Author Topic: So Desperate  (Read 14789 times)

rb

Re: So Desperate
« Reply #230 on: October 08, 2018, 11:49:56 PM »
I find it fascinating that Republicans think it's a good idea to go out of their way to piss off women. Reminds me of that Mark Twain quote:

If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things that cannot be learned in any other way.

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2018, 12:33:27 AM »
I find it fascinating that Republicans think it's a good idea to go out of their way to piss off women. Reminds me of that Mark Twain quote:

If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things that cannot be learned in any other way.

A couple of weeks ago I was following this "twitter discussion" which included a woman, obviously quite intelligent who supported a certain view. I checked out her profile and it had "1. [specific religion name here], wife, mom, in this order of importance".

From her perspective, it is correct that men would hold her by the tail because that's how it is supposed to be.  Add to that the current economic situation and I'm not that certain a blue-wave is coming.

cubsfan

« Reply #232 on: October 09, 2018, 04:25:30 AM »
Most reasonable American women are against the weaponization of victimhood.

They see through this farce and national disgrace by the left.

Cigarbutt

« Reply #233 on: October 09, 2018, 05:31:01 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I was following this "twitter discussion" which included a woman, obviously quite intelligent who supported a certain view. I checked out her profile and it had "1. [specific religion name here], wife, mom, in this order of importance".

From her perspective, it is correct that men would hold her by the tail because that's how it is supposed to be.  Add to that the current economic situation and I'm not that certain a blue-wave is coming.
A couple of months ago, while visiting the US, had a discussion with a woman, an accomplished and bright veterinarian who ran her farm and her large family who obliged to share certain views in order to enlighten me. On why she voted Trump, she explained that the country needed to be "saved". On the overriding principle guiding her important decisions: "You get what you deserve". Indeed.

cubsfan

« Reply #234 on: October 10, 2018, 06:03:46 AM »

wachtwoord

« Reply #235 on: October 12, 2018, 03:34:05 AM »

I hope that's true for you. Most north western Europeans do not (or we have too few reasonable ones left).
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master"

ALS.TO - MRCR - FELP - PDER - NVTR - SODI - ADDC - FFH.TO - ELF.TO - WWIB.OL -  JD - HNFSA - IPO.TO - BONL - GNW -  BWEL - DC.A - POE.V - DAAT - NYRT

SharperDingaan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2018, 07:01:31 AM »

Problem is that the unwanted groping/grabbing/rape is still unwanted groping/grabbing/rape.
And it has nothing to do with political tribalism.

SD

Gregmal

« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2018, 07:08:07 AM »

Problem is that the unwanted groping/grabbing/rape is still unwanted groping/grabbing/rape.

SD

While that is true, I also believe that there are enough women out there who don't believe they are "victims" and "survivors" because some guy pinched their ass. Certainly not something worth protesting over.

SharperDingaan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2018, 07:27:44 AM »

SD

While that is true, I also believe that there are enough women out there who don't believe they are "victims" and "survivors" because some guy pinched their ass. Certainly not something worth protesting over.

Agreed they don't protest, they vote instead.
Conversations behind the closed doors of the 'sisterhood', and mothers quietly acting to improve life for their daughters - all the way down the maternal line.

Christine Lagarde has also highlighted the influence of the 'sisterhood', albeit in a different context.
"Would there have been a different outcome - if 'Lehman Brothers' had instead been 'Lehman Sisters' ?"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Lagarde

SD

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 05:59:33 AM by SharperDingaan »

thowed

« Reply #239 on: October 13, 2018, 05:42:48 AM »

OK, let's go to Munger and INVERT.

If people occasionally pinched my ass, I wouldn't say I was a 'victim' or a 'survivor'.

But I'd a) be pissed off b) would expect the people who did it to change their behaviour and c) vocalise and get involved if they didn't change.

And if I knew a guy who didn't feel like that, I'd think they were a loser to be so passive and put up with it.

So I don't see why any woman should feel differently.

I don't see that this has anything to do with any of the political discourse on this board.  This is a case of basic politeness and civility, that I hope for once you can all agree with.