Author Topic: OSTK - Overstock.com  (Read 132242 times)

valuecfa

• Lifetime Member
Re: OSTK - Overstock.com
« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2012, 05:27:24 PM »
Well i am disappointed by a recent Overstock.com customer experience.

I tried to help next quarter's numbers by buying a travel book for a country i am visiting from Overstock, instead of the usual Amazon. Overstock actually beat every competitor's price i could find by 1%(that was a good sign).

I placed the order on October 29th. I leave on November 10th for a several week journey. I did the live chat with an overstock rep and they said standard shipping of books can take up to 3 weeks! I must have missed that if they disclosed it during the checkout process. The customer rep was nice enough, but said that he can not cancel the order, b/c it has been "processed", but not shipped yet. Anyway just venting....since the book will be useless to me if it arrives after Nov 9th, which the rep hinted seemed likely, especially since they are having additional shipping delays due to the hurricane. Not the best O.co experience.

Nevertheless, i will continue to hold my shares  :-\

DCG

• Lifetime Member
    • Venture Blend
« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2012, 07:56:54 AM »
Well i am disappointed by a recent Overstock.com customer experience.

I tried to help next quarter's numbers by buying a travel book for a country i am visiting from Overstock, instead of the usual Amazon. Overstock actually beat every competitor's price i could find by 1%(that was a good sign).

I placed the order on October 29th. I leave on November 10th for a several week journey. I did the live chat with an overstock rep and they said standard shipping of books can take up to 3 weeks! I must have missed that if they disclosed it during the checkout process. The customer rep was nice enough, but said that he can not cancel the order, b/c it has been "processed", but not shipped yet. Anyway just venting....since the book will be useless to me if it arrives after Nov 9th, which the rep hinted seemed likely, especially since they are having additional shipping delays due to the hurricane. Not the best O.co experience.

Nevertheless, i will continue to hold my shares  :-\

Any delivery time of 3 weeks means it most likely takes them 2 weeks just to ship your order. Unimpressive, especially considering that when there have been times I've ordered from Amazon around 9pm and the order was still shipped that day.

bookie71

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2012, 10:19:13 AM »
You should live in Alaska, sometimes priority mail takes 3 weeks from the lower 48.  Other times it might be 2-3 days, depends on whether it comes via highway or air (P.O.'s choice)
Always remember, Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

hellsten

« Reply #223 on: December 18, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »
Interesting developments at OSTK:
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/12/mahout/

Were saving $2 million a year with Mahout, and that never would have happened if not for the sort of experimental stuff were doing in the labs, says Bagley. Were discovering things that can then have benefit across the company.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1070741-has-overstock-com-turned-around

Byrne has been divesting his own holdings, selling 263,000 shares at the first of this month. The largest shareholder is now Canadian mutual fund manager Francis M.S. Chou, who holds 2.3 million shares. Chou and the other institutional holders might be ready to cash out, and if they do you'll make a fat profit. Even if they don't, you're less likely to get "Byrned" now than you were.

http://www.internetretailer.com/2012/11/29/small-online-retailers-rack-big-holiday-sales

Of the 25 large retailers it tracked from Black Friday to Cyber Monday, J.C. Penney connected customers to live agents by phone the fastest, in just 22 seconds on average compared with an average wait time of four minutes and 27 seconds for all the retailers over the four-day period.  Overstock.com Inc.s live chat agents responded fastest, in 22 second on average.

Behind the scenes at Overstock.com:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=23267030

Parsad

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: December 18, 2012, 04:48:34 PM »
That guy got it wrong.  Byrne still owns a ton of shares through his investment company...White Plains Investments.  Cheers! 
No man is a failure who has friends!

ASTA

« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2013, 09:03:25 AM »
I am wondering what others are doing with this stock?
As I am sitting on 170% gains it became 20% of my portfolio but sold half before at 15.93.
As the stock is climbing again to the 15 mark what should I do?
My latest idea is to wait for the 4th quarter results.

Parsad

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2013, 09:58:59 AM »
As I am sitting on 170% gains it became 20% of my portfolio but sold half before at 15.93.

You can thin it out a bit if you want, but the 4th Q results (not unlike BAC) should be pretty good.  I expect that OSTK made close to a dollar a share in the 4th Q.  Probably close to $1.15-1.25 for the year.  So if they can keep it going, it's not overvalued.  Cheers!
No man is a failure who has friends!

hellsten

« Reply #227 on: January 03, 2013, 10:05:51 AM »

I'm in a similar position. I have not sold any shares so far. I guess the 4th quarter results will be good, but I don't know how the market will react to it:
President Jonathan Johnson wouldn't venture a figure, but he says Q4 sales are tracking higher than Q4 2011. Overstock had three straight quarters of year-over-year revenue declines before notching a 2% rise in Q2 and 7% rise in Q3. He says Q4 is on track for another upswing in that trend.
"We've had a good quarter," Johnson told IBD.
With the economy, fiscal cliff and people nervous about their personal budgets, shoppers are always looking for deals, and "Overstock has always been the place to find things at the lowest price," he said.
Overstock's hottest sellers this year include tablet computers and furniture. And one of the most popular stuffed animals in U.S. history is making a comeback, Johnson says.
"On the toy front, Furby was a big seller this year," he said.
http://news.investors.com/technology/122412-638216-some-online-retailers-see-big-season.htm

I'm happy to hold on to OSTK. I have my seat belt on :)

valuecfa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #228 on: January 03, 2013, 10:23:31 AM »
Still holding all shares. Even after the run up, i believe the stock still has a lot of upside optionality over a short time period.

ASTA

« Reply #229 on: January 03, 2013, 10:32:49 AM »
Thanks for the replay.
Well Parsad I will buy you a expensive wine when I come to the Fairfax annual meeting this year or next.
Hellsten I think I am going to jump in the car with you and buckle up hope the car has airbags and good torque up ;D
And I am sure we can maybe rent a mini bus for the forum members how are on this little adventure.