Author Topic: WMT - Walmart Inc  (Read 43744 times)

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
Re: WMT - Walmart Inc
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2018, 08:40:57 AM »
60% of the U.S. population lives within 5 minutes of a Wal-Mart, and 96% lives within 20 miles.  Wal-Mart has a temporary solution for the last mile and instant delivery problems, let the customer come and pick it up.  There are many times two day shipping simply will not suffice and I drive to Wal-Mart.  If they have it waiting for me to pick up so I don't get out of my car, even better. 

I recommended to family to invest in Wal-Mart when it was in the 50's; I wish I took my own advice.

I bought in the 50's when the min wage bill passed and WMT took a dip.

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
Re: WMT - Walmart Inc
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »
60% of the U.S. population lives within 5 minutes of a Wal-Mart, and 96% lives within 20 miles.  Wal-Mart has a temporary solution for the last mile and instant delivery problems, let the customer come and pick it up.  There are many times two day shipping simply will not suffice and I drive to Wal-Mart.  If they have it waiting for me to pick up so I don't get out of my car, even better. 

I recommended to family to invest in Wal-Mart when it was in the 50's; I wish I took my own advice.

What I find when ordering is that there are many items that is not in their store inventory, so shipping is the only option. The choice they are giving customers is ship-to-home or ship-to-store. Where the item ships from a 3rd party, I'm seeing from the labels, that it is shipped by UPS to the store! I'm sure that puts them in a great negotiating position with UPS et al.

To add, these 3rd party sales are truly incremental sales, essentially it is approaching the "everything catalog" and it attracts a different demography (upper middle class, former Prime members, like myself) to the store!

I too would like the drive by pick up convenience, instead of going inside the store. It is already happening with grocery, it is probably a matter of time.