Author Topic: Kudos to Trump!  (Read 4388 times)

Parsad

• Administrator
Kudos to Trump!
« on: June 21, 2019, 05:06:58 PM »
I'll praise him when warranted...did the right thing by not striking Iran.  His reasoning of "150 lost lives in a strike not making sense relative to the destruction of the drone"...probably the first President to make that type of decision in American history! 

I'm happy throwing shit at him when he screws up and acts like a bigoted, bully, jackass, but Dems, Republicans and global leaders should praise him for keeping a calm head on this one.  His entire team was telling him to strike.  Cheers!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/21/us/politics/trump-iran-attack.html
No man is a failure who has friends!

Gregmal

Re: Kudos to Trump!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 05:26:14 PM »
I'll admit, I was very surprised by this as well.

Spekulatius

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 05:48:31 PM »
I agree with above, but I am not that surprised. I think Trump is way more reluctant to get drawn into a war than many other presidents before him. Sometimes, doing nothing can be the hardest thing to do, but it might just be the right thing.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

LC

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 09:47:26 PM »
The thing about Trump is he's a bully. He'll take advantage of those with little or no power. When you hit back, now he reels.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | irm | mo | nlsn | pm | tap | v | vz | wm

Parsad

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 12:20:09 AM »
The thing about Trump is he's a bully. He'll take advantage of those with little or no power. When you hit back, now he reels.

I don't think that is what he was doing here.  Yes, he's a bully, and even tries to intimidate foreign nations, but it would have been very easy to side with Pompeo and Bolton.  To say innocent lives weren't reciprocal to a drone being shot down...now that takes courage...especially for a guy who never likes to look weak! 

The last five predecessors to Trump (Reagen to Obama) found it easy to retaliate or start wars.  Very easy to push a button or send others to their death.  I'm glad Trump didn't find the decision so easy.  Cheers! 

Spekulatius

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 05:28:49 AM »

I don't think that is what he was doing here.  Yes, he's a bully, and even tries to intimidate foreign nations, but it would have been very easy to side with Pompeo and Bolton.  To say innocent lives weren't reciprocal to a drone being shot down...now that takes courage...especially for a guy who never likes to look weak! 

The last five predecessors to Trump (Reagen to Obama) found it easy to retaliate or start wars.  Very easy to push a button or send others to their death.  I'm glad Trump didn't find the decision so easy.  Cheers!

I agree with above. Trump is a bit like a dog who barks a lot but doesnít immediately bite. Then there are dogs who donít bark and just bite you. I prefer the former.

Trump can always push the button later. Look at history - WW1, Vietnam, Syria (?), Gulf war II where buttons were pushed too easily and sometimes on incorrect information.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 08:33:15 AM »
I'm appalled that he ordered the strike to begin with, but very happy that he did the right thing in the end. Had any other president done this there is no way in hell we would ever know that they changed their mind like that.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 08:38:14 AM by rkbabang »

Castanza

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 02:14:52 PM »

LC your bias is deeply rooted and I don't understand why. I'm all for being critical of presidents, but you have to give them credit where credit is due. And I'm not saying Trump won't make a mistake moving forward (Iran related or not). But I'm curious to hear who you think has been a good president in recent years? Or just in general?

Obama came into office with a freaking Nobel Peace prize and out bombed GWB, He also deported more people with ICE than Trump has.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/449665-trump-deporting-immigrants-at-slower-pace-than-obama-report

BUT Trump came into office saying he was going to slash spending blah blah blah. In reality the deficit is growing more and more and we are still spending more. 

LC

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 04:30:06 PM »
I'd love to know why you think my response was biased. And just for clarity, I agree with the ultimate decision not to attack Iran. I think it was the correct decision. This was my analysis of why Trump goes from ordering a military strike to cancelling it.

It's possible there is another explanation: perhaps he had an 11th-hour change of heart and found Jesus, or maybe he simply had a senile moment. Maybe it wasn't Trump at all but somebody else called it off and it's being attributed to Trump.

Tons of possibilities, but IMHO the most likely explanation is the bully-behavior I described, which is consistent with his historical pattern of behavior. If that's a biased analysis of the situation, I'd love to learn why.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | irm | mo | nlsn | pm | tap | v | vz | wm

Parsad

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 11:17:40 PM »
I'm just glad they chose the cyber-attack route rather than bombing or a war.  Cripple their military computer systems/network and embargo supplies/trade.  Cheers!