Author Topic: TSLA - Tesla Motors  (Read 672291 times)

ukvalueinvestment

Re: TSLA - Tesla Motors
« Reply #2870 on: May 11, 2019, 09:21:11 AM »
As far as I know, there is no evidence whatsoever the the guy is indeed anything other than a law abiding citizen that has been slandered by Musk.

Not settling this action just seems to show more hubris, arrogance, stubbornness, bad judgement, whatever.  ie, he's behaving like a child.

Is this a man you want managing people and company in an incredibly complex industry and situation?
@ukvalueinv

DTEJD1997

« Reply #2871 on: May 11, 2019, 12:29:39 PM »
hey all:

happy "top of the market" to you!

I just want to let everybody know that Cannabis stocks might be worth MOAR than TSLA!

An electronic mail came to me through the interwebs this afternoon informing me of this. 

If this isn't indicating a frothy market, I don't know what would!!!!

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2872 on: May 11, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »
hey all:

I just want to let everybody know that Cannabis stocks might be worth MOAR than TSLA!

An electronic mail came to me through the interwebs this afternoon informing me of this. 

People were saying things like this two years ago and it made just as much sense then as it does now. The thing about continuing calling a market top is that you will eventually be correct, who knows?

DTEJD1997

« Reply #2873 on: May 12, 2019, 12:30:30 PM »
hey all:

People were saying things like this two years ago and it made just as much sense then as it does now. The thing about continuing calling a market top is that you will eventually be correct, who knows?

Maybe I run in the "wrong" or "slow" circles, but I've never seen cannabis mentioned with TSLA, or comparing the two.  Every time I see it, it has always been mentioned individually.

What would be EVEN MOAR BETTERER is if you could somehow combine TSLA, cannabis, and crypto-currency.  If you could do that, you would have all your bases covered and surely would get rich quickly? 

I think I'm going to talk to the customer service representatives on the corner of 8-Mile and Gratiot tonight!  I'm sure they know all about cannabis!  Could they also know of TSLA & cannabis?

Saluki

« Reply #2874 on: May 15, 2019, 12:47:27 PM »
I always thought TSLA was overhyped, but after riding in one this past weeekend, I must say that they are head and shoulders better than any other car I've ridden in.  They've thought of everything (e.g. the sunroof gets darker automatically when it's brighter out).

My friend who owned the car told me that the base price for the car doesn't include self driving and that you have to pay a lot extra for (I believe he said it was $12k), which costs them nothing to add to the vehicle, just a software upgrade. It's a nice business model, but not nice enough to convince me to own the company.

When I price the stock out like any other car company, the price is still outrageous, but I can see why it's so hard to short.  People like my friend who love the car so much that they buy the stock and think the two are linked together like a double helix are stubbornly propping up the stock price and fighting against shorts with the passion of the converted.   

If it's important, do it every day. If it's not important, don't do it at all.  -Dan Gable

Castanza

« Reply #2875 on: May 15, 2019, 12:51:48 PM »
I always thought TSLA was overhyped, but after riding in one this past weeekend, I must say that they are head and shoulders better than any other car I've ridden in.  They've thought of everything (e.g. the sunroof gets darker automatically when it's brighter out).

My friend who owned the car told me that the base price for the car doesn't include self driving and that you have to pay a lot extra for (I believe he said it was $12k), which costs them nothing to add to the vehicle, just a software upgrade. It's a nice business model, but not nice enough to convince me to own the company.

When I price the stock out like any other car company, the price is still outrageous, but I can see why it's so hard to short.  People like my friend who love the car so much that they buy the stock and think the two are linked together like a double helix are stubbornly propping up the stock price and fighting against shorts with the passion of the converted.

This just reinforces the idea that a good product or service does not always translate into a good sound company in which to invest.

SHDL

« Reply #2876 on: May 15, 2019, 01:10:40 PM »
People like my friend who love the car so much that they buy the stock and think the two are linked together like a double helix are stubbornly propping up the stock price and fighting against shorts with the passion of the converted.

Yes, that's almost certainly a big part of the story here.  I think the unusual strength and persistence of this effect is attributable to the fact that these people tend to have a lot of money to spare.

A Dhandho Investor

« Reply #2877 on: May 15, 2019, 11:53:54 PM »

I assume that you did not yet drive other EV's like the E-Tron or the I-Pace? It seems a lot of people believe that Tesla is so far ahead of the competition because of the different driving experience between EV's and ICE. Once that you drive another EV, it appears Tesla is not that far ahead anymore (e.g. the Ipace has been nominated car of the year in Europe). If you then take into account factors like service waiting time, reliability, insurance cost, Tesla's become even less desirable.

The fact that fanboys are propping up the stock is a gift for shorts - a lot of believers will lose their confidence once it is clear that Tesla will not even meet the below end of its guidance for 2019, it completely winds down the energy division, announce that they will stop the development of the Semi, it becomes clear that the Shanghai factory is a scam, etc.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #2878 on: May 16, 2019, 05:18:41 AM »
I wish other automakers actually made a bigger effort with volume production. Having good EVs isn't enough... You also have to sell lots of them to make a difference. I understand that they're less profitable than their current ICE lineups, but that's the whole point of making the transition; if you try to do it with a foot on the brake all along, you leave a lot of room to competitors like Tesla who don't have a legacy business to keep iterating much faster than you are, and by the time you finally get there (if ever -- a lot of these just seem to want a halo car that they can brag about but they never really make that many of them or lower prices fast enough over time because they don't reach proper scale), Tesla might have fixed its biggest problems (who knows?) and improved on its strengths.

https://insideevs.com/news/348911/april-2019-jaguar-i-pace-sales/

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:22:19 AM by Liberty »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #2879 on: May 16, 2019, 05:48:00 AM »
I wish other automakers actually made a bigger effort with volume production. Having good EVs isn't enough... You also have to sell lots of them to make a difference.

Hear, hear!

People (and I) may be concerned of buying a Tesla and company going BK on us. But there's as much concern IMO on traditional automakers giving half assed support (or pretty much none in reality) to their electric models that they produce, sell in hundreds (not hundred Ks), and then discontinue. I might not buy Tesla, but I won't buy a poor cousin EV from traditional automaker either.
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"