Author Topic: SHLD - Sears  (Read 1935683 times)

BargainValueHunter

• Lifetime Member
    • Registered American Broker-Dealers
Re: SHLD - Sears
« Reply #8730 on: January 09, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »
November 2004:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2004-11-21/the-next-warren-buffett

If anyone is destined to inherit Buffett's perch as the leading investment wizard of his day, it just might be Edward S. Lampert. Since he started ESL in 1988 with a grubstake of $28 million, he has racked up Buffett-style returns averaging 29% a year. His top-drawer clients range from media mogul David Geffen and Dell Inc. (DELL ) founder Michael S. Dell to the Tisch family of Loews Corp. (LTR ) and the Ziff family publishing heirs.

Only 42, Lampert has amassed a fortune estimated at nearly $2 billion. So focused is he on his goals that he was back at work negotiating a big deal two days after his kidnappers released him. Says Thomas J. Tisch, son of Loews's founder Laurence Tisch: "Eddie is one of the extraordinary investors of our age, if not the most extraordinary."

July 2013:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-11/at-sears-eddie-lamperts-warring-divisions-model-adds-to-the-troubles

In January, eight years after Lampert masterminded Kmart’s $12 billion buyout of Sears in 2005, the board appointed him chief executive officer of the 120-year-old retailer. The company had gone through four CEOs since the merger, yet former executives say Lampert has long been running the show. Since the takeover, Sears Holdings’ sales have dropped from $49.1 billion to $39.9 billion, and its stock has sunk 64 percent. Its cash recently fell to a 10-year low.

Although it has plenty of assets to unload before bankruptcy looms, the odds of a turnaround grow longer every quarter. “The way it’s being managed, it doesn’t work,” says Mary Ross Gilbert, a managing director at investment bank Imperial Capital. “They’re going to continue to deteriorate.”

January 2017:

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-failing-stores-closing-edward-lampert-bankruptcy-chances-2017-1

The meeting in which employees were instructed not to say "consumer" was the last straw for one senior executive who spoke to Business Insider.

It was emblematic of an overarching problem plaguing Sears: Lampert "doesn't want to hear anything that challenges his vision," even if it could help improve business, he said.

The executive sought guidance from a colleague after the meeting, who advised him to jump ship.

"He said, 'On your watch, this thing is going to sink,'" the executive said. "This is when I knew I had to leave."

Albert Einstein called compound interest "the greatest mathematical discovery of all time".

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8731 on: January 09, 2017, 12:35:29 PM »
Yet another HFer, Fed chairman, or CEO who has ODed on Ayn Rand.

John Hjorth

« Reply #8732 on: January 09, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »
The only problem I have with this is: How did this escalate into 874 pages on this board? Oh well, that may just be me <pressing the unnotify button now>
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #8733 on: January 09, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »
When a management with a reputation for brilliance tackles a business with a reputation for bad economics, it is the reputation of the business that remains intact.........Buffett

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #8734 on: January 09, 2017, 01:12:34 PM »
The only problem I have with this is: How did this escalate into 874 pages on this board? Oh well, that may just be me <pressing the unnotify button now>

Well, COBF did it again! Almost all of the most frequented names under Investment ideas have been mediocre to plain duds. You can sort the Investment Ideas section by # replies and see that. I even posted the lack lustre to poor stock price performance for the most popular names from post #1 to post #xxxxx here in 2015. http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/general-discussion/what-happened-to-this-board/msg223221/#msg223221

Stay away from the most discussed stocks on COBF!

fareastwarriors

« Reply #8735 on: January 09, 2017, 01:40:57 PM »

Well, COBF did it again! Almost all of the most frequented names under Investment ideas have been mediocre to plain duds. You can sort the Investment Ideas section by # replies and see that. I even posted the lack lustre to poor stock price performance for the most popular names from post #1 to post #xxxxx here in 2015. http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/general-discussion/what-happened-to-this-board/msg223221/#msg223221

But it's fun even you're not long/short to partake, can't resist!

arcube

« Reply #8736 on: January 09, 2017, 02:17:33 PM »
Yet another HFer, Fed chairman, or CEO who has ODed on Ayn Rand.
Well said!

Mephistopheles

« Reply #8737 on: January 09, 2017, 02:30:16 PM »

At least in SHLD case, lately it's the most frequented name because it's a dud.

John Hjorth

« Reply #8738 on: January 09, 2017, 03:09:25 PM »

But it's fun even you're not long/short to partake, can't resist!

fareastwarriors,

It's OK.

Personally, I apologize if I have been condescending prior in this topic towards SHLD longs on this board. Personally, I just don't get it [SHLD].

Somehow, it's all about the purpose of the trade, I know some people on this board [sharperdigaan among others] made a short term killing some time ago of the then short squeeze, based on the meticulous work of Luke 5:32.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

bennycx

« Reply #8739 on: January 09, 2017, 04:10:01 PM »

I guess because if it is a STUD, people are busy buying and not posting - that is what I do anyway! But if it is a dud, people keep arguing over how bad or good it is!