Author Topic: Do you subscribe to cable TV?  (Read 1125 times)

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
Do you subscribe to cable TV?
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:24:30 AM »
The Roku thread reminded me that we haven't had a topic about cord cutting in a while and since we now have a personal finance section I thought I'd start one.

I recently cut the cable TV cord a few months back.  I was subscribed to Comcast's Xfinity "triple play" with 200mb/s internet, phone, and TV.  It was costing me $234.55/month.  And that doesn't count subscribing to Netflix and Amazon prime which I also had. Insane.

I dialed that back to just Xfinity internet and upped it to their 400mb/s plan for $99.95/month.

For home phone I bought an Ooma device from Amazon which is $99 for the device and free to use. It actually costs $4/month for taxes and fees.

For TV, as I said in the Roku thread, all of my TVs have Roku where we have Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Crackle, and I subscribed to PlaystationVue which gives us our local channels, some cable channels, and DVR service for $39.99/month and works with the PlaystationVue Roku app you don't need a Playstation video game system.

My wife also wanted HBO, so I subscribed to that through Amazon and we can view it on the Amazon Roku app.

So $234.55 to Comcast is now: $99.95 to Comcast + $4 to Ooma + $39.99 to Playstation Vue + $14.99 for HBO = $158.93

Saving $75.62/month or $907.44/year and I have double the internet speed I used to have, I did a speedtest and it is actually testing over 430mbs download speed.

Gregmal

Re: Do you subscribe to cable TV?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:33:31 AM »
I never really watched much TV to begin with. Don't have the attention span. Much rather read. We got rid of DTV about two years ago and really only have NFLX plus AMZN Prime with a Showtime/HBO/Starz subscription which varies depending on the time on year and the shows on. Total cost is less than $350 a year for everything. Live sport is probably the only thing I miss, but usually I can just go to a bar and watch or even the event itself; something much more engaging than just sitting on a couch.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:42:04 AM »
I never really watched much TV to begin with. Don't have the attention span. Much rather read. We got rid of DTV about two years ago and really only have NFLX plus AMZN Prime with a Showtime/HBO/Starz subscription which varies depending on the time on year and the shows on. Total cost is less than $350 a year for everything. Live sport is probably the only thing I miss, but usually I can just go to a bar and watch or even the event itself; something much more engaging than just sitting on a couch.

I would have said exactly that 5 years ago (that I only read and never watch TV). But the rest of my family does watch TV, and even I have started watching more than I ever have in my life.  I'd say I spend about an equal amount of time watching TV as I do reading for the last year or two, but for the maybe 30 years before that I'd say I averaged less than an hour per week watching TV and at least 10 hours per week reading.  Unlike years ago there are actually some good shows to watch now.  This is the golden age of television right now. 

Gregmal

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:38:45 AM »

I would have said exactly that 5 years ago (that I only read and never watch TV). But the rest of my family does watch TV, and even I have started watching more than I ever have in my life.  I'd say I spend about an equal amount of time watching TV as I do reading for the last year or two, but for the maybe 30 years before that I'd say I averaged less than an hour per week watching TV and at least 10 hours per week reading.  Unlike years ago there are actually some good shows to watch now.  This is the golden age of television right now.

The wife does watch way more television than I do. There are some shows I enjoy, but with the streaming services available, you still don't need to fork over $180 a year to HBO or whatever. Typically, if it's just a show or two that is non-NFLX, we just wait til its concluded for the season and then order say HBO for 1 month and binge the entire 10-12 episodes or whatever so it only costs one month rather than start the subscription and watch one episode a week for 4 months. Movies are easy too. You can now go on EBay and find Bu-Ray copies for under $5 delivered. Youtube also has a great deal of free content, especially sports highlights(bye bye ESPN).

LC

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 11:55:45 AM »
We have internet+streaming services.

If it were up to me i'd ditch the streaming and just download everything but the wife is still living in 2003 and thinks the RIAA is going to come sue us to the stone age.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | khc | nke | mo | renx | c | wppgy | dis | cmp

tooskinneejs

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 12:50:22 PM »
Last spring I:

-Replaced my Verizon Fios triple play ($185/m) with: Fios Internet only ($55/m), Ooma home telephone ($5/m), and DirectvNow ($35/m).  Ooma and DirectvNow are both internet-based.

-Replaced AT&T wireless phone service ($165/m for 4 lines) with: Cricket Wireless ($100/m for 5 lines).  Cricket is an AT&T subsidiary and uses the exact same network, but charges only a fraction of the price.  Wish I had figured that out years ago.

doughishere

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 12:53:41 PM »
it is so convenient to switch around all these internet "movie" providers....one month i get HBO and watch all the new stuff they have to offer and the next i subscribe to showtime..unsubscribing from HBO obv.

why would you get cable tv?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:56:13 PM by doughishere »

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 12:55:03 PM »
Have Verizon Fios - $143 for 75/25 Mbs, 300+ channel package.  No home phone, wireless post-paid with Google Fi.

It really doesn't pay for me to drop the cable bundle and then have to add back the various streaming services to get all the soccer/football that I like to watch.

In an area without competition to the cable MVPD, I could see cord cutting, but in this area the active competition between Verizon and Comcast keeps the pricing more reasonable.

ICUMD

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »
Canadian here.  No cable. 
- Bell Internet - (rural setting) 1.5 MBPS  (slower than many developing countries... don't get me started).  Unlimited Data. $60/mo
- Magic Jack Phone - ~ $5 / mo
- Media - Netflix $10.99/mo, Youtube and the odd purchase of DVD's for TV series/ classic movies (ie. James Bond Collection) etc.

Don't watch much TV though.  Do mostly reading/surfing on the Internet.
FIH.U TCEHY, IFFNY, BRK.B

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »
ICUMD - curious if you've looked at Xplornet satellite broadband?  They are provisioning all the Canadian capacity from Viasat-2 for Ka-band data.  It's high latency but in the US they have been offering 25 Mbps unlimited for $150/mo.  Wondering what the tradeoffs are between speed, total bandwidth and cost for rural subscribers.

Canadian here.  No cable. 
- Bell Internet - (rural setting) 1.5 MBPS  (slower than many developing countries... don't get me started).  Unlimited Data. $60/mo
- Magic Jack Phone - ~ $5 / mo
- Media - Netflix $10.99/mo, Youtube and the odd purchase of DVD's for TV series/ classic movies (ie. James Bond Collection) etc.

Don't watch much TV though.  Do mostly reading/surfing on the Internet.