Author Topic: TGT - Target  (Read 11389 times)

50centdollars

Re: TGT - Target
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 10:48:05 AM »
Funny thing is that whenever I go to the US, I shop at Target but I would never go to a target here in Canada. They never did there research before coming here. Canadians love target but we love the US target with US products and US prices. We don't want/need a Canadian target with Canadian products and Canadian prices.
50centdollars

mrholty

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »
TGT's mgmt. has been living off past success since 2008 (if not earlier).  CEO Rob Steinhafel was named CEO in 2008 and has not done much until he was forced to resign in early 2014 due to the data breach. 

I graduated from UW-Madison at Target hired aggressively in the B-school there for marketing/merchandising positions.   It was their primary school for hiring even over Minnesota-Twin Cities even though that campus in a few miles from their corporate office.  I therefore had a few friends who worked there and one former intern of mine who works there today.  In fact I went to their presentation on campus and Rob Steinhafel was the presenter.  I remember this as his last name is the name of a regional furniture store in the area and it came up that he chose Target over the family business out of school thinking he would get experience for a different retailer and then come back to work for the family business.  He loved and grew with Target and never left. 

During their expansion in the late 90s from a Shopko/Pamida crappy store to the upper middle competitor to WalMart today the business was all analytics and inventory mgmt.  Expectations of staff were high and 70 hours weeks were the norm.  I had a friend where she was responsible for towels at every store nationwide.  She was responsible for translating what they buyers choose into how much to buy, where to place by store and then daily responsible for ensuring appropriate stock.  Since she had towels that was normal bathroom towels and beach towels so she had to track weather patterns to have appropriate beach towels for when the heat hit, etc. Like an account at the big 4 or an I-bank - 80% quit after 2 years, she got promoted and oversaw a staff and did this for 10 years until quitting to be a stay at home mom.  I saw her a year ago and we had a few drinks about those years as I worked a couple miles away and we went out a few times.  She told me the 70 hours weeks were gone and much more relaxed 40-50 hour weeks and too much staff for accountability. 

I'd guess this was part of their problems in Canada. 
No position.

augustabound

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »
We don't want/need a Canadian target with Canadian products and Canadian prices.

No, that would be Zellers. And it was pathetic.
"Serenity now, insanity later." - Lloyd Braun

bci23

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 09:39:56 PM »
TGT's mgmt. has been living off past success since 2008 (if not earlier).  CEO Rob Steinhafel was named CEO in 2008 and has not done much until he was forced to resign in early 2014 due to the data breach. 

I graduated from UW-Madison at Target hired aggressively in the B-school there for marketing/merchandising positions.   It was their primary school for hiring even over Minnesota-Twin Cities even though that campus in a few miles from their corporate office.  I therefore had a few friends who worked there and one former intern of mine who works there today.  In fact I went to their presentation on campus and Rob Steinhafel was the presenter.  I remember this as his last name is the name of a regional furniture store in the area and it came up that he chose Target over the family business out of school thinking he would get experience for a different retailer and then come back to work for the family business.  He loved and grew with Target and never left. 

During their expansion in the late 90s from a Shopko/Pamida crappy store to the upper middle competitor to WalMart today the business was all analytics and inventory mgmt.  Expectations of staff were high and 70 hours weeks were the norm.  I had a friend where she was responsible for towels at every store nationwide.  She was responsible for translating what they buyers choose into how much to buy, where to place by store and then daily responsible for ensuring appropriate stock.  Since she had towels that was normal bathroom towels and beach towels so she had to track weather patterns to have appropriate beach towels for when the heat hit, etc. Like an account at the big 4 or an I-bank - 80% quit after 2 years, she got promoted and oversaw a staff and did this for 10 years until quitting to be a stay at home mom.  I saw her a year ago and we had a few drinks about those years as I worked a couple miles away and we went out a few times.  She told me the 70 hours weeks were gone and much more relaxed 40-50 hour weeks and too much staff for accountability. 

I'd guess this was part of their problems in Canada. 
No position.

I can second everything mentioned above. Instead of 40 - 50 hour work weeks try more like 30 - 35 though. There is so much fat at that company its insane. After the turnaround at Best Buy is complete, Hubert and Sharon should just walk down the street and rinse/repeat with Target. EZ Game.

CEO was Gregg not Rob :)

bizaro86

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 07:29:38 AM »
Some of the Canadian leases are good. They have good spaces in Calgarys two best malls, including one where sears canada sold their lease to Nordstrom for $$$.

bci23

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 09:43:40 PM »
If anyone wants a look into the future for the next two years at Target, just look what has gone on at Best Buy the last two years. There is nothing wrong with Target's business, Cornell just needs to tighten up a few things. His game plan has already been created by the execs at Best Buy. Today was the the early innings of that game plan.

bookie71

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 09:21:59 AM »
Good article in Fortune
http://fortune.com/target-new-ceo/
Always remember, Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

Junto

• Lifetime Member
    • My Company
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 01:17:07 PM »
I went long today at $55.25. Appears oversold, great yield here.

mbreject

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »
I feel as if Target is extremely lucky that they haven't had a class action lawsuit brought against them for overcharging yet. It's been going on for years and the only thing I've seen them do about it is put stickers at the checkout till, telling customers to let the cashier know if there's a price discrepancy.

CorpRaider

• The Corpraider
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »
Retail = insta-no