Author Topic: Alabama just passed a near-total abortion ban; No exceptions for rape/incest  (Read 8496 times)

LC

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alabama-abortion-law-passed-alabama-passes-near-total-abortion-ban-with-no-exceptions-for-rape-or-incest-2019-05-14/?&ampcf=1

The legislation -- House Bill 314, "Human Life Protection Act" -- bans all abortions in the state except when "abortion is necessary in order to prevent a serious health risk" to the woman, according to the bill's text. It criminalizes the procedure, reclassifying abortion as a Class A felony, punishable by up to 99 years in prison for doctors. Attempted abortions will be reclassified as a Class C penalty.
Alabama's ban is the latest in an onslaught of state-level anti-abortion measures that activists hope will be taken up by the Supreme Court and potentially overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision that protects a woman's right to the procedure. Last week, Georgia Governor Brian Kemp signed into law the state's so-called "fetal heartbeat" bill, a measure that will prohibit abortions after a heartbeat is detected in an embryo, which is typically five to six weeks into a pregnancy, and before most women know that they're pregnant. The state was the sixth to pass such a law, and the fourth this year alone.
Republican Senator Clyde Chambliss argued that the ban was still fair to victims of rape and incest because those women would still be allowed to get an abortion "until she knows she's pregnant," a statement that garnered a mixture of groans and cackles from the chamber's gallery.

There's a saying that goes something like, "You can't stop women from having abortions, but you can stop women from having safe, legal abortions"

Also, the last quote from that senator has got to be some of the most self-righteous baloney I've read in a while.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | irm | mo | nlsn | pm | tap | v | vz | wm

Parsad

• Administrator
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alabama-abortion-law-passed-alabama-passes-near-total-abortion-ban-with-no-exceptions-for-rape-or-incest-2019-05-14/?&ampcf=1

The legislation -- House Bill 314, "Human Life Protection Act" -- bans all abortions in the state except when "abortion is necessary in order to prevent a serious health risk" to the woman, according to the bill's text. It criminalizes the procedure, reclassifying abortion as a Class A felony, punishable by up to 99 years in prison for doctors. Attempted abortions will be reclassified as a Class C penalty.
Alabama's ban is the latest in an onslaught of state-level anti-abortion measures that activists hope will be taken up by the Supreme Court and potentially overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision that protects a woman's right to the procedure. Last week, Georgia Governor Brian Kemp signed into law the state's so-called "fetal heartbeat" bill, a measure that will prohibit abortions after a heartbeat is detected in an embryo, which is typically five to six weeks into a pregnancy, and before most women know that they're pregnant. The state was the sixth to pass such a law, and the fourth this year alone.
Republican Senator Clyde Chambliss argued that the ban was still fair to victims of rape and incest because those women would still be allowed to get an abortion "until she knows she's pregnant," a statement that garnered a mixture of groans and cackles from the chamber's gallery.

There's a saying that goes something like, "You can't stop women from having abortions, but you can stop women from having safe, legal abortions"

Also, the last quote from that senator has got to be some of the most self-righteous baloney I've read in a while.

Let's see how long the ban lasts if women withhold sex in Alabama!  Cheers!
No man is a failure who has friends!

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
As someone who used to be on the fence with abortion (but now more in the pro-life camp), why should a human be allowed to kill another human?
Paul

Parsad

• Administrator
As someone who used to be on the fence with abortion (but now more in the pro-life camp), why should a human be allowed to kill another human?

Again, I don't know why this discussion is always decided by men, but get knocked up without consent at 16 by your uncle and ask me the same question!

We murder millions in the name of war, race and creed, including allowing assault rifles in homes, and we decry abortion.  Cheers!
No man is a failure who has friends!

VersaillesinNY

This is ridiculous. Criminalizing abortion brings Alabama back to the dark ages. Birth control should be a right for all women around the globe. Kudos to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member

Again, I don't know why this discussion is always decided by men, but get knocked up without consent at 16 by your uncle and ask me the same question!

We murder millions in the name of war, race and creed, including allowing assault rifles in homes, and we decry abortion.  Cheers!

Right, we should not decide this question (or any) by gender. We should have the conversation around logic and values.

So, you'd be okay with abortion being illegal except in case of rape, incest or if the mother's life is in danger?

I also don't understand that the comment about this discussion is "always being decided by men." That to me is an emotional set up.
For instance, should the way parents treat their children only be decided by parents? Logic, reason and values should lead a discussion - not identity.
Paul

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
This is ridiculous. Criminalizing abortion brings Alabama back to the dark ages. Birth control should be a right for all women around the globe. Kudos to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

I believe there is a difference in birth control and a human killing another human, isn't there?  ???

I

Paul

SouthernYankee

• Lifetime Member
"including allowing assault rifles in homes"

-Just went to a Shooting Sports Weekend with the Boy Scouts. There were ZERO incidents where a rifle assaulted any of the individuals who attended.

I do know one boy who cut his finger throwing hatchets.

Castanza

Let's see how long the ban lasts if women withhold sex in Alabama!  Cheers!

That's quite an objectifying comment regarding both men and women.

[/quote]

[/quote]

The girl would be allowed to have an abortion in that instance. Also what do you believe is so dangerous about "assault rifles"? Fun fact, more people were killed by hammers and dressers than rifles. What do you think the second amendment should cover?

Let me change it for you. "You can't stop women from murdering unborn children, but you can stop them from doing it legally."

legality /== morality

Tim Eriksen

• Lifetime Member

Hey it is your message board but this has to be top 10 for worst comments of the year. 

Seriously.  Let's see. Do women have the right to vote in Alabama?  Do they have the right to vote for men?  What gender is the governor?  Are women more pro-life than men?  If someone is the innocent victim of a horrible crime (rape), why is it an acceptable solution/response to harm (kill) another innocent victim? 

That is not at all to minimize the difficulty of carrying the baby,but your acceptable solution is barbaric.   Do we actually murder millions in the name of war, race and creed?  Do you actually fail to see the difference between killing in war and murder?   Is your logical argument that since we kill in the name of war, race or creed, what is the big deal about killing unborn babies?   Seriously???  Do you know how many are killed each year by assault rifles, race, creed and war in or by the US versus abortion in the US alone?  Do you think the numbers are even remotely close?