Author Topic: TDG - Transdigm  (Read 104576 times)

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
TDG - Transdigm
« on: March 16, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted, with the popularity of Outsiders, so I decided to start a thread. Thorndike (the author) brings up the company on page 34.

TDG is a components manufacturer. He says that it has grown cash flow at a compound rate of over 25% since 1993 and is similar to Capital Cities back in the day.  He goes on to say that they company has a nice moat due to how their parts are engineered into military and commercial aircraft.

It also has decent insider ownership.

I have virtually no experience in this sector so I wanted to throw the idea out there!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 10:54:23 AM by stahleyp »
Paul

wellmont

Re: TDG - Transdigm
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 11:39:15 AM »
this one is on my buy in a bear market list...

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 11:50:16 AM »
Yeah, wellmont, I was thinking about that too. It's certainly not cheap right now.
Paul

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 01:23:09 PM »
It's essentially a rollup compny of avionics, aviation, and tech parts manufcturers. I looked at it shortly after their ipo in 2007 and passed :(. They weren't cheap then either, and based on there moat and fcf I don't think they will get cheap.  Alan Fournier of Pennant bought them early on and still holds all the shares. Big winner for them.

Warburg Pincus was the sponsor.  I've tracked a number of Warburg Pincus companies that have done very well after ipo, so I watch for them now. Don't want to make the same mistake again.

giofranchi

• Twitter: @giovfranchi
    • Master School Politecnico di Milano
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 06:29:06 AM »
Recent post by The Brooklyn Investor:

http://brooklyninvestor.blogspot.it/2013/10/transdigm-group-tdg.html

giofranchi
Portfolio: AAPL, AMZN, BABA, BOSS, BRK.B, FB, FFH, FIH.U, FINX, FWONA, GOOG, IBB, JPM, LBRDA, MKL, NKE, QQQ, SFTBF, SMH, TCEHY, V, XBI, XT

jay21

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 06:33:47 AM »
It's essentially a rollup compny of avionics, aviation, and tech parts manufcturers. I looked at it shortly after their ipo in 2007 and passed :(. They weren't cheap then either, and based on there moat and fcf I don't think they will get cheap.  Alan Fournier of Pennant bought them early on and still holds all the shares. Big winner for them.

Warburg Pincus was the sponsor.  I've tracked a number of Warburg Pincus companies that have done very well after ipo, so I watch for them now. Don't want to make the same mistake again.

If you are sure that these guys have a huge moat and will grow earnings or cash flow a share by > 10%, then a 20x multiple can be cheap imo.
@jay_21_

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Watch this, please

Cunninghamew

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 06:53:47 AM »
Ha.. I was reading about them yesterday. Wally Weitz's shop post brief blurbs on companies every so often that are worth reading. Here is their post on TDG

https://weitzinvestments.com/resources/documents/Literature_and_Publications/About/News/Analyst%20Corner.pdf

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Watch this, please

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 04:52:23 PM »
ha. I was getting ready to post that too, Liberty.   ;)

As a side note, it looks like a couple of the tiger funds have a position in it too.
Paul