Author Topic: MU - Micron Technology Inc.  (Read 19525 times)

AJDelphi

• Blog
Re: MU - Micron Technology Inc.
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2015, 06:08:37 PM »
I certainly didn't expect Micron to get a buyout offer....

dbuch

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2015, 09:39:35 AM »
Samsung never seems to answer the question directly but in the latest call they do mention they have nothing to gain by lowering DRAM prices. I still think the three will remain rational with respect to supply which means stable prices and margin growth. Micron should continue to be able to save costs via node transitions while keeping ASPs relatively stable. This means higher revenue and margins.

"First of all, on the PC side, yes, weíre not offering a positive outlook on the PC demand either especially given the fact there it seems to be a large finished PC that PC set inventory, thatís still there in Q2 and that will continue on Q3. So that would remain slow. But I donít think itís type of a market where we would gain any by lowering our DRAM prices. I donít think, given the current PC DRAM situation, lowering prices on our PC DRAM would generate additional demand or create demand. And so given that market, itís not the type of market where we want to drive down our prices for the sake of market share."

walkie518

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2017, 11:54:41 AM »
anyone have a feel for today's drop?  earnings looked fairly solid...guidance for bit supply growth?

nkp007

• https://twitter.com/crowdturtle
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2018, 07:01:07 AM »
Anyone involved in this? Trading at 5-6x earnings, industry historically cyclical but some claim that cyclicality has been blunted because new supply is more expensive to bring online and much more diversified sources of demand (phones + data centers + autos + pc's).

DTEJD1997

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2018, 09:42:23 PM »
Hey all:

I've been kicking myself for a while about MU.

I use an incredible amount of RAM in one of my businesses.  The price of memory has MORE than tripled in the past 18 months.  The price of memory is now starting to be a real problem.

There are a lot fewer memory manufacturers now...so the industry will probably act in a rational fashion.

Micron Memory is also very high quality.  I've been starting to use AMD Ryzen processors which are very good when it comes to price/performance ratio.  ONE BIG PROBLEM with them though is that they are VERY finicky about the memory that they take.  Some manufacturers have a problem with this...but not Micron product.  As a result of this, I'm upping the purchase of MU memory.  Only in certain oddball cases will I use another manufacturer going forward.  It will be easier for me to standardize on MU memory.

I am going to assume that I am not the only having this issue with memory compatibility.

I think MU will be making even more $$$ than what the analysts think.

JRM

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2018, 04:07:04 AM »
I haven't invested in a semiconductor or memory company since SunEdison Semi was bought out by Global Wafers.  Back then the market hadn't 'turned' yet, but the bull thesis resolved around a demand wave on the horizon driven by smartphone refresh cycles and 'internet of things' adoption. 

I haven't looked closely at these companies, but is the recent demand due to blockchain demand instead (processors and GPUs for mining)?  If so, is the demand sustainable?

I think eventual adoption of 3D NAND and 3D Cross Point will be revolutionary when it comes down in price a little bit.

nickenumbers

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2018, 12:05:35 PM »
All,

I am looking at Micron, and it looks like a good little performer trading at a mid 6 PE.  The revenue growth and EPS growth look very good.

But, this recent closing year 2017, had revenue growth that was just abnormal high.  I assume it was price based, demand driving by limited supply.  It could be blockchain mania and the underlying hardware demand, etc.  Is the revenue sustainable?  Was there another cause of the revenue pop, price pop?

I don't think I know enough about the underlying hardware technology.

Does anyone have a good bear or bull case for this one?

brianr27

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2018, 12:52:55 PM »
Einhorn gave some insight on MU at the end of the last cycle. Although it's from Nov 2015, I think that it's still relevant. You can find it here:
https://www.gurufocus.com/news/373674/david-einhorn-comments-on-micron-technology
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 01:11:08 PM by brianr27 »