Author Topic: Art of the Deal  (Read 18855 times)

LC

Re: Art of the Deal
« Reply #190 on: January 07, 2019, 03:32:11 PM »
"Just admit it Sarah, your administration is holding the country hostage for a wall that nobody wants."

A wall that YOU don't want.

Cardboard

OK - A wall the majority of Americans (plus 100% of illegal immigrants  ;D ;D ;D) don't want:

A Quinnipiac poll of 1,147 voters reached on landlines or cell phones from Dec. 12-17 found that 54 percent of respondents opposed the wall and 43 percent supported it. A Harvard CAPS/Harris online survey of 1,407 registered voters conducted Dec. 24-26  found that 56 percent of those surveyed did not support a wall, while 44 percent did.

Just 35 percent of those surveyed supported including money for the wall in a federal spending bill, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll of 2,440 adults conducted online Dec. 21-25.

More than two-thirds of Americans donít think the wall should be a priority, according to a poll of 1,075 adults by NPR, PBS News Hour and Marist. That poll was conducted Nov. 28-Dec. 4 using live telephone interviews to reach both landlines and cell phones.

"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | dis | irm | mo | nlsn | pm | relx | tap | tfsl | vz | wm

LC

« Reply #191 on: January 07, 2019, 03:36:21 PM »
So of those convictions only 9-10% actually committed real crimes with real victims.

Truly magical when I agree with your sentiment :) :)

FYI, by your methodology (Which I may not totally agree with but for humor's sake)

Economic crime consists of:
Larceny, fraud, embezzlement,
forgery/counterfeiting, tax offenses, and antitrust
(i.e., price fixing)

So your % may be even lower (5-7%)
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | dis | irm | mo | nlsn | pm | relx | tap | tfsl | vz | wm

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #192 on: January 07, 2019, 03:43:50 PM »
Lindsey Graham doesn't want a wall.

He wants funding for a metaphor.

It's an endowment for the arts.

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #193 on: January 07, 2019, 09:24:40 PM »
Technically, according to NBC, there were 41 people on the United Statesí Terrorist Screening Database who were apprehended at the southern border between October 2017 and March 2018. Of that number, 35 were actually U.S. citizens or lawful residents. Incidentally, NBC reported, there were nearly twice as many people from the database stopped at the northern borderó41 of whom werenít citizens or lawful residents.

https://splinternews.com/sarah-huckabee-sanders-latest-absurd-lie-has-fallen-apa-1831557157

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2019, 06:28:05 AM »
So of those convictions only 9-10% actually committed real crimes with real victims.

Truly magical when I agree with your sentiment :) :)

FYI, by your methodology (Which I may not totally agree with but for humor's sake)

Economic crime consists of:
Larceny, fraud, embezzlement,
forgery/counterfeiting, tax offenses, and antitrust
(i.e., price fixing)

So your % may be even lower (5-7%)

:)

I was trying to give the convictions the benefit of the doubt, but you are correct.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2019, 07:24:35 AM »
"Reality is that very few on this thread are proposing any real solution. Liberals hypocritically want fully open border while the Libertarians will shoot any who trespasses their properties."

What I wrote on January 4 still seems to fully apply.

Cardboard

I'm not sure what " Libertarians will shoot any who trespasses their properties" even means?  You wouldn't shoot someone who broke into your home?   

I consider myself to be mostly libertarian and I want them to come to the US, bring their families, and contribute to our economy (both above the table and under it, both the white market and the black market) by getting jobs or bringing in the drugs people want, etc...

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2019, 08:58:33 AM »
I think it is pretty simple to understand.

Die hard Libertarians feel insulated from society with their guns and fortified property. So they don't mind a lawless society, drugs, open borders as long as they have that refuge and ways to defend themselves. Kind of similar to Hollywood stars although, they push a different agenda.

However, it is not everyone who owns weaponry, is capable or even willing to defend themselves with a weapon: older people, kids. It is also not everyone who owns a property and can aim and shoot at those approaching from the distance: think appartment complex. 

Most have also not been exposed to these issues personally: a son who is addicted or live far away from the border (you are in New Hampshire?).

While I agree with a fair bit of it, this self-sufficient way of thinking falls short very quickly. You need a balance in everything and obviously some proper laws.

Furthermore, once Liberals finally get their wish of turning more red States into purple States and southern immigration is certainly part of their plan as Latinos become fervent Democrat supporters (our Party or the ones who defend us), then what do you think next target will be?

Answer: banning guns. 

Cardboard

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2019, 09:17:11 AM »
"Reality is that very few on this thread are proposing any real solution. Liberals hypocritically want fully open border while the Libertarians will shoot any who trespasses their properties."

What I wrote on January 4 still seems to fully apply.

Cardboard

The problem is the tribalism.  You (and many others) are dismissing the points of others by applying labels to the person. 

Today you pointed out that I have some opinions held by Republicans but not others. 

I am not a tribal person.  I am not going over the cliff if the buffalo are running that way.

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2019, 10:39:10 AM »
Cardboard,
The issues appear to be related.  The war on drugs has increased gun violence, and that has led to calls for gun legislation.  The war on drugs has led to increased interaction between police and minorities, and that has led to social conflict (Black Lives Matter).

Most have also not been exposed to these issues personally: a son who is addicted or live far away from the border (you are in New Hampshire?).

The war on drugs isn't solving that problem.  You have a massive drug problem and a massive gun violence problem when drugs are illegal.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2017/10/17/federal-prisons-don-t-even-try-to-rehabilitate-the-undocumented

Portugal does not have a war on drugs.  Why not give it a try here?

Answer: banning guns. 

I believe the libertarians feel that their guns have been under threat mainly because of the war on drugs.

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #199 on: January 08, 2019, 10:51:14 AM »
"The problem is the tribalism.  You (and many others) are dismissing the points of others by applying labels to the person."

Problem is who is right and who is wrong? Problem is who puts their heads in the sand and who choses to do something to fix it?

A wall or fence or whatever you want to call it, electronic surveillance combined with patrol and laws indicating that anyone who trespasses can never return to the U.S. is the solution.

Then a few great big doors where honest people can register and come in.

Drug is a debate for another time. Let's address one issue at a time. And no, no war on drugs as you call it, does not solve illegal immigration.

Cardboard