Author Topic: TSLA - Tesla Motors  (Read 675836 times)

dwy000

Re: TSLA - Tesla Motors
« Reply #3040 on: July 16, 2019, 03:06:39 PM »
So I finally bit the bullet and bought a Tesla last week.  Loving the car although must admit I still hold some range anxiety.

One thing I found quite interesting and helped with the purchase (but can't be great for the company) is that they offered me Kelly Blue Book on my trade in.  Without ever seeing it.  Now granted, it was in good condition and if I sold it privately could probably have received $500 - $1000 more but it wasn't worth the brain damage to list it and deal with test drives etc.  I recently upgraded our other car and the dealerships all offered less than Blue Book (it was in good condition too) on the premise that they needed some margin to resell it.  I'm wondering if Tesla is losing money on the trade ins by offering such favorable pricing.  They must just wholesale them out.  Just odd that there is such a focus on the headline sales price for each vehicle but the net value going to Tesla after the trade in is way more variable than I would have thought.

If they’re offering your KBB, they’re almost certainly losing money. Wholesale won’t pay KBB price. The dealers who buy wholesale are likely to sell for something like KBB. Plus TSLA must front costs (not huge, but in aggregate, not nothing) of buying it from you and re-selling it @ wholesale.

Exactly!  With all the headlines today about dropping the price of the Model 3 by about $1500 it was odd that they almost didn't care how the trade in was valued. 

Foreign Tuffett

« Reply #3041 on: July 24, 2019, 02:01:45 PM »
Q2 results are out. Gross margins continue deteriorate. 

https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/1e70a30c-20a7-48b3-a1f6-696a7c517959

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3042 on: July 24, 2019, 02:02:40 PM »
Timberrrrrr!

Gregmal

« Reply #3043 on: July 24, 2019, 02:04:44 PM »
No one saw this coming..................

SHDL

« Reply #3044 on: July 24, 2019, 02:24:05 PM »
Revenue and gross profit both down vs the “miracle” 3rd quarter of 2018, despite record deliveries. The bears were right.

fareastwarriors

« Reply #3045 on: July 24, 2019, 02:28:38 PM »
At least Tesla has $5 billion of cash to burn for a while.

A Dhandho Investor

« Reply #3046 on: July 24, 2019, 02:29:54 PM »

I can imagine our friend Dalal saw this coming...

Some quick observations:
- capex again ridiculously low (less than half of D&A) and now guiding for only 1.5-2b compared to 2.5b
- they now included reg credits (111m) in the letter, while not disclosing this amount (216m) in the Q1 update letter. Apparently was more convenient for the optics this Q
- service costs are down YoY while the fleet has grown considerably. I guess Tesla owners don’t enjoy a premium service anymore
- Solar: MW deployed dropped to a historic low of 29. When are they going to write off Solarcity?
- the FY 2019 outlook is a joke
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 02:36:28 PM by A Dhandho Investor »

Gregmal

« Reply #3047 on: July 24, 2019, 02:34:43 PM »

Some quick observations:
- capex again ridiculously low (less than half of D&A) and now guiding for only 1.5-2b compared to 2.5b
- they now included reg credits (111m) in the letter, while not disclosing this amount (216m) in the Q1 update letter. Apparently was more convenient for the optics this Q

Dalal was actually an astute and quite knowledgable GM shareholder for some time. Something must have happened, maybe he hit his head, got divorced, did some tainted LSD, and he decided to sell GM to buy Tesla... I'll happily eat my words if this thing goes to $400-$500, but we all know where this is really going(except for a few delusional institutional product peddlers and a bunch of retail investors).

Foreign Tuffett

« Reply #3048 on: July 24, 2019, 03:40:04 PM »

Some quick observations:
- service costs are down YoY while the fleet has grown considerably. I guess Tesla owners don’t enjoy a premium service anymore
- Solar: MW deployed dropped to a historic low of 29. When are they going to write off Solarcity?

These are smart thoughts.

The capex guide down is puzzling. They are probably holding off on Model Y tooling as long as possible.

My understanding is that prices across the product line were reduced earlier this month. I expect gross margins to further weaken.

DTEJD1997

« Reply #3049 on: July 24, 2019, 03:52:26 PM »
whut, Whut, WHUT ? ! ?

TSLA had lower sales & margins?  The stock is down bigly?  That is UNPOSSIBLE!

Everybody knows TSLA is going to be printing buckets of cash when they come out with self driving cars that you can put to work while you sleep to make extra kash!

Mr. Musk is also working on computer brain controlled monkeys!

https://www.iflscience.com/technology/elon-musks-neuralink-has-connected-a-monkey-brain-to-a-computer/

Just think of all the fun & neat stuff that could be done with that!  If for some reason they don't have self driving cars, maybe the monkeys could drive them?

This thing is going to $10,000/share, just give it time!