Author Topic: BBRY - Blackberry (Formerly RIM)  (Read 678337 times)

TwoCitiesCapital

Re: BBRY - Blackberry (Formerly RIM)
« Reply #3140 on: September 24, 2019, 09:59:04 AM »
While it's a total speculation on my part, generally the market has rewarded buying after at this price, and after a down move on earnings.

Just like it has typically rewarded those who sold after good earnings to repurchase at a later date.

Small position established today simply banking that this will, once again, prove to have been an attractive entrance price to sell when things are a bit less pessimistic.

Dazel

« Reply #3141 on: September 25, 2019, 07:52:40 AM »

BlackBerry needs to go on the block...it is worth a lot to someone else who gets a multiple...Salesforce,VMware-Dell, shopify, Aws, Microsoft and the other start ups that trade for 20x revenue.

Fairfax needs to end this debacle...itís trading for the value of the IP. I am wondering whether or not Chen and Prem have gone into a coma...Time to wake up....get creative. Hire someone young and change the name to Cylance...do a joint venture on the spark offering with someone big share the cost and gain more access or just sell it....

I am buying here...Fairfax or Chen or both have to go...Fairfax is letting Chen do a half assed job (being nice) a strategic shareholder would not let this happen they are too old and donít seem to care this is a young entrepreneurs game or giant. Share price is below when Chen took over in 2013...time for change or a sale.

Maybe after this latest massive drop Blackberry will get the activist they need buying in...it is worth a lot of money to them if that is the case. Fairfax nice strategy has not worked here...need an operator other companies in this space values are flying!

Crowdstrike $14b...

Dazel

« Reply #3142 on: September 25, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »

I admit I thought Fairfax and Chen were doing the right thing here great clean up etc...now that they built a software company their share price is trading like a lumber company....an activist could liquidate for a large profit...Fairfax ďneedsĒ someone to take control of some of their investments their passive strategy has not worked for many years... I am sad to say. As Fairfax sharholder it is disheartening...canít imagine being a long term Blackberry shareholder. How is Chen still there?

Private equity, ackman, Loeb, Einhorn....anyone feel like an easy multi billion profit in short period of time? Why doesnít Fairfax make it?!

Dazel

jfan

« Reply #3143 on: October 02, 2019, 07:44:52 PM »
A friend and I were chatting over dinner about his Blackberry investment. It seems that the market is left this company for dead despite the possibility of some green shoots developing. We are no experts in this space, but the market seems to have aside almost zero value to Cylance and Blackberry technology services. By our napkin based math, all Blackberry needs to do is to achieve 6% FCF growth in this massive growth market to provide investors with an acceptable return.

Does anybody have a sense about management's effectiveness in motivating employees, views on risk taking and innovation, and thoughts on team organization to maximize execution velocity?

Spekulatius

« Reply #3144 on: October 09, 2019, 04:06:44 PM »
A friend and I were chatting over dinner about his Blackberry investment. It seems that the market is left this company for dead despite the possibility of some green shoots developing. We are no experts in this space, but the market seems to have aside almost zero value to Cylance and Blackberry technology services. By our napkin based math, all Blackberry needs to do is to achieve 6% FCF growth in this massive growth market to provide investors with an acceptable return.

Does anybody have a sense about management's effectiveness in motivating employees, views on risk taking and innovation, and thoughts on team organization to maximize execution velocity?

Itís left for dead, because there doesnít seem to be any organic growth. They acquired Cylance is where all theyíre neue growth is coming from, but with this new business are increased expenses. Their IoT business is actually down YoY. I donít claim to be an expert, but a well managed software company should have positive operating leverage and with BB that is not the case. They need to show organic growth and positive operating leverage.

Then, last not least, another thing I noticed is that their long term operating income target of 20-25% is low for a software company. I have no idea why this is the case, perhaps their business is inherently less profitable,or they set the target low.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.