Author Topic: TSLA - Tesla Motors  (Read 438098 times)

fareastwarriors

Re: TSLA - Tesla Motors
« Reply #2040 on: August 10, 2018, 08:28:52 AM »
Tesla shareholders who sell if Musk takes electric-car maker private will be big losers for one reason: A.I.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/10/tesla-is-undervalued-overlooked-lead-in-ai-will-drive-stock-higher.html

Dynamic

« Reply #2041 on: August 10, 2018, 08:40:58 AM »
Tesla shareholders who sell if Musk takes electric-car maker private will be big losers for one reason: A.I.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/10/tesla-is-undervalued-overlooked-lead-in-ai-will-drive-stock-higher.html

I've been hearing things on various YouTube channels this week that because their custom chip being used in development is designed specifically for computer vision rather than as a generic graphics card, it has 10 times the frame rate of Nvidia's best for about the same cost and power consumption and it is designed with the same form factor and pin-out to act as a drop in upgrade for owners using Autopilot 2's Nvidia hardware at present. (That's from memory and I'm not sure what their sources were)

Whether that's accurate and sufficient for such a valuation, I wouldn't venture a guess, but it could be interesting to see what develops.

I guess this privatization buyout plan is what Musk had in mind as 'the mother of all short burns' a quarter ago, rather than the earnings release and crazy conference call.

I still want Tesla to succeed in its mission, but glad to have no position long or short the stock.

alpha

« Reply #2042 on: August 10, 2018, 09:38:18 AM »

I've been hearing things on various YouTube channels this week that because their custom chip being used in development is designed specifically for computer vision rather than as a generic graphics card, it has 10 times the frame rate of Nvidia's best for about the same cost and power consumption and it is designed with the same form factor and pin-out to act as a drop in upgrade for owners using Autopilot 2's Nvidia hardware at present. (That's from memory and I'm not sure what their sources were)

Whether that's accurate and sufficient for such a valuation, I wouldn't venture a guess, but it could be interesting to see what develops.

I guess this privatization buyout plan is what Musk had in mind as 'the mother of all short burns' a quarter ago, rather than the earnings release and crazy conference call.

I still want Tesla to succeed in its mission, but glad to have no position long or short the stock.

The chip you refer to was designed by Jim Keller, he basically operates as a chip design for hire guy, he will take job with one company complete the design and move on to the next. It took him less than 2 years working for Tesla to design their chip. Now he has moved on and any other firm could hire him to do the same thing.

Does a chip design that took a single person less than 2 years of work justify a 70 billion dollar market cap in your mind?

frommi

LongTermView

« Reply #2044 on: August 10, 2018, 09:25:47 PM »
The short shorts tweets are fascinating: https://twitter.com/elonmusk

benhacker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2045 on: August 11, 2018, 09:01:41 AM »
Still no SEC filing.

Seems that nothing material happened this week...
Ben Hacker
Beaverton, Oregon - USA

Zorrofan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2046 on: August 11, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »
Musk tweeted that he was considering taking Tesla private and that he had "funding secured" for such a transaction. Is Tesla not required to file an 8-K showing this? And given that the SEC is now investigating and lawsuits are being lined up over all of this, one might expect next week will be an interesting week for Musk & Tesla both.

fareastwarriors

« Reply #2047 on: August 12, 2018, 09:39:29 AM »

John Hjorth

« Reply #2048 on: August 12, 2018, 11:06:56 AM »
Financial Times [August 10th 2018]: Saudi sovereign wealth fund scrambles for resources. [ Edit: Article outlined here].

The article mentions debt issuance ... Debt issuance in a sovereign wealth fund? - Please give me a break.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:54:38 AM by John Hjorth »
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

colinwalt

« Reply #2049 on: August 12, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-saudi-arabias-pif-shown-202740891.html?.tsrc=rss

"Saudi Arabia's PIF has shown no interest in bankrolling Tesla buyout - sources

...source said that the Saudi fund would not make an investment of this kind without seeking guidance first from Softbank."