Author Topic: Trump Derangement Syndrome  (Read 48160 times)

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
Re: Trump Derangement Syndrome
« Reply #400 on: September 12, 2018, 05:14:31 AM »
I donít recall ever hearing of someone shooting themselves because they didnít like Obama. Or any other president for that matter.  If you canít see that there is something different and extreme going on, it is because you are not allowing yourself to see it.

Las Vegas professor shot himself in arm to protest Trump
https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/shootings/report-las-vegas-professor-shot-himself-in-arm-to-protest-trump/

Cigarbutt

« Reply #401 on: September 12, 2018, 05:44:35 PM »
I've been watching the Kavanaugh confirmation hearing and it was absolutely fascinating.  I was not aware up until now just how corrupt the political and judiciary systems are and have been for a long time now.
meiroy,
I've learned to respect your posts.
I wonder if you could elaborate here and explain what you mean by a long time.

An argument can be made that we may be going through an unusual juncture and somehow, through trial and error, trying to come the other side and this environment gives rise to an unusual amount of tension and derangement. My humble read of history is that, when these episodes happen, segments of the population can be nostalgic and may want to go back in time and reconnect with the previous "order" when, in fact, we are building a renewed sense of purpose.

As you may know, judicial selection and confirmation procedures vary in different countries and there is no perfect system. The US version, specifically, has the potential to look like a circus.

However, for this specific topic, even if some aspects have changed, I would offer the opinion that the more it changes, the more it's the same.
https://ilr.law.uiowa.edu/assets/Uploads/ILR-100-2-GerhardtStein.pdf

If pressed for time, the conclusion of this work dealing with lower courts and the longing for a Golden Era can be found on page 65, and the following quote gets the gist of it:

"The nature of the considerations influencing judicial selection have changed because the issues, technology, the courtsí dockets, the prestige of serving in the federal judiciary, and the times themselves have changed. But, to no surprise, when all is said and done, politics or political considerations have played a significant role in a process that the Constitution explicitly placed under the control of the nationís political leaders. Politics, in other words, has always, in one form or another, influenced the selection of lower court judges in this country."

GDP per capita has been multiplied by +/- 25 to 30 since then.
Hope that makes you feel better.

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #402 on: September 12, 2018, 06:20:41 PM »
I've been watching the Kavanaugh confirmation hearing and it was absolutely fascinating.  I was not aware up until now just how corrupt the political and judiciary systems are and have been for a long time now.
meiroy,
I've learned to respect your posts.
I wonder if you could elaborate here and explain what you mean by a long time.

An argument can be made that we may be going through an unusual juncture and somehow, through trial and error, trying to come the other side and this environment gives rise to an unusual amount of tension and derangement. My humble read of history is that, when these episodes happen, segments of the population can be nostalgic and may want to go back in time and reconnect with the previous "order" when, in fact, we are building a renewed sense of purpose.

As you may know, judicial selection and confirmation procedures vary in different countries and there is no perfect system. The US version, specifically, has the potential to look like a circus.

However, for this specific topic, even if some aspects have changed, I would offer the opinion that the more it changes, the more it's the same.
https://ilr.law.uiowa.edu/assets/Uploads/ILR-100-2-GerhardtStein.pdf

If pressed for time, the conclusion of this work dealing with lower courts and the longing for a Golden Era can be found on page 65, and the following quote gets the gist of it:

"The nature of the considerations influencing judicial selection have changed because the issues, technology, the courtsí dockets, the prestige of serving in the federal judiciary, and the times themselves have changed. But, to no surprise, when all is said and done, politics or political considerations have played a significant role in a process that the Constitution explicitly placed under the control of the nationís political leaders. Politics, in other words, has always, in one form or another, influenced the selection of lower court judges in this country."

GDP per capita has been multiplied by +/- 25 to 30 since then.
Hope that makes you feel better.

OK, you writing that makes me question your judgement.  Talking out of my butt is a hobby. (I'm going to be on the next season of America's Got Talent).

"Politics, in other words, has always, in one form or another, influenced the selection of lower court judges in this country".

Absolutely.  And politicians are simply agents, there mostly for themselves. This is why it's so important to get the infrastructure, the constitution, correctly from the beginning. In the past few decades, the system has been corrupted even more thanks to the development of behavioral science and manipulation via the media.  It is now scientifically known how to manipulate people, something that was previously left to charismatic people. Trump might have a Borderline Personality Disorder so we should not expect much from him, but what about all the agents surrounding him?

Anyhow, thank you for your detailed reply and your link.  I'm feeling fine. I'm white and got money so I can buy my justice and private health care. (this is not aimed at you, that's how it is).

Anyhow #2 past week there seems to be some change going around.  Trump is going to face some tougher hurdles and that might change his circle of agents. We'll see.

cubsfan

« Reply #403 on: September 15, 2018, 07:21:01 AM »
For those of you that truly have an open and objective mind on economic issues - you may find this short clip insightful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL-XB7rw4OM

We all talk about TDS - but I hope we are all really trying to get to the truth about what is best for this country.

The media is such a powerful force in distorting what is really happening, that it is not surprising some people have their minds made up.

Cigarbutt

« Reply #404 on: September 15, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »
For those of you that truly have an open and objective mind on economic issues - you may find this short clip insightful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL-XB7rw4OM

We all talk about TDS - but I hope we are all really trying to get to the truth about what is best for this country.

The media is such a powerful force in distorting what is really happening, that it is not surprising some people have their minds made up.

That was short and helpful.
Despite the info presented, would say that the jury is still out and IMO Mr. Hassett doesn't appear free of bias.

If you look at longer-term trend lines (FRED data), the breaks in the trends become MUCH less apparent and convincing.
Also, there may be a host of factors in play.
https://www.npr.org/2018/09/12/646708799/fact-check-who-gets-credit-for-the-booming-u-s-economy

In terms of sentiment however, there seems to be a significant and independent effect but I think it remains to be seen if this change will trickle down to higher real wages for the forgotten worker which is basically the premise underlying the thesis.

Another trend that is changing and which can be associated with the new administration is the higher growth of government debt, which, when put in ratios versus the items that Mr. Hassett describes, in a way negates the positive aspects shown. Many refer to the Reagan years when discussing trickle down economics but, in 1980, the public debt over GDP was 31%. Now it's 105%.

I would say there is less room to grow.

cobafdek

Spekulatius

« Reply #406 on: September 15, 2018, 04:49:16 PM »
I donít recall ever hearing of someone shooting themselves because they didnít like Obama. Or any other president for that matter.  If you canít see that there is something different and extreme going on, it is because you are not allowing yourself to see it.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/shootings/report-las-vegas-professor-shot-himself-in-arm-to-protest-trump/

Maybe. But I think there are so many deranged people in the US (or elsewhere for that matter) and a lot of them have guns, that it is not surprising that this occurs.I think this one just got into the news, because it is associated with Trump.

We are lucky if they just try to kill themselves and not somebody else.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #407 on: September 15, 2018, 06:46:58 PM »

Maybe. But I think there are so many deranged people in the US (or elsewhere for that matter) and a lot of them have guns, that it is not surprising that this occurs.I think this one just got into the news, because it is associated with Trump.

Certainly tens of thousands shoot them selves every year in the US, but not usually to make a political statement.

Spekulatius

« Reply #408 on: September 16, 2018, 07:29:46 PM »
I don’t recall ever hearing of someone shooting themselves because they didn’t like Obama. Or any other president for that matter.  If you can’t see that there is something different and extreme going on, it is because you are not allowing yourself to see it.

Certainly tens of thousands shoot them selves every year in the US, but not usually to make a political statement.

While this is correct, I believe it’s just a way to get more attention and apparently it is working.
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.

Otsog

« Reply #409 on: September 18, 2018, 04:07:48 PM »

No shooting, but this person carved the letter B in her face and claimed it was a big scary black Obama supporter.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1080189/Young-Republican-claimed-Obama-supporter-carved-letter-B-face-robbery-story-police-say.html
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.