Author Topic: Ocasio Cortez Plan 'economic security for those unwilling to work'  (Read 6509 times)

MarkS

Re: Ocasio Cortez Plan 'economic security for those unwilling to work'
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2019, 07:41:09 AM »
Thanks Cigarbutt

Good link!   I believe Buddhist refer to it as "impermanence" - which can be a cruel teacher.  I'm actually not that pessimistic about the future -  one of the benefits of being older is that your future is somewhat limited - I'm just not sure that for the moment raising the incomes of most Americans is particularly doable.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 07:47:40 AM by MarkS »

MarkS

« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2019, 10:14:39 AM »
Creating an environment where people maintain the hope and belief that they can move up the economic ladder is a noble cause.  I completely agree with the sentiment, however, I'm deeply sceptical over our long term ability to provide that environment.
Here are just some of the reasons why I'm sceptical:

1). Fewer marriages and fewer family formations

2). Poor lower educational system / high cost of college attendance

3).  Rising competition from developing countries

4). Rise of Artificial Intelligence

5).  High government debt levels limits ability for future spending on needed programs

6). Huge inflows of immigrants with little or no basic education and/or skills

7). Growing animosity between various identity groups

8).  Dysfunctional government

I could go on but I'm starting to find myself depressed. 😕
Hi MarkS,
Here's a link with an excerpt from Will Durant whose parents came from a similar genetic basin as mine and who moved to the US because it was the land of relative opportunities.
https://www.valueinvestingworld.com/
We'll get there (to be defined) somehow.
Also, all the reasons you mention should be seen as potential opportunities for value investors. :)
BTW my favorite cello piece is the Cello Suite No. 1, Prelude 1 by J.S. Bach. It is short, intense and full of hope!

That's too funny.  A few days ago i sent this link to the Cello Suite No. 1, Prelude to DooDiligence.  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cello+bach+prelude+1&&view=detail&mid=40F6614C11D690F1871040F6614C11D690F18710&&FORM=VRDGAR

cubsfan

« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2019, 10:51:37 AM »
Aw, man - is this chick crazy?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/43880/ocasio-cortez-people-maybe-shouldnt-reproduce-due-ryan-saavedra

I mean, every time she opens her mouth it's like Ground Hog Day: "Dumb and Dumber"

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2019, 12:10:03 PM »
Apparently that she found a job for her boyfriend in the swamp. Do you think that two will not have childrens eventually?

Do what I say, not as I do!

Cardboard

Schwab711

« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2019, 01:55:38 PM »
Apparently that she found a job for her boyfriend in the swamp. Do you think that two will not have childrens eventually?

Cardboard

Trump's NSA tried to sell nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia to personally profit. Trump personally asked the FBI Director to stop his investigation in to Flynn and asked for loyalty from the FBI Director around the time of the prior request. That thread on Flynn's attempt to sell nuclear technology to SA is radio silent.

Rules for me, but not for thee!

cubsfan

« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2019, 02:09:44 PM »

Cardboard

Trump's NSA tried to sell nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia to personally profit. Trump personally asked the FBI Director to stop his investigation in to Flynn and asked for loyalty from the FBI Director around the time of the prior request. That thread on Flynn's attempt to sell nuclear technology to SA is radio silent.

Rules for me, but not for thee!

Yea, not nearly as slick as Hillary greasing the skids for the Russian Uranium One deal for a cool
$150M "donation" to the Clinton Foundation "slush fund" - now there was a real "pay for play" deal!!

Oh, yeah, but at the time, Russia was not really our enemy... like now...right.

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2019, 04:03:12 PM »
Schwab just volunteered for castration. AOC promised to send him a portrait of her to thank him for his contribution!

Cardboard

Schwab711

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2019, 06:14:18 PM »
Childish whining. Virtue signaling crap that contradicts something you wrote hours or days before. Trigger-induced insults.

Signed,
Cardboard

rukawa

« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2019, 08:30:27 PM »
LC the very fact that we see increased regulation, increased laws, increased social programs, should be evidence enough that the government thinks it knows what's best for you. Just last month I had to have an inspector come into my house and look at the screw patterns on my drywall to make sure it was "safe." Only once I paid $100 and had this approved was I allowed to put mud over it. Sure, this is on the local level, but the principle is the same. Government is getting involved in things they have no business knowings.
Yeah so this is question around regulation, correct?

We've got some anarchists on this board who will happily welcome you into their ranks  ;D

I agree not all regulations are "good". Some are outdated, some are lobbied by industry to provide barriers to entry, some are created simply to siphon rents for government, and some are genuinely sensible.

For example, what if you put all your drywall screws through the romex and it started an electrical fire, and burned down your house and died? Or even worse if it burned down half the block, and threw out the transformer and the neighborhood lost power?

Building codes exist for a few reasons:
1- the homeowner's safety and assurance
2- the safety and assurance of your neighbors
3- shared lower costs of insurance premiums
4- general ease of burden on shared services (utility services/repairs, firefighters, ambulances, etc.)

I think building codes are fantastic. In fact things like that I regard as the only real progress of humanity. Its like this invisible thing no one sees and is not in any political debates but saves lives. However I am not sure that government inspectors need to be involved with building codes. But government does need to be involved in some way. Perhaps by requiring certain forms of insurance.

The problem as I see it is that bureaucracies tend to grow over time. Castanza's example is a good one. That inspection of his house was probably a waste of time but the inspector needs something to do so they make work up. Government almost never shrinks...it only increases in size.

Incidentally a large amount of industrial safety practices and ideas did not come from government. It came from insurers. A good example is underwriters limited.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UL_(safety_organization)

There is also a big question as to the effectiveness of most health and safety regulations. If I were to guess I would suspect that 90% of the increase in safety and health across the economy is purely due to technological innovation. E.g. we didn't get rid of horse dung from cities due to regulations...we got rid of it because of the car.