Author Topic: TSLA - Tesla Motors  (Read 655479 times)

gary17

Re: TSLA - Tesla Motors
« Reply #2140 on: August 28, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »
Two thoughts:

1 he is very muc liken trump
2 he needs a Tim cook much like Jobs did

glta

Grant

« Reply #2141 on: August 28, 2018, 12:49:52 PM »
From the NYT article:
At 6:30 a.m. on Aug. 18, three robots in the paint shop at the Tesla factory in Fremont, Calif., started malfunctioning. The incident forced a production halt on the Model 3, the key to the company’s future.

Made aware of the stoppage, Mr. Musk went to the factory and worked into the night. The problem was resolved, but Tesla reached a troubling conclusion: The robots had been infected with malware in an act of industrial sabotage. And though they could not prove it, executives suspected they knew the culprit: a rogue employee, working at the behest of short-sellers.

Sounds to me like they're already on top of excuses (force majeures?) for a Q3 miss. Note the paint shop is one area shorts have said cannot support more than 5,000 cars per week.

rb

« Reply #2142 on: August 28, 2018, 01:16:00 PM »
From the NYT article:
At 6:30 a.m. on Aug. 18, three robots in the paint shop at the Tesla factory in Fremont, Calif., started malfunctioning. The incident forced a production halt on the Model 3, the key to the company’s future.

Made aware of the stoppage, Mr. Musk went to the factory and worked into the night. The problem was resolved, but Tesla reached a troubling conclusion: The robots had been infected with malware in an act of industrial sabotage. And though they could not prove it, executives suspected they knew the culprit: a rogue employee, working at the behest of short-sellers.

Sounds to me like they're already on top of excuses (force majeures?) for a Q3 miss. Note the paint shop is one area shorts have said cannot support more than 5,000 cars per week.
It should be concerning that conspiracy theories constantly circle the Tesla world.

Also why does the CEO have to go down to deal with a robot malfunction? All of this is not normal.

benhacker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2143 on: August 28, 2018, 01:42:46 PM »
The article is kind of amazing.

My fav:

In the interview with The Times, Mr. Musk said his work had been so consuming that he nearly missed Kimbal’s wedding in Spain this summer. “I got there two hours before the ceremony,” he said. “I left directly from the factory. And then I went straight back.”

But while Mr. Musk is clearly working hard, his recounting paints an incomplete picture of his travels. He was away for five days during his trip to Spain, and on the way back, he stopped with his children in Belfast, Northern Ireland, to tour the “Game of Thrones” set.

But yea, that super meaningless comment was a lie.... but the malware sabotaged robots by "the shorts"... def not a lie.... definitely not.

Trying to get in front of a huge production miss with such obvious lies is only worth trying if you know you really believe your shareholder base is a big pile of church going rubes.  I guess he knows his audience.

It's almost as if Elon is really really really really worried about something in his business....

Ben
Ben Hacker
Beaverton, Oregon - USA

pcm983

« Reply #2144 on: August 28, 2018, 02:49:17 PM »
I don't get what they mean by him working 100+ hour weeks. What does it mean when he goes down to the factory when the robot is malfunctioning? I'm assuming he's not programming, so is he working the assembly line? Stapling on the bumpers? It just seems like such an artificial mythology that he is working so hard when there is seemingly nothing practical for him to be doing other than doing meetings and helping with strategy. Additionally, if he is working so much, how does he have so much time to tweet about random stuff?

JRM

« Reply #2145 on: August 28, 2018, 03:12:50 PM »
I don't get what they mean by him working 100+ hour weeks. What does it mean when he goes down to the factory when the robot is malfunctioning? I'm assuming he's not programming, so is he working the assembly line? Stapling on the bumpers? It just seems like such an artificial mythology that he is working so hard when there is seemingly nothing practical for him to be doing other than doing meetings and helping with strategy. Additionally, if he is working so much, how does he have so much time to tweet about random stuff?

How many investors or money managers have ever worked in a factory a day in their life?  They have no frame of reference to realize that Musk's statements are total B.S.

Spekulatius

« Reply #2146 on: August 28, 2018, 05:10:44 PM »
The article is kind of amazing.

My fav:

But yea, that super meaningless comment was a lie.... but the malware sabotaged robots by "the shorts"... def not a lie.... definitely not.

Trying to get in front of a huge production miss with such obvious lies is only worth trying if you know you really believe your shareholder base is a big pile of church going rubes.  I guess he knows his audience.

It's almost as if Elon is really really really really worried about something in his business....

Ben

Yep, he knows his audience :
https://youtu.be/DBbuUWw30N8
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:26:35 PM by Spekulatius »
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

Gregmal

« Reply #2147 on: August 28, 2018, 05:22:36 PM »

From what I've heard, Musk is one of those on the floor guys. He's at times been said to be too involved. Kind of like the opposite of the Steve Jobs quote about how he can do pretty much anything anyone else at Apple can do but doesn't waste his time because he rather do things that everyone else can't. Musk has struck me as much more of a delegater of tasks, who then happens to tag along to boost morale. While also doing his own stuff. He is definitely trying to do too much.

And as far as posting on Twitter, that's kind of irrelevant. It seems to come up a lot with Musk, or even Trump, but the reality is it takes next to no time or effort to do. It's just kind of a silly talking point for detractors. I mean I probably post on this site more than most, and it literally takes next to no time out of my day to do so. Nothing. Musk probably spends a lot of time reading and following the news. All his tweeting together might take up a few minutes of his time per day.

randomep

• Bull Bear and Value Blog
« Reply #2148 on: August 28, 2018, 05:58:38 PM »
From the NYT article:

It should be concerning that conspiracy theories constantly circle the Tesla world.

Also why does the CEO have to go down to deal with a robot malfunction? All of this is not normal.

So the market has to listen to a car CEO complain about rogue employees and price-gouging contractors.  Well, if they are indeed true, do you suppose his competitors have the same type of problems? or does this bad luck only happen to Musk?  Maybe his so-called inefficient competitors are inefficient because of these they regularly have to deal with unforeseen problems like this?

I think the world is spending tens of billions of dollars giving a genius a crash course on car manufacturing in the real world.

JRM

« Reply #2149 on: August 29, 2018, 04:15:35 AM »

From what I've heard, Musk is one of those on the floor guys. He's at times been said to be too involved. Kind of like the opposite of the Steve Jobs quote about how he can do pretty much anything anyone else at Apple can do but doesn't waste his time because he rather do things that everyone else can't. Musk has struck me as much more of a delegater of tasks, who then happens to tag along to boost morale. While also doing his own stuff. He is definitely trying to do too much.

And as far as posting on Twitter, that's kind of irrelevant. It seems to come up a lot with Musk, or even Trump, but the reality is it takes next to no time or effort to do. It's just kind of a silly talking point for detractors. I mean I probably post on this site more than most, and it literally takes next to no time out of my day to do so. Nothing. Musk probably spends a lot of time reading and following the news. All his tweeting together might take up a few minutes of his time per day.

I guess Jobs didn't much need Wozniak.