Author Topic: The President, bribery, and Ukraine  (Read 9887 times)

Read the Footnotes

Re: The President, bribery, and Ukraine
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2019, 09:48:49 AM »

I debate with cubsfan because I've always heard he is a great person irl . . .

Not that Schwab was trying to out, me but . . .

I admit it. I said it. And more than once.

Gregmal

« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2019, 09:51:41 AM »
You are a very sore loser. Your concession speech is very sore.

Schwab711,

There are "campaign finance crimes in front of the whole country" everyday:
 - promising student debt writeoff if you mail them a $25 check every month.
 - promising medical debt writeoff if you mail them a $25 check every month.
 - promising free education if you mail them a $25 check every month.
 - promising free healthcare if you mail them a $25 check every month.
 - promising $200 extra per month for sitting on your ass (whether in diners or in front of the TV at home) if you mail them a $25 check every month.
- promising universal pre-K if you mail them a $25 check every month.

"It's sad you can't admit it."

This makes no sense. I don't want to engage with it. Your tax math is wrong too. Half of social security is deductible and you are talking marginal rates when the point of the proposal is to raise effective rates. I don't even necessarily disagree with some of your stances but you are plain rude and do a terrible job arguing them. Your argument above can be obviously shown inconsistent.

I debate with cubsfan because I've always heard he is a great person irl and I disagree with his views on Trump alone. He is intellectually honest in general and there's mutual respect. That's a gap that can be bridged even if we never agree. I debate with gregmal because he's polite, very knowledgeable, and intellectually consistent. We disagree on a lot but I have learned a lot from him. Consider his rebuttal above. I vigorously disagree, but it's a tough point to defend against, right now. Its not just leaving it at "prior work", it's the focus on optics. That's the difference. He is a good competitor in debate. I get the opinion you just want me to think like you or I'm terrible, and that's not fun nor interesting.

This sounds like the debate approach of somebody else you seem to detest....

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1102661631568461824?lang=en

cubsfan

« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2019, 10:56:10 AM »

Ok, ok - you guys have me right where you want me...  I'll apologize and try to turn the rhetoric down.
Not easy on a politics thread.  As long as we are all trying to be intellectually honest - that is what really matters.
Debate is an important way to get there, but I understand the flaming doesn't help.

I know RTF well and respect him a ton. Schwab, I see his passion and can't help but admire it - and when Gregmal vouches for him - well, what can I say.
Even my nemesis, LC, said the most brilliant thing last month "I'm sure over a couple of pints, we'd all get along famously" - so true.

I'm sure we all care about our country and the direction it is headed - and the truth is very hard to find these days.

Ok - sincerely appreciate the thoughts. I'll try once again to be a better citizen of CoBF.

LC

« Reply #163 on: October 09, 2019, 12:16:28 PM »
Even my nemesis, LC, said the most brilliant thing last month "I'm sure over a couple of pints, we'd all get along famously" - so true.
I meant it, too!
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | irm | mmm | mo | nlsn | pm | pypl | tap | v | wm

Read the Footnotes

« Reply #164 on: October 09, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »

Ok, ok - you guys have me right where you want me...  I'll apologize and try to turn the rhetoric down.
Not easy on a politics thread.  As long as we are all trying to be intellectually honest - that is what really matters.
Debate is an important way to get there, but I understand the flaming doesn't help.

I know RTF well and respect him a ton. Schwab, I see his passion and can't help but admire it - and when Gregmal vouches for him - well, what can I say.

I'm sure we all care about our country and the direction it is headed - and the truth is very hard to find these days.

Ok - sincerely appreciate the thoughts. I'll try once again to be a better citizen of CoBF.

Now that the heat has been turned down a bit, I'll admit that I have been saying nice things about cubs fan behind his back, and I did so openly and with no shame, contrary to what I jokingly implied. I did probably say "he's a great guy" rather than person though if we want to be really acurate, and I acknowledge I am confident I am not Schwab's only source for that information.

I also know Schwab personally. I know he is an accomplished financial analyst and tries sincerely to bring the same kind of rigor to any research and analysis he does including in the political realm.

Cubs, thank you for the kind words and thank you for directing us to what's most important when you said:

I'm sure we all can agree with these words regardless of any biases or beliefs.

And for our international board members, they too may be affected by what is going on in the US, or may be affected by similar issues in their own countries or regions.

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #165 on: October 09, 2019, 06:07:21 PM »

Is it me or did Fox News start to slowly turn against Trump?

https://twitter.com/BretBaier/status/1182054428314132481

"Tonight on #SpecialReport-- new
@foxnewspoll
 on #impeachment shows 51% of those polled favor impeachment and removal from office. #FoxNews"

Another step forward.  They could have easily fixed the number in his favor as they have done before.

Gregmal

« Reply #166 on: October 09, 2019, 06:20:33 PM »
We've all seen "the polls" before...I remember when everyone was sooooo certain Hillary's double digit lead guaranteed her the WH.

If the sentiment lasts then I guess no one has to worry about Trump getting re-elected next year...start selling all your stocks now!

RuleNumberOne

« Reply #167 on: October 09, 2019, 08:02:03 PM »
That is how they attract independents to Fox. Fox will be the only one with balanced coverage watched by independent voters.

Is it me or did Fox News start to slowly turn against Trump?

https://twitter.com/BretBaier/status/1182054428314132481

"Tonight on #SpecialReport-- new
@foxnewspoll
 on #impeachment shows 51% of those polled favor impeachment and removal from office. #FoxNews"

Another step forward.  They could have easily fixed the number in his favor as they have done before.

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #168 on: October 09, 2019, 09:55:22 PM »
We've all seen "the polls" before...I remember when everyone was sooooo certain Hillary's double digit lead guaranteed her the WH.

If the sentiment lasts then I guess no one has to worry about Trump getting re-elected next year...start selling all your stocks now!

You missed the whole point here. The fact that Fox chose to publish a number over 50% might have some significance in the context of what I wrote. Still early to tell.

Read the Footnotes

« Reply #169 on: October 10, 2019, 06:47:17 AM »
I think "sleepy" Joe may have just rope-a-doped Donald Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaHa1tdjvLw

Joe Biden does a good job of looking like the least worst Democratic candidate. If Biden can keep putting in performances like this not only will he be the candidate for the Democratic ticket, but I think he will handily beat Trump, if it's a fair fight.

It's actually a somber moment when a former Vice-President makes such horrible accusations against a sitting President.

I stand by my previous comments that I hope the GOP will throw Trump overboard quickly and put forward a candidate with a better chance. The time limits for the GOP to put forward a better candidate are more practical and not some fast approaching statutory time deadline. They have many months for someone to throw there hat in the ring even from a practical standpoint, but I sincerely believe the sooner the better for them. Every month after December that they put it off probably makes it a bit harder for them.