Author Topic: LILA - Liberty Global Latin America tracker  (Read 119627 times)

Spekulatius

Re: LILA - Liberty Global Latin America tracker
« Reply #350 on: May 08, 2019, 06:21:20 PM »

down a fair amount today ... pricing could be compelling though not sure where or how to price

presentation: http://www.lla.com/PDF/presentations/LLA-Q1-2019-Investor-Call-Presentation.pdf

what I don't understand is why Liberty Global, for example, opted to sell all assets and concentrate regionally while LILA seems to be expanding its reach...

even looking at Charter's assets, these services tend to be regional duopolies with marginal scale outside of the foothold?

Maybe LBTY is very cheap here, maybe British competition is fierce ... Maybe LILA is cheap here but deserves a discount to more geographically concentrated players of scale like Charter?  If so, how much to own small, regional monopolies?  I suppose content licensing can be shared across regions in a single deal?

walkie, you have mistakenly posted a link to a fashion magazine. This is one of the most annoying things I have ever seen.

LILA isnít a pure cable company. The C&W assets are of lower quality and this acquisition was a real dog, where Malone stuck it to the bagholders.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #351 on: May 08, 2019, 06:37:08 PM »

down a fair amount today ... pricing could be compelling though not sure where or how to price

presentation: http://www.lla.com/PDF/presentations/LLA-Q1-2019-Investor-Call-Presentation.pdf

what I don't understand is why Liberty Global, for example, opted to sell all assets and concentrate regionally while LILA seems to be expanding its reach...

even looking at Charter's assets, these services tend to be regional duopolies with marginal scale outside of the foothold?

Maybe LBTY is very cheap here, maybe British competition is fierce ... Maybe LILA is cheap here but deserves a discount to more geographically concentrated players of scale like Charter?  If so, how much to own small, regional monopolies?  I suppose content licensing can be shared across regions in a single deal?

walkie, you have mistakenly posted a link to a fashion magazine. This is one of the most annoying things I have ever seen.

LILA isnít a pure cable company. The C&W assets are of lower quality and this acquisition was a real dog, where Malone stuck it to the bagholders.

From an investor's point of view, is there a big difference between a legal scam and an illegal scam?

WayWardCloud

« Reply #352 on: May 09, 2019, 01:32:08 AM »
One thing that surprised me was to read that LILA offers connections >200mbps to most users while Millicom says even though its user base accesses broadband over a very capable HFC network the plans still average only 5-10mbps simply because demand is not there yet and Millicom wants to keep a large runaway to up-sale in the future. Are the two companies really offering that much of a different product quality? Is Millicom operating in less developed countries? Can't quite put those two numbers together in my head given that the two companies seem pretty comparable otherwise.

By the way I don't see why the shares are being slammed... Seems like a pretty boring/normal quarter report to me. They're executing in line with guidance and things are starting to look better although there's obviously still lots of work ahead. Am I missing something? What did people expect?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:46:27 AM by WayWardCloud »

Spekulatius

« Reply #353 on: May 09, 2019, 03:37:04 AM »
One thing that surprised me was to read that LILA offers connections >200mbps to most users while Millicom says even though its user base accesses broadband over a very capable HFC network the plans still average only 5-10mbps simply because demand is not there yet and Millicom wants to keep a large runaway to up-sale in the future. Are the two companies really offering that much of a different product quality? Is Millicom operating in less developed countries? Can't quite put those two numbers together in my head given that the two companies seem pretty comparable otherwise.

By the way I don't see why the shares are being slammed... Seems like a pretty boring/normal quarter report to me. They're executing in line with guidance and things are starting to look better although there's obviously still lots of work ahead. Am I missing something? What did people expect?

The report seems OK and in particular, I noticed that FCF is finally better.  However, just eyeballing the numbers, it is clear that C&W is a dog and most likely a slowly melting ice cube.

When you look at the big picture, it seems that the sharecount is rising faster than revenues, so it’s not clear that value is created though these acquisitions.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:22:58 AM by Spekulatius »
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #354 on: May 09, 2019, 07:35:30 AM »
C&W will probably improve.  I think the issue is that triple play or quad play is less and less appealing and mobile competition is high.  But for single play - high speed broadband - there's not much choice.

The sooner cablecos follow the CABO model, probably the better.

Value92

« Reply #355 on: June 11, 2019, 11:30:17 PM »
Unlike the LILA/CWC deal, Malone is not involved in Millicom. He owned the super voting shares of Liberty Global which negotiated the deal with CWC where he also owned a big chunk of the stock.

Millicom on the other hand is controlled by the Stenbeck family and CEO Mauricio Ramos is an outstanding manager (far superior to LILA management in my opinion). Ramos ran Liberty Chilean operations before becoming CEO of Millicom in 2015. So they understand the Malone playbook and any deal is likely to be fair to Millicom shareholders.

No, annual churn on quad play household bundles in Europe is 3% - itís worth it from a CLV perspective. CABO isnít doing it as they are subscale and get worse contract terms than the big guys.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #357 on: July 19, 2019, 06:08:24 AM »

What's one more dilution between friends.

HalfMeasure

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #359 on: July 19, 2019, 09:44:17 AM »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen