Author Topic: SHLD - Sears  (Read 2606221 times)

doughishere

Re: SHLD - Sears
« Reply #9140 on: March 09, 2018, 02:21:47 PM »
Does Eddie actually gain anything by doing stuff like this? Serious question.

https://www.denverite.com/k-marts-dead-now-councilwoman-wants-city-buy-lot-46633/

walt373

« Reply #9141 on: March 11, 2018, 03:38:35 PM »
Some thoughts on SHLD/Fairholme here from Yet Another Value Blog: http://www.yetanothervalueblog.com/2018/02/some-things-and-ideas-february-2018.html

LR1400

« Reply #9142 on: March 12, 2018, 09:10:47 AM »
Some thoughts on SHLD/Fairholme here from Yet Another Value Blog: http://www.yetanothervalueblog.com/2018/02/some-things-and-ideas-february-2018.html

That is a cool blog. I have never seen it before.

Some notes/comments:

1. Buffett predicted that Lampert wouldn't succeed precisely because Buffett had also failed in retail.

2. Being smart and a good businessman can't save a tough business, more accurately, it usually can't save a tough industry.

I am in a shit industry and I know a guy in an adjacent industry who is killing it, I'm smarter than him, yet he's crushing me. Happens a lot. Unfortunately I don't have the power to force an exit from our industry.

Too bad Lampert didn't exit. His mistake would then be viewed as just a mistake and he could move on to making money.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:37:05 AM by LR1400 »

Foreign Tuffett

« Reply #9143 on: March 26, 2018, 05:17:24 AM »
I expect this new interview with Eddie Lampert will send COB&F into a frenzy.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/03/the-strange-odyssey-of-hedge-fund-king-eddie-lampert-sears-kmart

doughishere

« Reply #9144 on: April 23, 2018, 03:17:17 PM »
I think the best thing about this thread right now is how quiet is been considering where we've been the last 9 moths or so. Man, bonds rallying harder than Puerto Rico. Dilution of shareholders. Bruce Blasting out. Well, partly blasting out. Eddie keeps borrowing and surprisingly the assets keep getting sold(we at the end yet?). Supposedly high-short borrow. That letter, as crazy as it sounded, a few months ago from...I forget who.

Has this been a wild ride or what? Now, you got to think...with a day like today and the letter Eddie sent to the board, a event you think would at least garner a mention, a nod, something....anything.

And yet we have nothing. And its just past 6pm Eastern. Which can mean only one thing, we got our-self a mexican stand off.

The Sears saga continues.

Sears C.E.O. Says His Firm Would Buy Retailerís Kenmore Brand.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/23/business/sears-edward-lampert.html
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:45:59 PM by doughishere »

benhacker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9145 on: April 24, 2018, 05:25:59 AM »
you have a position Doug?

I exited my SSRAP end of last year... had bids for the '18's last month, but no fills.  Just watching now.

By the way, the borrow is no longer high (<20%) and has been falling regularly for a while.
Ben Hacker
Beaverton, Oregon - USA

doughishere

« Reply #9146 on: April 24, 2018, 06:51:17 AM »
you have a position Doug?

I exited my SSRAP end of last year... had bids for the '18's last month, but no fills.  Just watching now.

By the way, the borrow is no longer high (<20%) and has been falling regularly for a while.

I bought common ~$6 around jan of last year and bailed myself out with the bonds more recently. Probably overpaid and sniped some of your bids. Its been uh.....interesting.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:57:32 AM by doughishere »

benhacker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9147 on: April 24, 2018, 08:07:38 AM »
I had a timely (cough) I thought sale of SSRAP and missed one coupon and now they are trading at $13 which is surprising as they are flat with the rest of SSRAP complex but clearly market anticipating a filing or massive exchange - both are bad (or not good) for SSRAP.

However, I still think a chance it makes it, and maybe these become ESL debt with the latest offer... wouldn't that be a strange situation. :)
Ben Hacker
Beaverton, Oregon - USA

doughishere

« Reply #9148 on: April 24, 2018, 11:33:27 AM »
I had a timely (cough) I thought sale of SSRAP and missed one coupon and now they are trading at $13 which is surprising as they are flat with the rest of SSRAP complex but clearly market anticipating a filing or massive exchange - both are bad (or not good) for SSRAP.

However, I still think a chance it makes it, and maybe these become ESL debt with the latest offer... wouldn't that be a strange situation. :)

do you know what happened to that website that listed all their props...it got taken down for some reason.

benhacker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9149 on: April 24, 2018, 11:25:07 PM »
No, I don't know.  Haven't followed closely for >6 months...
Ben Hacker
Beaverton, Oregon - USA