Author Topic: IBKR - Interactive Brokers  (Read 164307 times)

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
Re: IBKR - Interactive Brokers
« Reply #270 on: October 20, 2016, 06:48:23 AM »
I was actually hoping they could turn it into a HFT and spin it off to investors -  a sort of option. But I think it makes sense just to sell it and keep focusing on brokerage. Anyway, don't expect a special dividend. He wants to retain the equity. Seems like he's a bit annoyed that they have some what of a hard time luring big accounts from prime brokers that are part of big banks and thus TBTF.

If they were able to be competitive that might've been a good idea, but declining results at the MM over time, as well as their comments on it, seem to show that they are being outgunned and that this isn't a business with a lot of runway for them.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

merkhet

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #271 on: October 20, 2016, 07:07:33 AM »
Selling the market maker could be a nice catalyst, if only because it removes a lot of noise from the results and removes a distraction for management. Not sure what they'd do with the capital. Special dividend maybe? Or just hold on to it because Peterffy likes to be overcapitalized.

IIRC, they said on the conference call that they were keeping the capital in the company.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #272 on: October 20, 2016, 07:22:33 AM »
Selling the market maker could be a nice catalyst, if only because it removes a lot of noise from the results and removes a distraction for management. Not sure what they'd do with the capital. Special dividend maybe? Or just hold on to it because Peterffy likes to be overcapitalized.

IIRC, they said on the conference call that they were keeping the capital in the company.

Ok. I haven't been following as closely lately.

I know that they were taking out 10% of the MM equity every year and either having it pay for its growth or run-off over time.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

austin37

« Reply #273 on: October 24, 2016, 03:43:27 PM »
TD Ameritrade to Buy Scottrade in $4 Billion Deal

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/25/business/dealbook/td-ameritrade-scottrade-acquisition.html?smid=re-share&_r=0

• TD Ameritrade announced on Monday that it would acquire Scottrade Financial Services, a rival discount brokerage, for $4 billion, in a bid for scale at a time when small investors are losing their taste for stock trading.
  • TD Ameritrade, for example, said on Monday that its average client trades per day declined seven percent in the three months through September.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161024005562/en/TD-Ameritrade-Acquire-Scottrade

• Scottrade has built a strong reputation for outstanding client service. This year clients ranked the brokerage “Highest in Investor Satisfaction with Self-Directed Services” in the J.D. Power 2016 U.S. Self-Directed Investor Satisfaction StudySM.5 With a network of nearly 500 branches employing more than 1,000 investment consultants, the transaction will significantly expand TD Ameritrade’s distribution channels and further accelerate its asset gathering capabilities.

Seems like a transaction from a point of weakness, on balance looks to be a positive for IBKR.

BG2008

« Reply #274 on: November 10, 2016, 11:46:48 AM »
Has anyone used IB's trade desk services for block trading etc?  Would love feedback on execution, pricing,

benhacker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #275 on: November 30, 2016, 07:27:51 PM »
IB just announced the elimination of IRA account maintenance fees (were $7.50 / quarter for US custodied IRAs no matter account size).

They are taking IRA management duties in house and eliminating the fee pass through.

For those doing RIA work with small accounts, or those who value a broker who continues to lower fees instead of seeking to take more and more of your money, it's a good sign. ;)
Ben Hacker
Beaverton, Oregon - USA

rb

« Reply #276 on: November 30, 2016, 07:39:21 PM »
Let's hope they do the same in Canada :)

abyli

« Reply #277 on: November 30, 2016, 08:11:20 PM »
IB just announced the elimination of IRA account maintenance fees (were $7.50 / quarter for US custodied IRAs no matter account size).

They are taking IRA management duties in house and eliminating the fee pass through.

For those doing RIA work with small accounts, or those who value a broker who continues to lower fees instead of seeking to take more and more of your money, it's a good sign. ;)

I can not find the news, do you have the link to the IRA fee news? Thanks.

Bing

benhacker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #278 on: November 30, 2016, 09:15:59 PM »
I don't have a link, they flashed it as a bulletin in TWS.
Ben Hacker
Beaverton, Oregon - USA

kab60

« Reply #279 on: December 02, 2016, 05:46:06 AM »
Continued strong growth: https://investors.interactivebrokers.com/ir/main.php#

I'm mostly interested in number of accounts opened, and it was the highest so far this year (50 pct. higher than same Q last year). Darts (which fluctuates a lot) was also strong. I bought because of the long term growth potential, but I like the near term boost from higher rates and what I expect to be higher volatility following Trump (not sure on the last point, but I expect him to say a lot of crazy shit that will leave the market confused).