Author Topic: Trump Derangement Syndrome  (Read 41068 times)

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
Re: Trump Derangement Syndrome
« Reply #180 on: May 29, 2018, 05:36:32 AM »
Good post RB.

While I agree with you in general, I disagree about excessive regulation. This seems to come when a government becomes too large, too powerful and basically wants to tell people and businesses how they should conduct every facet of their life.

Once that happens, then the system becomes paralyzed, inefficient and not safer since so complex too manage.

On taxes, it is more of the same as the above. Complexity, special rules for all kinds of special interest groups, a government (right or left) that wants to take money from the majority to give it to their favourite cause becomes a real burden for society.

My personal view is that common sense, accountability, proper incentives are key to derive a good balance to these two topics.

Cardboard 

LC

« Reply #181 on: May 29, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »
Keep in mind that investor-man, along with Schwab711, are two of LC's dissociated identities.  There may be more.
:o

LC has been practicing this for years and is therefore better than most at playing devil's advocate in real life forensics.
This is why I keep reminding you to take your daily dose of thorazine!

Most of the important stuff in this country are going well (economy, jobs, Korea, ISIS, immigration, federal judges, etc.)
Keep in mind this isn't all attributable to Trump. I remember having multiple conversations on this board during Obama's tenure regarding "how little control the President really has over the economy"

While I agree with you in general, I disagree about excessive regulation. This seems to come when a government becomes too large, too powerful and basically wants to tell people and businesses how they should conduct every facet of their life.
I think we can all point to areas where excess regulation becomes burdensome. But in my opinion, when the pendulum swings too far to one side (over-regulation), the answer isn't to push it just as far to the other side. As you mention later in your post, common sense is required.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 08:53:53 AM by LC »
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | cash

Schwab711

« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2018, 10:06:20 AM »
Oh really?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/05/18/sanctions-hit-oleg-deripaska-quits-boards-en-rusal/

"Mr Deripaska had agreed to cede control of EN+ to help the company escape sanctions imposed by Donald Trump's administration that severely limit its ability to do business."

Do you guys even read financial news?

Cardboard

It says he can keep just under 50% stake and can't be chairman. Then Rusal can continue as usual. That's why I said watered down. I wasn't aware he actually stepped down, so that's news to me.

I do enjoy the TDS thread OP going full Dale Gribble. I deleted my posts that singled out cobafdek and msg'd them privately instead. I told them as much. That is the origin of their theory.

Viking

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #183 on: May 29, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »
This is very short term thinking.

RB, yes, I agree. My read is what Trump is doing could boost US growth later in 2018 and in 2019 (over what it would have been without lower taxes or deregulation). After that, my crystal ball is too murky to have an opinion. From an investing standpoint this is leading me to be a little more aggressive (fully invested). However, if it appears instead that the US economy is headed for a recession I will get more cautious.

cobafdek

« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2018, 10:22:18 AM »
This is why I keep reminding you to take your daily dose of thorazine!

Thorazine!?  You're way behind in psychopharmacology class!  Keep up!:

https://www.amazon.com/Change-Your-Mind-Consciousness-Transcendence/dp/1594204225/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527614275&sr=8-1&keywords=michael+pollan

(I'm sure you the gourmand are familiar with this author.)

LC

« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2018, 11:51:22 AM »
Sounds like we could have a riveting discussion about chemtrails at a Michael Pollan book signing. Bring your own lithium.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | cash

cobafdek

« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2018, 07:45:26 AM »

Spekulatius

« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2018, 09:31:22 AM »
OT? Does any one know how Trump gets his pink reverse Panda look ? Is he using a tanning bed with eyecovers? He looks funnier and funnier his white area around his eye and his reddish pink skin. Or maybe itís a spray on tan and the white area around his eyes is protected by a cover?

Inquiring minds want to know...
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2018, 10:17:44 AM »
OT? Does any one know how Trump gets his pink reverse Panda look ? Is he using a tanning bed with eyecovers? He looks funnier and funnier his white area around his eye and his reddish pink skin. Or maybe itís a spray on tan and the white area around his eyes is protected by a cover?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Looks like spray tan to me, but I don't really know.  He has to know that his hair and skin both look ridiculous, so he must do it on purpose.  Everything about this guy is unpresidential and hilarious.

doughishere