Author Topic: WMT - Walmart Inc  (Read 53956 times)

Charlie

Re: WMT - Walmart Inc
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2017, 11:37:14 AM »
Iīm buying a lot of things at Amazon.  ;)
I think you can increase your living standard in a lot of things if you buy the products with the highest customer ratings at Amazon.
Itīs a little bit like Buffett said at the annual meeting to flip with your fingers (the example of Ajit Jain and the billions of dollars he made) and the next day itīs there.
You save a lot of time, read good customer reviews, get the best products and itīs easy.
I think with big ticket items it makes sense to compare prices, because Amazon is not that cheap.
The repeat purchases are sometimes very expensive.

I have thought about buying Costco shares, because of Munger, but Buffett hasnīt bought much Costco shares and
sold Wal Mart and the threat of Amazon and a P/E of around 30.  :(
In the end the customer will do what is best for him. Itīs competitive destruction at a high level.
In retail Buffett cloned Pabrai, because Pabrai said much earlier to avoid retail.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:48:50 PM by Charlie »

clutch

« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2017, 12:10:47 PM »
I think with big ticket items it makes sense to compare prices, because Amazon is not that cheap.

I used to think this way too, until this happened.

I bought a noise cancelling headphone from Amazon. About a year after I bought it, the headphone jack broke by an accident (one could say it was my fault). I emailed Amazon to let them know what happened and see what were my options. Amazon immediately shipped the replacement product that arrived at my place the next day.

I'm not sure this level of customer service is available to all Amazon customers (I'm a prime member). One could also argue that this kind of over-the-top customer service is actually a money-losing tactic. But at that moment I figured I'm willing to pay premiums (both prime membership and higher cost) to buy even expensive stuff on Amazon because I get peace-of-mind in case anything wrong goes with my purchase / product. By the way, I think the extremely lenient return policy at Costco (and not just the cheap prices) also helped them retain loyal members in the similar way.

Parsad

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2017, 05:56:46 PM »

I used to think this way too, until this happened.

I bought a noise cancelling headphone from Amazon. About a year after I bought it, the headphone jack broke by an accident (one could say it was my fault). I emailed Amazon to let them know what happened and see what were my options. Amazon immediately shipped the replacement product that arrived at my place the next day.

I'm not sure this level of customer service is available to all Amazon customers (I'm a prime member). One could also argue that this kind of over-the-top customer service is actually a money-losing tactic. But at that moment I figured I'm willing to pay premiums (both prime membership and higher cost) to buy even expensive stuff on Amazon because I get peace-of-mind in case anything wrong goes with my purchase / product. By the way, I think the extremely lenient return policy at Costco (and not just the cheap prices) also helped them retain loyal members in the similar way.

You're probably correct.  Alot of stuff at Costco is actually more expensive than Walmart.  But Costco's return policy and unique offerings, while knowing you are getting incredibly competitive pricing,  justifies people paying for their memberships.  Can't be because Costco is less busy, as parking lots are as full as Walmart and their cashier lineups are longer.

People will pay for the Amazon Prime memberships because of the service, convenience and competitive pricing.  Cheers!
No man is a failure who has friends!

Parsad

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »
This may be a Canada vs US thing but outside of books I don't generally find Amazon cheap. If I'm looking to buy something I can find it at other places at same price or cheaper than Amazon. Very seldom Amazon is the low price. On the other hand Walmart is the low price a lot of times.

I don't buy a lot of groceries from Walmart because they're not as price competitive in Canada as in the US and the quality is not too good and I'll probably never buy produce online. But for packaged goods I suspect their model should work pretty well if they can keep the price down.

I thought I would never buy online produce as well, but the staff at Save-on Foods pick exactly the same quality stuff I would.  You can also tell them how you would like any specific item...ripeness, thin cuts of deli meats, substitutions are ok, meat butchered a certain way, etc.  Delivered right to your front door or kitchen!  No lugging heavy bags to the car, home and up the stairs, or time wasted selecting everything.  I can work or play while they pack and deliver my groceries.  Cheers! 
No man is a failure who has friends!

DTEJD1997

« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2017, 09:39:38 PM »
Hey all:

I haven't posted anything about WMT in a while now...but I've got another observation.

Even though i have a FREE membership at Sam's Club, I am itching to PAY to go back Costco.

WHY?

Many, many different reasons, but here is a new one.  One that I had suspected for quite a while but am POSITIVE about tonight.

As I am sitting here perusing the interwebs...I am snacking on a cup of hummus & pita chips...Hmmm, the hummus looks/tastes just a bit "funny".  Not funny in the "ha-ha-ha" way either...So I look at the expiration date.  Still good, but really damn close to the expiration date.  I just got this stuff less than a week ago.  These are the small, individually packed portions and not the 55 gallon "super saver drum" of hummus either.

So I think a bit and have notice several things.  Cheeze=its that I got were border line stale.  They were "close dated"...I also complained to a clerk once that Sam's club did not have the standard size Perrier water in stock.  He said, yeah, tell me about it...Who knows what corporate is doing next?  They are always looking for bargain/closeout/non-standard stuff.  This was the response of the clerk to my question.

So I very strongly suspect that Sam's Club is buying "close dated" stuff at a discount.  I don't think that Costco would ever do that.  Costco's turnover is probably better than Sam's Club too.

Counting the days till I go back...

Spekulatius

« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2017, 09:03:08 AM »
Costco certainly does not  carry closely to expiration date from groceries. The quality of Costco's groceries is high and we like their meats and veggies in particular.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

kab60

« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2017, 12:29:47 AM »

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2017, 03:57:18 AM »
I really think this Wal-Mart initiative sounds promising: https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/01/walmart-begins-testing-using-store-staff-for-last-mile-deliveries/
Agree, this could be a good one. Powerful incentive of making the extra buck for the employee. While keeping overall costs low. The best kind of cost saving is the cost nobody incurs. As a customer of Wal-Mart online grocery, I'm doing the same, picking up on my way home. Just needs me to plan ahead; If I'm in Wal-Mart's shoes, I'd be thinking of incentivizing customers who plan ahead with additional discounts because it makes it a lower cost of everything. Transportation from the regional warehouse, picking and who knows, allowing employees to also plan ahead (daycare etc.).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 05:31:33 AM by longinvestor »

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2017, 08:42:36 PM »
I have both Sam's club and COST memberships - for most things, COST and Sams prices are identical. Costco has better customer service (and also a pricier card). There are some items available in one but not the other.

I have seen items closer to expiry in Costco as well but if you search through the stack, the ones at the bottom or behind have longer expiry dates many times. If they are too close, I just don't buy them.

Hey all:

I haven't posted anything about WMT in a while now...but I've got another observation.

Even though i have a FREE membership at Sam's Club, I am itching to PAY to go back Costco.

WHY?

Many, many different reasons, but here is a new one.  One that I had suspected for quite a while but am POSITIVE about tonight.

As I am sitting here perusing the interwebs...I am snacking on a cup of hummus & pita chips...Hmmm, the hummus looks/tastes just a bit "funny".  Not funny in the "ha-ha-ha" way either...So I look at the expiration date.  Still good, but really damn close to the expiration date.  I just got this stuff less than a week ago.  These are the small, individually packed portions and not the 55 gallon "super saver drum" of hummus either.

So I think a bit and have notice several things.  Cheeze=its that I got were border line stale.  They were "close dated"...I also complained to a clerk once that Sam's club did not have the standard size Perrier water in stock.  He said, yeah, tell me about it...Who knows what corporate is doing next?  They are always looking for bargain/closeout/non-standard stuff.  This was the response of the clerk to my question.

So I very strongly suspect that Sam's Club is buying "close dated" stuff at a discount.  I don't think that Costco would ever do that.  Costco's turnover is probably better than Sam's Club too.

Counting the days till I go back...

This is the oldest trick in selling perishable goods. It has been done through the ages, on wheelbarrows to supermarkets. I believe we may be hyper sensitive to the dates that get printed on packaged goods. We need to worry more about additives that stretch out the "good until" date relative to what nature by herself would've allowed the main ingredient/s to stay fresh.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:44:12 PM by longinvestor »

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »
Wmt had a 50% jump in online sales. I see that when I go to pick up my online grocery order six months ago. Used to be 1 or 2 cars. Now there's5 to 10. Customer service is great too.!