Author Topic: UK ISA sharedealing account  (Read 657 times)

Lupo Lupus

UK ISA sharedealing account
« on: January 08, 2018, 12:44:00 PM »

Any UK investors here? Can you recommend a good broker for an ISA (tax-free) account, mostly for trading shares? I did quite some searching but find it difficult to find a good broker (one who also offers non-UK markets at reasonable fees). Unfortunately, IB does not offer ISA accounts.

forest81

Re: UK ISA sharedealing account
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 12:34:52 AM »
I use IG Sharedealing. They are quite good. Not as good as IB but 0.3% on forex and cheap transaction costs. Only downside is you don't get dividend notes. However I have got on very well with them. A lot more simple interface than IB and I find there customer service quite good.

Lupo Lupus

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 12:41:59 AM »
I use IG Sharedealing. They are quite good. Not as good as IB but 0.3% on forex and cheap transaction costs. Only downside is you don't get dividend notes. However I have got on very well with them. A lot more simple interface than IB and I find there customer service quite good.

I also come across IG Sharedealing. The 0.3% conversion charge seems reasonable compared to some others (many charge 1.5% -- which I think is absolutely crazy!!!). They have different market, but its seems in any market you can only buy the stocks in the major indices and not the universe of stocks, is that right?

What do you mean by not getting "dividend notes"? They dont inform customers about dividends?

petec

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 12:42:48 AM »
I use iii.co.uk (I was a TD customer and they sold to iii) and find them very good for access to developed markets at least. I also use Hargreaves but they are more of a fund platform so their international stock trading isn't as good.

Voodooking

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 09:03:01 AM »
I use AJ Bell YouInvest for my ISA and SIPP. They are competitive for fees and pretty decent to use overall.

Only drawback is they don't have as many of the smaller stocks available, which is why I use a Degiro account to trade illiquid and nano-cap Net Nets.

MoneySavingExpert.com has quite a good guide on ISA's and SIPPS.

thowed

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 11:47:09 AM »
The key problem is that most of the big names don't offer foreign currency accounts, so dividends and sales are all converted automatically back to sterling (with not very good fx rates).

TD Direct were one of the few that did, and I assume that this will continue (now they've been migrated to their new owners - iii).

I don't have experience with IG and DeGiro, I'm afraid.

Otherwise, iWeb are worth looking at as they're one of the few with no platform fee.

There are a number of comprehensive guides out there.  One of the more comprehensive is at monevator.com, though I can't remember if it touches on foreign shares much.

tol1

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 10:49:55 AM »
AJ for UK stocks and IB for non-UK ones.