Author Topic: VTU.L - Vertu Motors  (Read 3983 times)

kab60

Re: VTU.L - Vertu Motors
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 10:42:48 PM »
Thanks, very valuable. I've stayed away from Vertu for a long time but sensed a change of tone (talking about per share value, hurdle rate etc) as well as a very undemanding valuation (ripe for an activist) and nice aftersales growth (higher than Cambria), but what you've described is just terrible from a capital allocation standpoint. Much appreciated.

compounding

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 01:13:05 AM »
My general sense from reading the reports and following the communication and actions from management is that capital allocation has improved quite significantly since the last equity raise. They have done one or two real estate deals to unlock capital, they have refrained from acquisitions due to valuation reasons and returned capital to shareholders via dividends, and increasingly lately, via buybacks. At current prices they have been heavy buyers, buying around 150k shares per day, which is really quite something since the average volume traded in the stock is around 550k. So they have shifted their communication, making capital allocation the prime topic in reports/presentations, and actually followed it up with good decision making.

The balance sheet is great, so there is really no need to issue equity, even if they want to acquire something (with the possible exception of something really big). Their most recent acquisitions have been paid with cash on hand. The margin expansion thesis in combination with further consolidation of the industry, the cheap price and the current capital allocation makes this interesting for me, and I have had a small position since 2016.

My question would be, despite all of the above, do you still not trust Forrester will allocate well going forward? I agree that the investment thesis is broken if they start issuing equity at stupid prices again. I guess the real question here is if the last few years are more indicative of capital allocation going forward than the previous ten.
@JohanHjortsson

maude

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 08:04:57 AM »
I guess I'm not sure I trust Robert Forrester completely, but I do think further equity issuances in the next few years is pretty unlikely. That being said, Cambria is trading at a slightly lower P/E multiple than Vertu (based on the companies' guidance to the brokers for the current fiscal year). I have more confidence that Cambria will grow earnings than I do about Vertu, because Cambria has shown tangible progress in this regard recently due to the new luxury dealerships ramping up profitability (and their long-term track record just gives them a lot of credibility in general). Vertu's earnings growth is more predicated on improving the margins of dealerships that are not generating good margins, but this was also the thesis a few years ago and they haven't really shown progress in this regard. However, Vertu's balance sheet is more conservative than Cambria's and Vertu trades at a lower multiple of tangible book value (though I would tend to view the lower P/TBV as a negative because it implies Vertu's ROIC is lower than Cambria's). Having owned and followed both of these companies for a few years now, I can say I feel more comfortable with Cambria, all things considered. That being said, I think Vertu is also undervalued, but less than Cambria.

compounding

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 10:19:05 PM »
Sounds very reasonable, thanks for elaborating.
@JohanHjortsson