Author Topic: WMT - Walmart Inc  (Read 53837 times)

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
Re: WMT - Walmart Inc
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2018, 06:39:06 AM »

walkie518

« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2018, 06:53:33 AM »
Walmart Is Close to $12 Billion-Plus Deal for Flipkart

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-23/walmart-is-said-close-to-12-billion-plus-deal-for-flipkart
I wonder why Amazon isn't trying to beat WMT here? Maybe WMT is grossly overpaying?

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2018, 06:55:36 AM »
Walmart Is Close to $12 Billion-Plus Deal for Flipkart

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-23/walmart-is-said-close-to-12-billion-plus-deal-for-flipkart
I wonder why Amazon isn't trying to beat WMT here? Maybe WMT is grossly overpaying?

Amazon tried... but it's a good sign they're staying disciplined and not going all "strategic at any price!".

Whatever AMZN isn't spending on Flipkart, they can still spend on India, and that might be a high return use for the capital.

JRM

« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2018, 09:12:33 AM »
"Whatever AMZN isn't spending on Flipkart, they can still spend on India, and that might be a high return use for the capital."

I know what you mean, but I laughed a little bit inside when you say that Amazon has a high return use for capital.

Amazon may just be trying to up the bid that Wal-Mart needs to pay in order to compete head-to-head in India.  FlipKart may have the lead in India, but Amazon is definitely a formidable opponent.  It may be a case where Amazon is trying to weaken its competition by forcing them to bid a higher price.

mbharadwaj

« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2018, 09:13:27 AM »
I used to live in India when Flipkart became popular and used to shop on Flipkart. In my visits to India over the last few years I have switched to using Amazon. They have captured a large market share from Flipkart which used to almost be a monopoly. Flipkart's customer service degraded and the site usage experience (try getting out of their mailing lists) deteriorated. I have never had a reason in the last 4-5 years to go back to Flipkart.

My 2c.

JRM

« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2018, 09:16:03 AM »
Also, I find it interesting that Napsers isn't selling their stake in FlipKart so Wal-Mart can't buy the whole company.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2018, 09:45:40 AM »
I used to live in India when Flipkart became popular and used to shop on Flipkart. In my visits to India over the last few years I have switched to using Amazon. They have captured a large market share from Flipkart which used to almost be a monopoly. Flipkart's customer service degraded and the site usage experience (try getting out of their mailing lists) deteriorated. I have never had a reason in the last 4-5 years to go back to Flipkart.

My 2c.

Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience.