Author Topic: POLL - Trump's Behavior  (Read 3891 times)

cobafdek

POLL - Trump's Behavior
« on: November 03, 2017, 07:19:18 AM »
Imagine a successful Trump presidency at the end of 4 years (3+% GDP growth rate each year, and a nuclear disarmament peace treaty with North Korea).

Assume Trump's style and behavior stays the same all 4 years.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
Re: POLL - Trump's Behavior
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 07:28:06 AM »
With 3+% growth and a peace treaty with NK, I would hope he'd be re-elected.  No reason not to continue the show.

watsa_is_a_randian_hero

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 07:51:25 AM »
Imagine a successful Trump presidency at the end of 4 years (3+% GDP growth rate each year, and a nuclear disarmament peace treaty with North Korea).

Assume Trump's style and behavior stays the same all 4 years.

I think you should make it more clear in the headline you are referring to ONLY style and behavior, and assuming economic success during those 4 years.  IE, "should he be removed for bad style even if the substance is ultimately good?"

Cigarbutt

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 08:12:31 AM »
Fair enough question.
Opinion: President should not be removed just for style and behavior (the latter may need to be defined).
Unless warranted (that is obviously open to discussion), the best way to answer the question is through the next planned democratic election.

President Reagan is often mentioned (and compared to) in these discussions.
For the fans, recent documentary trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07BHVGm-Y6s

Fundamental question:
If this is just a show, who is writing the script?

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 08:24:16 AM »
Fair enough question.
Opinion: President should not be removed just for style and behavior (the latter may need to be defined).
Unless warranted (that is obviously open to discussion), the best way to answer the question is through the next planned democratic election.

President Reagan is often mentioned (and compared to) in these discussions.
For the fans, recent documentary trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07BHVGm-Y6s

Fundamental question:
If this is just a show, who is writing the script?

Unscripted reality show.  That is what people are upset about.  With past presidents every move they make and word they say is usually heavily scripted and considered.  This guy is just doing everything off the cuff.

BTShine

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 09:16:16 AM »
I'll take results over what's palatable to the eyes and ears

(If you can only have one or the other)

EliG

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 09:19:19 AM »
I didn't vote. There is a lot more to a successful presidency than 3+% GDP growth or NK disarmament.

What if his toxic style and behavior:
- badly divide the nation, even more so than it already is
- encourage scores of other politicians to copy him
- cause lasting damage to democratic traditions and rule of law

Would it be a successful presidency?

When it comes to the presidency, style and behavior are joined at the hip with substance.

BTW, Clinton was impeached for his behavior.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:30:33 AM by EliG »

Ross812

• Lifetime Member
  • One of my favorite bourbons at any price!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 10:12:38 AM »
I don't see where Trump has done anything illegal and removing a president from office for anything but breaking the law is illegal. With that said, I think Trump's behavior and style while in office thus far has been a complete embarrassment to the country. The President is the leader of the entire country including the citizens who didn't vote for him. The divisive language has not place coming from the Whitehouse. His behavior probably has a lot more to do with his reelection than being removed from office. I think the voters who supported him fell into one of three camps:

1. Traditional conservatives who vote based on fiscal policy or values. These voters probably didn't support Trump in the primary, but held their noses during the general election because they didn't want to see a democrat in office.

2. Independents who wanted to see a change in Washington. They saw Trump as something different, he could breaking the mold and get something done for the people. These are the people who may have voted for Obama in 2008.     

3. Nationalists or those who want to conserve the white male majority in this country. These were the people who really helped him win the primary.

Trump's behavior seems to be measured to make sure he keeps Group 3 satisfied (ie. the response to the NYC attack vs Charlottesville). I think this same behavior is alienating more moderate Republicans in group 1 and those hoping for a positive change in group 2. I'm don't think he can win a second term unless he starts appealing to more of the people who elected him.
-Portfolio by size-
LKQ, ADS, BRK.B, FRFHF, AXP, DIS, TJX, SBUX, BF.B, NOV, Liberty Cos., ORLY, LCSHF, WLTW, GILD, BAM, V, TRIP, ATUSF, KMI

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 10:22:56 AM »
I don't see where Trump has done anything illegal and removing a president from office for anything but breaking the law is illegal. With that said, I think Trump's behavior and style while in office thus far has been a complete embarrassment to the country. The President is the leader of the entire country including the citizens who didn't vote for him. The divisive language has not place coming from the Whitehouse. His behavior probably has a lot more to do with his reelection than being removed from office. I think the voters who supported him fell into one of three camps:

1. Traditional conservatives who vote based on fiscal policy or values. These voters probably didn't support Trump in the primary, but held their noses during the general election because they didn't want to see a democrat in office.

2. Independents who wanted to see a change in Washington. They saw Trump as something different, he could breaking the mold and get something done for the people. These are the people who may have voted for Obama in 2008.     

3. Nationalists or those who want to conserve the white male majority in this country. These were the people who really helped him win the primary.

Trump's behavior seems to be measured to make sure he keeps Group 3 satisfied (ie. the response to the NYC attack vs Charlottesville). I think this same behavior is alienating more moderate Republicans in group 1 and those hoping for a positive change in group 2. I'm don't think he can win a second term unless he starts appealing to more of the people who elected him.

I think you are completely wrong.  Group 3 is so small as to be almost non-existent (at least from a voting block perspective).  I don't vote, but know many Trump supporters and none of them are racist or sexists or supremisists of any stripe.   How many nazis, kkk members, or overt racists do you know?  I'd suspect very few if any, because very few exist.  1 & 2 are why he won (#1 being the largest group).  Very few wanted Hillary to be president and that had nothing to do with her gender, but with her specifically.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:24:47 AM by rkbabang »

LC

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »
How many nazis, kkk members, or overt racists do you know?  I'd suspect very few if any, because very few exist.
When I was living in new york I would've said probably zero. Since moving to the west that answer has changed!
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | khc | nke | mo | renx | c | wppgy | dis | cmp