Author Topic: TSLA - Tesla Motors  (Read 441376 times)

Spekulatius

Re: TSLA - Tesla Motors
« Reply #1790 on: May 25, 2018, 09:18:56 AM »
Elon is passionate about what he is doing and his products  and many CEO’s in the car business are clearly not. I am not defending Elon, but I think it makes a huge difference.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1791 on: May 25, 2018, 09:20:04 AM »
You guys are giving the guy too much credit for trying to revolutionize the world and giving him too much of a pass on his abilities to lead and putting a proper plan together. The latter could well cause his failure.

The Tesla S was smart: high end car, fast, stable, well designed and top quality. I have nothing to say negative there. It was perfect to change the mentality from a Prius looks like crap and not cool to I want one of these! The rich liked it.

What came after is a disaster of execution IMO: roadster, Model X, Model 3 and now the truck...

What regular people want, housewives, etc. are SUV's. I mentioned it before and that is where the vast majority of demand is. Not just in the U.S. but, globally.

The proof is in sales and what happened is clear, with lower gasoline prices and better ICE efficiency, people went for them. They were only going for sedans and smaller cars when they could not afford them.

So if he truly wanted to revolutionize the world, he should have put all his attention after the Model S on a better Model X. Avoid distractions, going after multiple markets all at once, misleading statements and the like and be lazer focused on that as he was with the Model S.

And for those who dream about revolutionizing the world, this is a marathon and not a sprint (what Musk seems to be doing and not getting). This statement from another website explains perfectly why that is:

"Electric cars while getting hotter are still a few years off and people that bought those ICE cars...they want to see 20 years of usage out of them.....so in the long run oil is still king"

Cardboard

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #1792 on: May 25, 2018, 09:28:30 AM »
The Roadster was their first car, not the Model S.

I agree they could have done better. Buffett could've done better too. Easy to criticize these people when you don't know too much what went into what they did...

You know finance a bit, I assume, so if someone criticize Buffett as not having done as well as he could've in a perfect world, you can see the flaw in that argument. Well, I know electric cars, and I can see that Tesla did WAY better than ever could have been expected from an electric car startup that began right before 2008-2009 in a world where the last successful car startup was probably 80 years ago and where creating a new brand that almost everybody recognizes happens rarely and usually requires billions in marketing (Tesla spends basically zero).

Btw, the Model S that you like so much, people at the time it was starting to come out said the same things you're saying now about the other models. It's late, they don't know what they're doing, they can't ramp it up, it's a disaster, there are quality control issues, Elon Musk is inspecting each one by hand wtf, it's too expensive nobody will buy it, the Germans and Japanese will copy it quickly and do it better and Tesla will be left with no sales, they'll run out of cash, etc. That was in 2011-2012.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | Interesting podcast (new link)

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1793 on: May 25, 2018, 03:05:32 PM »
I was wrong on the roadster timing but, every other comment/argument stands.

Here is a so-so review of the Model 3:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/22/technology/tesla-model-3-luxury-pricing/index.html

Cardboard

Investmentacct

« Reply #1794 on: May 25, 2018, 06:01:48 PM »
"Sure. You are right. When you keep building what was out there for past 100 years, probably no overtime is required where rate of innovation is close to zero , and let those CEOs sleep peacefully. Once those once comfortable CEOs wake up, will find dream/sleep was better. "

Last time I looked, Tesla only had 18% of global market share for EV's.

When I read your statement, it feels like they are the only ones making them or the only ones participating in that revolution.

Is BAIC's CEO sleeping on the plant floor with them having close to the largest market share and 90%+ growth vs 30%+ for Tesla?

What about Carlos Ghosn making the Nissan Leaf which is again to my knowledge still the number #2 seller globally just  behind BAIC EC?

Cardboard

Your point is correct. Agree with you  They are not only one in EV game. They started or pioneered EV game. And, kind of realizing goal of accelerating world's transition towards sustainable energy.

If seeing Tesla from System standpoint below points can be cross compared with other EV solutions:
 Superchargers solutions and network availability and fastest chargers on market
 Complete IOT car platform with OTA
 Full remote climate control
 Car tracking solution with UBER level of accuracy
 Most advanced and longest range battery solutions
 Semi autonomous system with no-lag human/system control exchange

List can go on and on and there are OTAs which make things better on regular updates. not counting 0-60s other nuances.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:10:32 PM by Investmentacct »

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1795 on: May 25, 2018, 09:13:56 PM »
Did you smoke something before writing this or a la Scott Hall because I have a hard time following?

Cardboard

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1796 on: May 26, 2018, 06:46:31 AM »
Musk next project?

Oil supertanker powered by lithium ion batteries, wind and solar.

"No one else does it."

Cardboard

nickenumbers

« Reply #1797 on: May 26, 2018, 09:02:30 AM »
What do you call it when Elon Musk’s kids run in circles after eating candy? A hyperloop!

Jurgis

• Porfolio
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo

johnpane

« Reply #1799 on: June 07, 2018, 02:13:52 PM »
Musk also acknowledged that his forecasts are optimistic and might not be realistic.