Author Topic: RFP - Resolute Forest Products Inc  (Read 22530 times)

phil_Buffett

Re: RFP - Resolute Forest Products Inc
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 01:42:41 AM »
I bought a stake at around 13$. Then the stock price jumps fast. I sold with a 30% gain. The stock moves on and rises 20% more. After the bad q1 and price drop iam back in.  Now i will hold it longer. With a few things done right, the stock price could move very nice.

Chalk bag

• http://dislocatedvalue.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »
New blog post up about RFP. Your critique is welcomed.
http://dislocatedvalue.blogspot.com/2014/07/rfp-make-that-10-fcf-while-biz.html

phil_Buffett

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 03:58:51 AM »
New blog post up about RFP. Your critique is welcomed.
http://dislocatedvalue.blogspot.com/2014/07/rfp-make-that-10-fcf-while-biz.html

great post! thanks for that.

Long rfp

tinhb

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 06:24:59 AM »
Thanks a lot for the post :). I wonder how does the system of pension funding work. I know RFP contributes a certain amount each year but to whom? Does the money from contribution sits in the company fund or is it sent to a state pension fund? 

Spekulatius

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 11:03:21 AM »
RFP trades @16.5$ or 6.5x EBITDA/EV, which is not even taking into account the pension deficit. With the pension it trades in excess of 10x EBITDA/EV. This for a business that needs a lot of Capex to keep operating. Clearly at current valuations, you need much much better results going forward to make this work.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

Chalk bag

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 03:51:19 PM »
Thanks a lot for the post :). I wonder how does the system of pension funding work. I know RFP contributes a certain amount each year but to whom? Does the money from contribution sits in the company fund or is it sent to a state pension fund?

Tinhb, I think it's a great question for further due diligence. If anyone has answers to the Q I'd be all ears.

Chalk bag

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 03:58:51 PM »
RFP trades @16.5$ or 6.5x EBITDA/EV, which is not even taking into account the pension deficit. With the pension it trades in excess of 10x EBITDA/EV. This for a business that needs a lot of Capex to keep operating. Clearly at current valuations, you need much much better results going forward to make this work.

TTM EBITDA had been quite poor due to the weather, I think for the current set of assets, a more normal run-rate would be around 350-400 without hiccups, which brings the valuation to around 4.5-5x. Historically its lowest had been @ 4x and also that's when mgmt was buying back stock, so that gives me some comfort. Pension is an issue, but I think if one can't entrust Prem to run the thing or one believes interest rate has further to drop,  there are probably bigger problems to be had. If you read my post I have went through it at length. The way I see it is, run the pension for 2 more years and w/ 1% rise in rates the problem goes away entirely.

CapEx is certainly a problem. Think they are directing it to pulp and sawmills where the pricing & growth are present. Hopefully the ROIC there is a good 2-3 years out. I do buy the integrated model though.

After all, not a whole lot of catalyst and a mediocre business at best. But I think if wood prices soars, or management gets creative w/ the newsprint asset (ie MLP it like Perry suggests), there's a lot of value to be had. Massive FCF a few years out too.

On the MLP point, I think it's highly doable given the distress (low multiples), structure (top 5 controls 80% of US capacity), and RFP's nature (80%+ virgin fiber so it will qualify). They can probably explore this option a few years out once the NOLs are used, or meanwhile they could even get taken out for all of the above reasons.

benhacker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 08:13:14 AM »
Chalk Bag, do you have any updated thoughts here?
Ben Hacker
Beaverton, Oregon - USA

kfh227

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 06:50:13 AM »
This stock keeps going up and down like a yo-yo.  it's up near the top again.  Should I Sell?  I'm using margin so I am thinking about unloading some of this position.

zenith

• "Lost Time is never found again"
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2015, 01:44:20 PM »
Q1 sales fell 9 percent