Author Topic: WMT - Walmart Inc  (Read 48837 times)

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
Re: WMT - Walmart Inc
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2018, 08:40:57 AM »
60% of the U.S. population lives within 5 minutes of a Wal-Mart, and 96% lives within 20 miles.  Wal-Mart has a temporary solution for the last mile and instant delivery problems, let the customer come and pick it up.  There are many times two day shipping simply will not suffice and I drive to Wal-Mart.  If they have it waiting for me to pick up so I don't get out of my car, even better. 

I recommended to family to invest in Wal-Mart when it was in the 50's; I wish I took my own advice.

I bought in the 50's when the min wage bill passed and WMT took a dip.

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »
60% of the U.S. population lives within 5 minutes of a Wal-Mart, and 96% lives within 20 miles.  Wal-Mart has a temporary solution for the last mile and instant delivery problems, let the customer come and pick it up.  There are many times two day shipping simply will not suffice and I drive to Wal-Mart.  If they have it waiting for me to pick up so I don't get out of my car, even better. 

I recommended to family to invest in Wal-Mart when it was in the 50's; I wish I took my own advice.

What I find when ordering is that there are many items that is not in their store inventory, so shipping is the only option. The choice they are giving customers is ship-to-home or ship-to-store. Where the item ships from a 3rd party, I'm seeing from the labels, that it is shipped by UPS to the store! I'm sure that puts them in a great negotiating position with UPS et al.

To add, these 3rd party sales are truly incremental sales, essentially it is approaching the "everything catalog" and it attracts a different demography (upper middle class, former Prime members, like myself) to the store!

I too would like the drive by pick up convenience, instead of going inside the store. It is already happening with grocery, it is probably a matter of time.

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2019, 05:26:31 PM »
Digital sales keep growing. Some 40% YOY. Who'd have thunk that stodgy old Wal-Mart would do that?

Surprise is Sam's Club traffic growth (6%). They closed 65 locations in 2018. Some are fulfillment centers now. As a Plus member, I get free shipping. To be fair, not everything is available to ship to the house. Between that, order-online-pick up-at-store and the Scan & Go app, value is compelling. And like Costco, they keep sending cash back in multiples of the membership fee. Sam's is turning things around. Me thinks this comes at the expense of Amazon more than Costco.

Everyone is figuring out shipping to the house.

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #153 on: April 17, 2019, 03:21:35 AM »
New WalMart people robots:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/tech/2019/04/09/walmart-robots-stores-tasks/3408829002/

We saw something similar to Auto-S in our Stop&Shop.
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2019, 04:56:09 PM »
Itís great to see Walmart using AI and tech not as the shiny new object. So is stodgy old McLane. Most rational use of technology to build on your business model. If Amazon makes little in retail they will continue to make little.

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2019, 01:06:34 PM »
Free next day shipping. My guess is that they turn the 65 shuttered Samís Club locations into fulfillment centers.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 01:42:56 PM by longinvestor »

walkie518

« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2019, 03:31:03 PM »
this seems like the wrong way to address this problem

why wouldn't WMT try to find a way to differentiate rather than compete head-on? 

this lack of imagination likely devolves WMT's business model and continues the OCF shrinkage?

financial statements certainly reflect a decline since bringing Lore on board... sorry to be a downer

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2019, 04:15:19 PM »

why wouldn't WMT try to find a way to differentiate rather than compete head-on? 

this lack of imagination likely devolves WMT's business model and continues the OCF shrinkage?

financial statements certainly reflect a decline since bringing Lore on board... sorry to be a downer

Time will tell.

WMT is using existing distribution/logistics capabilities versus Amazon having to build or buy. Besides, they seem to be targeting the most common items people buy (toliet paper and such) with the initial 220K SKU's with the next day service. If they have an edge (logistical) on the cost to bring it to customers, this has some very interesting implications in cost advantage (avoidance?) on shipping / handling on the highest volume items. Should they pull this off, how would it be if they start offering the choice of shipping to home versus customers come to pick up at the fulfillment centers, given their "within a mile of most of the US" foot print.

Once they settle things down, they could actually give the client money back off the bill should they pick up themselves. How would the increasing Prime Membership fee stack up?

I am a regular online grocery customer and I see more and more traffic when I pull up. Their service is outstanding, they even had a dog treat handy for my pooch. They have some of their best employees deployed. They are going to do great with this.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 04:16:59 PM by longinvestor »

dwy000

« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2019, 07:34:25 PM »

The minute Walmart cedes this to Amazon they might as well give up.  They have always competed primarily on price (and to a lesser extent selection and service) driven by their leading edge supply chain and logistics.  My view is that this is them still competing on price - cheaper prices than Amazon and now they match convenience without having to pay $119 for membership.