Author Topic: MU - Micron Technology Inc.  (Read 18497 times)

Josh4580

• Lifetime Member
Re: MU - Micron Technology Inc.
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 06:26:55 PM »
Thanks ericd

Ross812

• Lifetime Member
  • One of my favorite bourbons at any price!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:15:57 AM »
The street thinks DRAM prices have stabilized and will start to increase from here.  Mu was upgraded by several firms after it was up 8% yesterday on 3x normal volume.  I'm looking for a large beat on the first quarter's earnings due to DRAM stabilizing early and the popularity of Mu's superior NAND Flash memory.  Mu expects to get a 50/50 mix with NAND and DRAM this year which should smooth out their earnings stream. 
-Portfolio by size-
LKQ, ADS, BRK.B, FRFHF, AXP, DIS, TJX, SBUX, BF.B, NOV, Liberty Cos., ORLY, LCSHF, WLTW, GILD, BAM, V, TRIP, ATUSF, KMI

Myth465

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 08:40:36 AM »
Ram is on sale. I have seen about 15 deals on Laptop Ram. Just bought some for my new laptop.

Ross812

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 09:52:44 AM »
Good point Myth, I should add- If anyone wants to build/buy a computer, now is the time.  Components are really cheap right now.  Feel free to message me if you want recommendations or need help building your own computer. 
-Portfolio by size-
LKQ, ADS, BRK.B, FRFHF, AXP, DIS, TJX, SBUX, BF.B, NOV, Liberty Cos., ORLY, LCSHF, WLTW, GILD, BAM, V, TRIP, ATUSF, KMI

Myth465

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 12:06:06 PM »
Ross do you game. Im thinking of going all laptop and buying a high spec one. Is there any reason why you still use PCs. I have always built my own PC and it will be tough not to do it again, but I am beginning to like laptop with docking station.

Ross812

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 07:23:10 AM »
Myth, I don't play very graphically demanding games, though I may get the new Call of Duty on my computer instead of on my x-box.  The advantage of a DIY desktop over a high spec laptop is the ability to upgrade the computer in the future.  I find the price point for desktop video cards is at the 1.5-2 year mark.  When the new state of the art video card comes out it will cost $400 but drop to $100-150 after the next volley of new cards come out.  With a laptop you are going to have a video card that performs well for a couple years, but to upgrade the card you need to buy another expensive laptop. 

My setup at home is a data/media server with several TB's of space.  A desktop in my office and a netbook.  Any work I do of the desktop or the netbook is synced with the server so I don't lose anything.  I like having a full desktop setup with 2 screens and a nice mouse and keyboard when I am really trying to get work done, and I like my 2.5 pound netbook instead of an 8 pound laptop when I have to travel.

It is all personal preference though.  If you want to game on the go, then a nice laptop is your best bet.  Whatever you decide, I hope you put a Micron SSD and Ram in it! :-)   
-Portfolio by size-

Myth465

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 07:45:03 AM »
Thanks for the insight. I too like the dual screen, Logitech mouse and keyboard setup. Its tough when I have to use my laptop.

Lol just put some Micron ram in my Laptop. I am too cheap for SSD though. I like to buy off cycle.

Ross812

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 06:08:58 AM »
Update: I sold yesterday at $11.03.  I am a little leery of the market right now and I wanted to raise some cash.  I felt that Mu had a nice margin of safety at $7.00, but I donít want to hold it during a market correction at $11.00.  Micron grew to represent 25% of my portfolio and I can sleep much better at night now that I am 40% cash. 

Blasphemy Alert!!!

I would like to thank Jim Cramer for his Micron pumping last month!   
-Portfolio by size-

Ross812

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 06:40:26 AM »
Micron is down below $6 again. I haven't had time to read any of their reports, but from reading a few articles it seems they are moving from DRAM to NAND ram. Micron now supplies Intel, Crucial (Micron), and OCZ with their industry leading 25nm NAND ram for use in solid state disks. Yahoo is showing cash at $2.39/share and BV at $8.55.

I still like Mu from a fundamental business prospective. Tablets are using SSD technology and will drive demand for NAND ram. Tablet technology is advancing year by year like computer technology in the early 2000's and creates a market where consumers will upgrade their tablet every year or two. From an enterprise standpoint, I think we are 3-5 years out from seeing workstations utilize SSD. IT departments are slow to change and want to make sure the technology is proven before making a big change. What do you all think?
-Portfolio by size-

BargainValueHunter

• Lifetime Member
    • Registered American Broker-Dealers
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 11:42:03 AM »
Micron shares halted after CEO dies in plane crash...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/micron-ceo-steve-appleton-died-boise-plane-crash-15508116#.Tyw4QOU_xOQ

Steve Appleton, the chief executive and chairman of Micron, died Friday morning in a small, experimental fixed-wing plane crash, the company said. He was 51.

Micron spokesman Dan Francisco confirmed Appleton's death in a release, and trading in Micron stocks has been halted.

Appleton, a professional stunt plane pilot and former motocross racer, was the only one in the plane when it crashed at the Boise airport.

Micron Technology Inc. is one of the world's leading providers of advanced semiconductor solutions. Through its worldwide operations, Micron manufactures and markets a full range of DRAM, NAND and NOR flash memory.
Albert Einstein called compound interest "the greatest mathematical discovery of all time".