Author Topic: LILA - Liberty Global Latin America tracker  (Read 112842 times)

Munger_Disciple

• Lifetime Member
Re: LILA - Liberty Global Latin America tracker
« Reply #340 on: January 16, 2019, 11:10:18 AM »
Unlike the LILA/CWC deal, Malone is not involved in Millicom. He owned the super voting shares of Liberty Global which negotiated the deal with CWC where he also owned a big chunk of the stock.

Millicom on the other hand is controlled by the Stenbeck family and CEO Mauricio Ramos is an outstanding manager (far superior to LILA management in my opinion). Ramos ran Liberty Chilean operations before becoming CEO of Millicom in 2015. So they understand the Malone playbook and any deal is likely to be fair to Millicom shareholders.

WayWardCloud

« Reply #341 on: January 16, 2019, 01:59:31 PM »
Some notes after watching the Nasdaq introduction conference

- I'm VERY impressed with Mauricio Ramos. Is there a chance he could lead the whole company operationally going forward and Malone lets Balan Nair focus on M&A (Sorry Balan!)? It would make sense since he's been doing so great running Millicom's assets, which are going to be the majority of the new company's assets, plus he used to run old LILA (Chile + PR) so he already knows those two well.
- Their broadband mix is >90% HFC docsis 3.0 (to answer my own question from a few posts ago) BUT their average customer only pays for 5Mb speed (!!). They have a lot of marketing power thanks to their ability to upsale speeds from 5 to 1000 with little (no?) added capex.
- They have a very interesting FinTech under "services" operations doing micro-lending in several of their countries under the Tigo brand but management expresses desire to focus on cable + 4G convergence execution for now.
- When it comes to Panama they can't say it but it is very clear they're anticipating a merger with Liberty's assets and are excited about joining forces there.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 02:19:51 PM by WayWardCloud »

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #342 on: January 17, 2019, 07:39:32 AM »
Let's remember that Malone first screwed over UGC shareholders when he merged with them back in 2005.  But the Schneiders were terrible stewards of shareholder value.

Munger_Disciple

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #343 on: January 17, 2019, 02:30:58 PM »
Let's remember that Malone first screwed over UGC shareholders when he merged with them back in 2005.  But the Schneiders were terrible stewards of shareholder value.

It is a very valid concern. You just never know with Malone entities. That is one thing I like about Berkshire and prefer it greatly over Liberty entities. There is no doubt as to whose interests are foremost on management's mind with Berkshire. There is no special deals for CEO or Chairman at Berkshire. I really think Malone should follow Buffett's example going forward. He should treat all his shareholders fairly and worry more about about his legacy than making $$ off his own shareholders.

skanjete

« Reply #344 on: January 22, 2019, 03:18:30 AM »
Does anyone know what the economic versus voting share is that Malone controls?

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

spark411

« Reply #346 on: February 01, 2019, 03:05:17 AM »
Genesis Asset Management reports 11.79% passive stake. 

Hope earnings are good and the stock reflects true value.

Saw that they received insurance proceeds.   Will be interested to see what they do with those funds.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

walkie518

« Reply #348 on: May 08, 2019, 04:05:35 PM »
down a fair amount today ... pricing could be compelling though not sure where or how to price

presentation: http://www.lla.com/PDF/presentations/LLA-Q1-2019-Investor-Call-Presentation.pdf

what I don't understand is why Liberty Global, for example, opted to sell all assets and concentrate regionally while LILA seems to be expanding its reach...

even looking at Charter's assets, these services tend to be regional duopolies with marginal scale outside of the foothold?

Maybe LBTY is very cheap here, maybe British competition is fierce ... Maybe LILA is cheap here but deserves a discount to more geographically concentrated players of scale like Charter?  If so, how much to own small, regional monopolies?  I suppose content licensing can be shared across regions in a single deal?

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #349 on: May 08, 2019, 05:46:37 PM »

down a fair amount today ... pricing could be compelling though not sure where or how to price

presentation: http://www.lla.com/PDF/presentations/LLA-Q1-2019-Investor-Call-Presentation.pdf

what I don't understand is why Liberty Global, for example, opted to sell all assets and concentrate regionally while LILA seems to be expanding its reach...

even looking at Charter's assets, these services tend to be regional duopolies with marginal scale outside of the foothold?

Maybe LBTY is very cheap here, maybe British competition is fierce ... Maybe LILA is cheap here but deserves a discount to more geographically concentrated players of scale like Charter?  If so, how much to own small, regional monopolies?  I suppose content licensing can be shared across regions in a single deal?

walkie, you have mistakenly posted a link to a fashion magazine. This is one of the most annoying things I have ever seen.