Author Topic: LILA - Liberty Global Latin America tracker  (Read 98887 times)

xtreeq

Re: LILA - Liberty Global Latin America tracker
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2016, 06:29:28 AM »
Thanks Liberty

Shooter MacGavin

« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2016, 10:08:38 AM »
anyone have any insight as to why LILA/K is off 11-12% today? is it a delayed reaction to earnings?

namo

« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2016, 12:15:54 AM »
That's my best guess as well. I bought more yesterday.

Shooter MacGavin

« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2016, 05:30:01 AM »
hi, it's actually because a wunderlich securities analyst lowered its price target from $59 to $43 while maintaining a buy.  I didn't see the note, but I'm sure it was the classic sell side "chasing the stock" phenomenon. 

PSV_Cannibal

« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2016, 09:28:11 AM »
I'm unsure as to why this stock keeps selling off (down 35% since beginning of June), but I suspect it's related to motivated selling; 119 shares were distributed to Liberty Global shareholders in early July. Trading volume has since been significantly higher. Can anyone attribute the drop in share price to specific events in the company?  I bought more yesterday and today.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2016, 04:25:36 PM »
Almost 300-slide presentation on LiLAC:

http://valueseekerinvestments.blogspot.com/2016/09/lilac-lilabk-liberty-latam-287-slides.html

Follow him on Twitter: @find_me_value
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Interesting podcast on aging research

frommi

« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2016, 10:05:23 PM »

http://valueseekerinvestments.blogspot.com/2016/09/lilac-lilabk-liberty-latam-287-slides.html

I always get question marks when i see so much stuff to defend an investment, shouldn`t a compelling investment be easy to describe?
While i don`t think that LILA is expensive here, i really wonder why Malone hasn`t bought one share in the open market until now when this is such a compelling opportunity? When i see how much he is selling of his other holdings, he should have plenty of cash.
Maybe it isn`t the opportunity of the year at an EV/EBITDA of 8 or 9. At a very cheap multiple of 5x2017 EBITDA it would trade down to 7$, at 6x it trades down to 14$. (And yes even LBTYA traded down to that level once in the past decade).

ratiman

« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2016, 02:42:10 AM »
So I didn't know anything about LILA before opening this slide deck, but I did own some UCOMA back in the day and remember that cable seemed like a poor fit for a region that's mostly islands and mountains. Wouldn't it just be easier to shoot up some satellites than try to wire a whole region that's so spread out? This is not one big contiguous market like the US. The whole argument for cable consolidation in the US is that there are economies of scale, but doesn't that argument cut the other way in Latin America? So I do a quick search for satellite . . . OK, satellite is crushing VTR in Chile. Alright, well maybe it's doing better on the islands . . . Dish and Movil moving into Puerto Rico, market shrinking. That seems ominous.  Closes slide deck . . .
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 02:52:25 AM by ratiman »

ni-co

« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2016, 04:55:49 AM »
So I didn't know anything about LILA before opening this slide deck, but I did own some UCOMA back in the day and remember that cable seemed like a poor fit for a region that's mostly islands and mountains. Wouldn't it just be easier to shoot up some satellites than try to wire a whole region that's so spread out? This is not one big contiguous market like the US. The whole argument for cable consolidation in the US is that there are economies of scale, but doesn't that argument cut the other way in Latin America? So I do a quick search for satellite . . . OK, satellite is crushing VTR in Chile. Alright, well maybe it's doing better on the islands . . . Dish and Movil moving into Puerto Rico, market shrinking. That seems ominous.  Closes slide deck . . .

Yeah, right, that Malone guy has no idea what he's talking about! Why own cable networks when you can own satellites?! Oh, wait, actually, he once controlled DirecTV, and then… —he sold it. I wonder why.

I think you still don't know anything about LILA.

I always get question marks when i see so much stuff to defend an investment, shouldn`t a compelling investment be easy to describe?
While i don`t think that LILA is expensive here, i really wonder why Malone hasn`t bought one share in the open market until now when this is such a compelling opportunity? When i see how much he is selling of his other holdings, he should have plenty of cash.
Maybe it isn`t the opportunity of the year at an EV/EBITDA of 8 or 9. At a very cheap multiple of 5x2017 EBITDA it would trade down to 7$, at 6x it trades down to 14$. (And yes even LBTYA traded down to that level once in the past decade).

He just bought a lot of it in a roundabout way — by agreeing to the CWC deal.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 04:57:57 AM by ni-co »

ratiman

« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2016, 05:11:59 AM »
Well I was the dope who rode TCI Satellite to zero when DTV and DISH where beating Malone with a club, so I don't think Malone is always right or wrong. Ad hominem arguments (eg Eddie Lampert must know what  he's doing) are the worst. If cable is so competitive, how come VTR surrendered 30 points of market share to satellite?  And what reason is there to think that trend won't continue?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:36:57 AM by ratiman »