'web trader' is sufficient for what i need as far as order complexity. I wish the securities lending program was transparent within the trading portals as well. Accrued Interest is shown but I have to run a report to see what is currently being lent and at what rate.     
96% Fixed Income CDs, Muni, Corporate Debt - 4% SPX Options

rpadebet

« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2015, 07:56:51 AM »

Nice. I didn't notice. One of my on gripes about IB compared to other brokers is how all account systems are separated. Outside of running my yearly portfolio analysis I don't get into the 'Account Management' portal much as contributions are automatic. Is there a ledger of account actions on the 'Web Trader' portal or smartphone app? I used to use TWS for option trading but now 'web trader' is sufficient for what i need as far as order complexity. I wish the securities lending program was transparent within the trading portals as well. Accrued Interest is shown but I have to run a report to see what is currently being lent and at what rate.   

I have not done any securities lending yet, but as i see in the full TWS app you can configure to see live rebate rates. Not sure if you are referring to that. And as far as the Account management section goes, can't you setup automatic reports to be generated and emailed to you each day, so that you can refer to it directly? I do that and rarely log on to either TWS or account management unless i need to trade. The mobile TWS app is also very nice. paired with the SecurID app, I don't even have to use the cumbersome security card thingy. Its pretty automatic and you can enter read only mode if thats what you want. They have a in built link to mobile account management as well, although the reporting there is pretty basic.
You can't connect the dots looking forward you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something: your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever.
                       - Steve Jobs

wachtwoord

« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2015, 08:20:06 AM »

I'm wondering why you even bother to give your own opinion about this trade-off because it is obvious that you A) don't understand the tiered pricing structure and B) have never tried it.

See my first post in this topic. Tiered is a fixed plus a variable amount where the variable amount is impossible to estimate. Because the amount of trades I make is low I guessed that fixed would be better for me but I still have no idea how you are even estimating the variable costs per trade of the tiered system.