Author Topic: New Car Buying Tips, Please??  (Read 4116 times)

Spekulatius

Re: New Car Buying Tips, Please??
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 07:57:17 PM »
Some car dealers are actually easy to deal with. the first thing I did was test driving different vehicles to find out which one I liked. I went to the closest dealers with no intention to buy, the gold was just to find out which car I liked. once the decision was made,  I  looked at TruCar prices, took a round number in the 20%tile for the car I wanted and shopped online for quotes. I looked at dealers specifically, that had higher than average Ratings in yelp or google, but sometimes they are not easy to find.

Then I named my fixed price for the specific model and asking for online quotes. quite a few answered that they donít have that specific model in my desired colors (but of course they had more expensive ones) to which I replied that I can wait until they have one. I took the offer from the first dealer that offered me the car for the price I wanted.

Some dealers want to screw you with extra fees (advertising etc), which one should not accept. Be ready to walk, if they keep dragging out the process to wear you down. If you walk, donít come back to the same dealer, or at least make it a point to talk to a different salesperson (if you canít avoid the dealership) as a deterrent tomolay the same game over.

Other dealers are straightforward and you get exactly washable you ask for. A really good negotiator can do better and possibly get free extras, but a fair deal is good enough for me.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 07:12:27 AM »
Our 2003 Corolla is still humming along very nicely at ~210,000 km.

I imagine at this pace, 300,000 km and beyond is not unreasonable.

The Costco method is probably how I would go about getting a new Corolla/Camry in the future.

I purchased a 1995 Corolla in 1996 with 12K miles on it.  I traded it in in 2001 with 254K miles on it to buy a 4Runner only because I wanted a larger vehicle.  That car never gave me any problems at all.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone put another 200K on it.  I find people who have never owned one (especially if they are used to American or German cars) don't really understand how long a Toyota will last and how little trouble it gives you along the way.  When you're used to constant car hassles and large repair bills starting at 60K miles you can't even register the fact that it doesn't have to be that way.

clutch

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 09:00:51 PM »
Shop around in the fall... That's when new models come out so the dealer will likely have some promotion to sell this year's model. You will likely get a better financing rate at very least.

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 07:04:27 AM »
Shop around in the fall... That's when new models come out so the dealer will likely have some promotion to sell this year's model. You will likely get a better financing rate at very least.

Buying last year's model was a great advice historically. But IMO this is not so clear cut now. There are a lot of changes coming with collision avoidance systems, sensors, and overall software in cars. It may still work, but be sure that you don't miss out on significant upgrades in software and hardware.
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo

clutch

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 08:20:32 AM »

Buying last year's model was a great advice historically. But IMO this is not so clear cut now. There are a lot of changes coming with collision avoidance systems, sensors, and overall software in cars. It may still work, but be sure that you don't miss out on significant upgrades in software and hardware.

I don't think those software systems change as frequently as perceived.