Author Topic: WMT - Walmart Inc  (Read 52191 times)

walkie518

Re: WMT - Walmart Inc
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2019, 10:59:36 AM »
this seems like the wrong way to address this problem

why wouldn't WMT try to find a way to differentiate rather than compete head-on? 

this lack of imagination likely devolves WMT's business model and continues the OCF shrinkage?

financial statements certainly reflect a decline since bringing Lore on board... sorry to be a downer

The minute Walmart cedes this to Amazon they might as well give up.  They have always competed primarily on price (and to a lesser extent selection and service) driven by their leading edge supply chain and logistics.  My view is that this is them still competing on price - cheaper prices than Amazon and now they match convenience without having to pay $119 for membership.

what I find troubling from WMT's perspective, however, is that when AMZN zigs so too does WMT regardless of relative economic consequences

while WMT stock has appreciated materially over the last couple years, neither jet.com nor Walmart.com is competing with AMZN, network effects of the latter are very visible in cash flow from operations (ok, AMZN has AWS and other businesses that WMT does not)

as per the last 10-Ks, AMZN is now generating 10% more OCF than WMT while WMT is generating 13% less than in 2017

point being that WMT needs some other angle that AMZN doesn't have...find a way to leverage its unused sites to generate economic earnings rather than fight to compete ... if they don't, I hope WMT learned something from Barnes and Noble

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2019, 11:57:47 AM »
Sam Walton's retail magic worked in the 20th century, actually dominated. If they follow Walton's blueprint, more reasons to dominate in the 21st. Declining disposable income trends is tailor made for Wal-Mart to continue to dominate. Amazon can be an everything store but Wal-Mart will sell the necessities and some of the "everything" catalog. That should do it. They should take Amazon head on. Good for the consumer!

dwy000

« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2019, 09:52:53 PM »
this seems like the wrong way to address this problem

why wouldn't WMT try to find a way to differentiate rather than compete head-on? 

this lack of imagination likely devolves WMT's business model and continues the OCF shrinkage?

financial statements certainly reflect a decline since bringing Lore on board... sorry to be a downer

The minute Walmart cedes this to Amazon they might as well give up.  They have always competed primarily on price (and to a lesser extent selection and service) driven by their leading edge supply chain and logistics.  My view is that this is them still competing on price - cheaper prices than Amazon and now they match convenience without having to pay $119 for membership.

what I find troubling from WMT's perspective, however, is that when AMZN zigs so too does WMT regardless of relative economic consequences

while WMT stock has appreciated materially over the last couple years, neither jet.com nor Walmart.com is competing with AMZN, network effects of the latter are very visible in cash flow from operations (ok, AMZN has AWS and other businesses that WMT does not)

as per the last 10-Ks, AMZN is now generating 10% more OCF than WMT while WMT is generating 13% less than in 2017

point being that WMT needs some other angle that AMZN doesn't have...find a way to leverage its unused sites to generate economic earnings rather than fight to compete ... if they don't, I hope WMT learned something from Barnes and Noble
Walmart is the largest retailer in the world. They are competing against a company that the market doesnt require it to make money on retailing (take out AWS and the Amazon OCF isnt good).  They either compete or give up and become Sears. At some point, Amazon needs to get profitable on retailing or investors will push them to separate out AWS because it is being dragged down by a sub profitable retailer. Until then, walmart is still the lowest cost retailer and a competitor nobody wants to face. 

But I dont have a dog in this fight. Just watching and learning.

DTEJD1997

« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2019, 11:11:52 AM »
Hey all:

WMT is now offering a new service.

For all those consumers who don't have the time energy to go grocery shopping, and who don't have the time energy to ACTUALLY put their delivery purchase in the refrigerator, WMT will now do it for you!

A WMT associate, wearing a body camera, will come to your house, use a 1 time pass code with your smartlock to get in, and will then place the groceries in your refrigerator!  So now your food will actually just show up in the refrigerator!

This is pure genius!  Nothing possibly could go wrong!

I wonder how big a market there is for this?  How much of a market is there for this outside of NYC/SF and millenials?

It certainly will be interesting to see.

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2019, 11:34:25 AM »
Hey all:

For all those consumers who don't have the time energy to go grocery shopping, and who don't have the time energy to ACTUALLY put their delivery purchase in the refrigerator, WMT will now do it for you!

A WMT associate, wearing a body camera, will come to your house, use a 1 time pass code with your smartlock to get in, and will then place the groceries in your refrigerator!  So now your food will actually just show up in the refrigerator!

I wonder how big a market there is for this?  How much of a market is there for this outside of NYC/SF and millenials?

Not too sure that one's going to get a lot of traction but here's one that's destined to catch on in the "do it for me" economy.

https://youtu.be/VedeprHsR-U
Healthcare 29.5% - CVS DVA EW NVO // BRK.B - 20.5% // Media & Communication 8.4% - CHTR DIS

Drinkers & Smokers 7.3% - ABEV MO // Auto's & Oil 12.4% - CLB GPC VDE // Tech 0.0%

%'s held @ MV 06/18/2019 minus 21.8% investable cash

i trumpet my ignorance

https://twitter.com/tunawish

SHDL

« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2019, 11:36:13 AM »
Hey all:

Amazon was testing a similar service a while ago, IIRC.  Personally I donít feel comfortable allowing a random Walmart/Amazon employee walk into my home when Iím not there, but if they somehow partnered with the buildingís management team (whom I actually trust) I may change my mind. 

DTEJD1997

« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2019, 11:47:59 AM »
Hey all:

I forgot to add, WMT is overlooking a huge additional market or value added...

Forget bringing the food to the house and putting in the refrigerator, what good is that?  That food isn't going to cook itself!  They need associates to bring the food, put it away AND THEN cook it up.  umm, umm good!

Then after it's cooked, feed it to me, Roman style!

Just think of all the additional revenue they could get!

Seriously though, this thing has got to be liability nightmare.  How much screening/background checks are being done on these associates making $9-$10 hour?

Put aside serial murderers, sex pervert maniacs, and such...what about when they open the door and are bringing the bags in, what if a pet/child/husband escapes through the open door?  What if they leave the refrigerator door cracked open and stuff spoils?

What if an associate slips on a pile of strawberry jam on the kitchen floor that you didn't have time to clean up in the past week?

What if the associate accidentally breaks/damages something in your house?

This would also be a BONANZA for criminals!  While stealing will PROBABLY be pretty limited, as they are wearing body cameras while making the delivery...they could be casing the joint for their criminal compatriots.  Selling information on which places to knock over and which ones to skip.

What if they don't close the front door properly and bigfoot gets in?

The mind reels at all the problems and mayhem that could happen with this.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:51:48 PM by DTEJD1997 »

walkie518

« Reply #167 on: June 12, 2019, 12:43:03 PM »
Hey all:

Forget bringing the food to the house and putting in the refrigerator, what good is that?  That food isn't going to cook itself!  They need associates to bring the food, put it away AND THEN cook it up.  umm, umm good!

Seriously though, this thing has got to be liability nightmare.  How much screening/background checks are being done on these associates making $9-$10 hour?

Put aside serial murderers, sex pervert maniacs, and such...what about when they open the door and are bringing the bags in, what if a pet/child escapes?  What if they leave the refrigerator door cracked open and stuff spoils?

What if an associate slips on a pile of strawberry jam on the kitchen floor that you didn't have time to clean up in the past week?

What if the associate accidentally breaks/damages something in your house?

This would also be a BONANZA for criminals!  While stealing will PROBABLY be pretty limited, as they are wearing body cameras while making the delivery...they could be casing the joint for their criminal compatriots.  Selling information on which places to knock over and which ones to skip.

What if they don't close the front door properly and bigfoot gets in?

The mind reels at all the problems and mayhem that could happen with this.

I appreciate the thought Walmart but not so convincing that this puts the customer first

Value^2

« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2019, 07:08:47 AM »
Hey all:

;D

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2019, 12:21:15 PM »
Hey all:

;D

There are plenty of value added services that they are ignoring.   If you buy a game they should come by and play it with you.   When you buy a children's book Walmart should come to your house, read it to your children and tuck them in at night.  When you buy condoms they should ... well okay, maybe not.