Author Topic: NTDOY - Nintendo  (Read 73191 times)

Dalal.Holdings

Re: NTDOY - Nintendo
« Reply #270 on: November 25, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/mario-bros-set-to-jump-to-big-screen-in-movie-deal-with-universals-illumination-1510675881

It seems pretty clear now that we've passed the inflection point of how this company is looking at its IP treasure trove. They're still at early stages compared with what could be possible, IMO.

Yeah, current management seems to "get it" in terms of monetizing and strengthening their IP after maybe ~10 years of stagnation (highlighted by the Wii U). Stock now at record highs and Switch sold out at major retailers at the start of the core of holiday shopping season (sold out on Amazon right now). Shows that the Switch remains supply constrained and that demand largely outstrips supply. Releasing this console in March vs holiday season 2017 was a great move as the console has clearly built strong momentum coming into this season with each major release...

This momentum has translated into third party developers jumping on board out of necessity.

Meanwhile, the company seems to have created a favorable platform for indie game developers -- a relatively new area where Nintendo can further build out the appeal of its platform.

Company executing well thus far.

Spekulatius

« Reply #271 on: November 25, 2017, 07:06:19 PM »
I owned Nintendo in the past but decided to stay away this time.  I knew that the IP had tremendous value but -I thought management didn't "get it" (still kind of think that) given execution on mobile forays (pokemon, Mario) were pretty terrible.  The model they chose to monetize Mario was terrible.

It's super ironic since my wife is the #1 breath of the wild streamer on Twitch haha.   

That said, she tried to make YouTube videos commenting on her playing breath of the wild, and Nintendo Told her to take them down or give them 80% of the ad split.  80%...
I feel like they don't "get" that social media/hype is a great thing.

Your post is hugely ironic. Seems like your wife sees the value of Nintendo IP, but it goes over your own head. Pokemon Go's execution was terrible? News to me.

Even mild success in the app space will give high returns on capital, Nintendo should continue to tinker, they don't need to do anything revolutionary. Who cares if they fail a few times? They can just come out with more stuff on iOS/Android and continue tinkering. Failure in the console space is what would kill them, but the app space is all gravy. And so far in the console space, they are crushing it (thus raising the intangible value and future cash flows of their IP).

The YouTube protectionism is interesting but not too surprising coming from a Co. with valuable IP, just like Disney would do. They don't really need your supposed "free advertising" anyway, Switch sales still crushing it.

I think Pokémon go has been a bust. This could have been a long term franchise and became a fad, mostly due to the game being badly designed for long term players. When did you see a kid playing this on their phone the last time?
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

hobbit

« Reply #272 on: November 25, 2017, 07:45:57 PM »
I owned Nintendo in the past but decided to stay away this time.  I knew that the IP had tremendous value but -I thought management didn't "get it" (still kind of think that) given execution on mobile forays (pokemon, Mario) were pretty terrible.  The model they chose to monetize Mario was terrible.

It's super ironic since my wife is the #1 breath of the wild streamer on Twitch haha.   

That said, she tried to make YouTube videos commenting on her playing breath of the wild, and Nintendo Told her to take them down or give them 80% of the ad split.  80%...

Your post is hugely ironic. Seems like your wife sees the value of Nintendo IP, but it goes over your own head. Pokemon Go's execution was terrible? News to me.

Even mild success in the app space will give high returns on capital, Nintendo should continue to tinker, they don't need to do anything revolutionary. Who cares if they fail a few times? They can just come out with more stuff on iOS/Android and continue tinkering. Failure in the console space is what would kill them, but the app space is all gravy. And so far in the console space, they are crushing it (thus raising the intangible value and future cash flows of their IP).

The YouTube protectionism is interesting but not too surprising coming from a Co. with valuable IP, just like Disney would do. They don't really need your supposed "free advertising" anyway, Switch sales still crushing it.

I think Pokémon go has been a bust. This could have been a long term franchise and became a fad, mostly due to the game being badly designed for long term players. When did you see a kid playing this on their phone the last time?

pokemon go is consistently in top 15 grossing in app store..
https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/pokemon-go/app-ranking/?device=iphone&type=grossing-ranks&date=2017-11-24

The success of pokemon go allowed nintendo to sell tons of 3ds and pokemon sun and moon last year followed by ultra sun and moon this year

Nintendo was an early bird investor(<20 million) in Niantic  which raised 200 million last week..

The anticipation for the pokemon game for switch is crazy..and it will end up selling as well as the recent mario and lot of switch hardware as well

all of this has been catalyzed by pokemon go 

Patmo

« Reply #273 on: November 25, 2017, 09:58:45 PM »
I think you guys are both right, the game was a definite bust in terms of design (at least at the start, don't know if it's still bad) but it also strongly signaled a change in strategic direction for Nintendo. This game lit up so hard at launch, to boot, and turned out to be a financial success. I imagine it couldn't have hurt in anchoring the new strategic vision in Nintendo's offices as a good one.

Dalal.Holdings

« Reply #274 on: November 26, 2017, 07:20:45 AM »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-25-pokemon-go-players-catch-3bn-creatures-in-six-days-to-unlock-farfetchd

Over the past six days, the Pokémon Go community has made steady progress towards catching 3bn creatures. Yes, three billion - quite frankly, a ridiculous total. But, as of the early hours of Sunday morning - and comfortably within the time limit - this total has been reached.

3bn Pokémon in just over six days. And people say Pokémon Go is dead...

mrholty

« Reply #275 on: November 26, 2017, 07:55:11 PM »

Its interesting that you posted this.  I was out riding my bikes with my kids on a nice afternoon in Wisconsin (thanks Global Warming) and a car pulls up near a church.  Out pop 2 kids with a phone.  My son recognizes one and calls out to him.  Find out the kids are playing Pokemon Go and Dad is driving them around town. 

I know that kids still play it.

vegaseller

« Reply #276 on: December 07, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-12-01-nintendo-switch-was-the-best-selling-online-product-over-thanksgiving

Nintendo was the best selling console during black friday despite almost no discounts.

Dalal.Holdings

« Reply #277 on: December 08, 2017, 11:31:05 AM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/breath-of-the-wild-wins-game-of-the-year-at-game-awards-w513631

"Breath of the Wild" wins 2017's Game of the Year Award. Nintendo at the top of its game.