Author Topic: Art of the Deal  (Read 17989 times)

LC

Re: Art of the Deal
« Reply #200 on: January 08, 2019, 11:25:37 AM »
Cardboard you still haven't addressed my suggestion yet you, like Greg, incorrectly complain that no alternatives are presented.

You also make ridiculous claims like, "A wall or fence or whatever you want to call it, electronic surveillance combined with patrol and laws indicating that anyone who trespasses can never return to the U.S. is the solution."

We're talking about illegal immigration and you are suggesting laws saying they cant come here! Do you hear yourself?
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | dis | irm | mo | nlsn | pm | relx | tap | tfsl | vz | wm

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #201 on: January 08, 2019, 11:32:29 AM »
Drug policy is a part of this debate.

The situation in Latin America would be different if Pfizer was manufacturing cheap heroin and cheap cocaine sourced from US agriculture.

Trump is calling them murderers — that has to be based on the Latin American homicide numbers.

US consumers are funding the cartels, which in turn drive the homocide statistics.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #202 on: January 08, 2019, 11:37:54 AM »
Cardboard,
The issues appear to be related.  The war on drugs has increased gun violence, and that has led to calls for gun legislation.  The war on drugs has led to increased interaction between police and minorities, and that has led to social conflict (Black Lives Matter).

Most have also not been exposed to these issues personally: a son who is addicted or live far away from the border (you are in New Hampshire?).

The war on drugs isn't solving that problem.  You have a massive drug problem and a massive gun violence problem when drugs are illegal.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2017/10/17/federal-prisons-don-t-even-try-to-rehabilitate-the-undocumented

Portugal does not have a war on drugs.  Why not give it a try here?

Answer: banning guns. 

I believe the libertarians feel that their guns have been under threat mainly because of the war on drugs.

Exactly.  Far from wanting violent lawlessness, we want an end to the street violence and corresponding militarization of the police by ending the root cause of it.  Which is the war on drugs.  Legalizing alcohol didn't plunge the country into lawlessness it reduced the violence caused by its prohibition. The first federal gun laws were a direct result of the demagoguery and fear mongering about "gangsters with tommy guns".   Why were their gangsters with tommy guns?  Not because of alcohol, but because of the laws against alcohol.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #203 on: January 08, 2019, 11:43:14 AM »
And BTW, saying I am far away from it all is not true.  There are more per capita drug deaths in New Hampshire than any of the southern border states.

EDIT:  This is 2016 data I'm pretty sure I read that NH went up to #2 in 2017
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/drug_poisoning_mortality/drug_poisoning.htm
Top 3:

Drug Overdose Mortality by State: 2016

Age-Adjusted Death Ratesą
United States 19.8

West Virginia 52.0   
Ohio   39.1
New Hampshire   39.0   
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:47:53 AM by rkbabang »

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #204 on: January 08, 2019, 12:03:47 PM »
And BTW, saying I am far away from it all is not true.  There are more per capita drug deaths in New Hampshire than any of the southern border states.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/drug_poisoning_mortality/drug_poisoning.htm
Top 3:

United States 19.8

West Virginia 52.0   
Ohio   39.1
New Hampshire   39.0

And he isn’t the father of a child killed by street violence, either.

Gregmal

« Reply #205 on: January 08, 2019, 12:58:20 PM »
Cardboard you still haven't addressed my suggestion yet you, like Greg, incorrectly complain that no alternatives are presented.

You also make ridiculous claims like, "A wall or fence or whatever you want to call it, electronic surveillance combined with patrol and laws indicating that anyone who trespasses can never return to the U.S. is the solution."

We're talking about illegal immigration and you are suggesting laws saying they cant come here! Do you hear yourself?

LOL The same proposal you have admitted in others posts to being half assed and not serious.... But we're supposed to entertain you...

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #206 on: January 08, 2019, 01:04:54 PM »

LOL The same proposal you have admitted in others posts to being half assed and not serious.... But we're supposed to entertain you...

I think you are already entertaining him.

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #207 on: January 08, 2019, 01:42:58 PM »

Top 3:

United States 19.8

West Virginia 52.0   
Ohio   39.1
New Hampshire   39.0

What were the rates before the war on drugs?

LC

« Reply #208 on: January 08, 2019, 02:28:41 PM »

What didn't you like about it Greg?

BTW I also suggested increased drone and radar activity (which illegal migrants admit were their biggest fear). But that fell on deaf ears as well.

I thought you and Cardboard were open to discussion! Or are you building a wall there too?
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | dis | irm | mo | nlsn | pm | relx | tap | tfsl | vz | wm

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #209 on: January 08, 2019, 03:38:09 PM »
Decades ago, the United States and Portugal both struggled with illicit drugs and took decisive action — in diametrically opposite directions. The U.S. cracked down vigorously, spending billions of dollars incarcerating drug users. In contrast, Portugal undertook a monumental experiment: It decriminalized the use of all drugs in 2001, even heroin and cocaine, and unleashed a major public health campaign to tackle addiction. Ever since in Portugal, drug addiction has been treated more as a medical challenge than as a criminal justice issue.

The United States drug policy failed spectacularly, with about as many Americans dying last year of overdoses — around 64,000 — as were killed in the Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq Wars combined.

In contrast, Portugal may be winning the war on drugs — by ending it. Today, the Health Ministry estimates that only about 25,000 Portuguese use heroin, down from 100,000 when the policy began.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/opinion/sunday/portugal-drug-decriminalization.amp.html
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 03:40:59 PM by ERICOPOLY »