Author Topic: TGT - Target  (Read 10270 times)

villainx

Re: TGT - Target
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 08:24:53 PM »
That I'd all anecdotal, but my question to the board is do you feel Target has a moat that will earn a reasonable return of capital over time?

I hardly shop at Walmart, and I prefer Target more.  I find the Target stuff a little better quality, - and some of the store brand stuff has good reputation for quality. As well as, familiarity with the layout of Target stores motivates my shopping there too.   

At the same time, there aren't Walmarts near me.  Though I do stop by Walmarts when I'm on vacation just to check it out and compare. 

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 09:06:36 AM »
The Walmart was clean and inviting when I went there later for more milk. I also stopped at a Target on my way to a hike for bottles water, and found it dirty, disorganized, and lacking in price stickers,  which always annoys me.

We have two Targets near us: a large one and a small one that opened in former Shaws supermarket.
Both are new(ish) stores with pretty modern layout. Definitely not dirty/disorganized.
OTOH, we don't shop in either of them, so...

We don't quite understand the logic of opening Target in former Shaws. Target has both clothes and groceries in what was not a huge grocery store previously. Which means that both clothes and food selection is very limited. My wife went there when they opened and gave $5($10?) free coupon, but we never went there afterwards. We would have been much happier if a real grocery shop opened there...

FWIW.
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2018, 05:27:48 PM »
Target carries a full line of Apple products (in store & online) including the iPhone X (WalMart only offers the 8.)

Why haven't they capitalized on a slightly higher priced, more attractively designed, better quality inventory, sold in a nicer atmosphere?
abc 2.5 | abev 1.5 | aapl 0.8 | bbh 3.1 | brk.b 7.2 | cvs 5.4 | dva 5.3 | dis 3.9 | ew 2.0 | gpc 2.6 | mo 4.1 | nvo 4.8 | sftby 1.9 | vde 4.0

(%'s held at cost, present value allos are slightly to significantly higher. includes a slowly dwindling cash pile.)

-----

https://twitter.com/tunawish