Author Topic: NFLX - Netflix  (Read 41257 times)

benchmark

Re: NFLX - Netflix
« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2017, 10:00:04 AM »
The short argument is that the streaming content development costs are really a recurring expense? If they have to keep investing the same amount in new content while revenue stayed flat net income would pretty quickly go negative.

They have to keep developing new content to differentiate and keep their subscribers. Besides that, I think that the 'convenience factor' goes against NFLX as well -- Amazon and google/youtube are just too convenient (one less account to remember and manage, etc.)

DooDiligence

• Pub 102 ICS
« Reply #191 on: July 17, 2017, 09:53:34 AM »
I really like Sling & would consider all these guys (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) to be super convenient.

I'll go months with very little TV time & have found shutting down services to be dead simple (no hiding behind multiple clicks.)

Sling gets my money more consistently (HGTV, Bloomberg, Comedy Central, El Ray & plenty of sports channels)

Just checked & they've put El Rey in one of the $5 bundles since my last hook up with them (I really like El Rey & it used to be included in the basic $20 service.)

The way they squeeze an extra fiver out of you for extended channels seems smart.
abc | abev | aapl | azo | bbh | cri | ew | esrx | ffxdf | nvo | srg | vde

crap I hang on to as a caution against repetition (OGX & VALE) both very small positions

-----

https://twitter.com/tunawish

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #192 on: July 17, 2017, 01:15:10 PM »
I'm tempted to short it :)

Hope you didn't end up shorting it:

#BREAKING: Netflix $NFLX Q2 Net Subscriber Additions (Domestic), 1.07M vs. 600,000 guidance
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | The Twelve Virtues of Rationality

atbed

« Reply #193 on: July 17, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »

#BREAKING: Netflix $NFLX Q2 Net Subscriber Additions (Domestic), 1.07M vs. 600,000 guidance

and 5.2M global net adds vs. 3.2M guidance. Growth is accelerating

I understand why some of you cancel your membership here and there or don't subscribe at all, but are you the exception or the norm? I think most think of the membership fee this way: it's the cost of a few cups of coffee each month.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:55:29 PM by atbed »

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #194 on: July 17, 2017, 02:43:02 PM »
I guess it indicates how tough it is for early adopters to evaluate company in Main Street (or even international Tornado?)

8)

(for non GGs, ref: http://boards.fool.com/the-technology-adoption-cycle-talc-14336664.aspx?sort=threaded )

Pelagic

« Reply #195 on: July 18, 2017, 08:31:51 AM »

Any thoughts on what percent of those additions were for one month? I know I renewed my subscription end of May to watch House of Cards and a few other things they added in the May - June period and have since canceled. Surprised Netflix hasn't offered a reduced rate for yearly subscribers to encourage longer term subscription.