Author Topic: Trump Derangement Syndrome  (Read 64920 times)

Otsog

Re: Trump Derangement Syndrome
« Reply #400 on: September 18, 2018, 04:07:48 PM »
I don’t recall ever hearing of someone shooting themselves because they didn’t like Obama. Or any other president for that matter.  If you can’t see that there is something different and extreme going on, it is because you are not allowing yourself to see it.

Las Vegas professor shot himself in arm to protest Trump
https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/shootings/report-las-vegas-professor-shot-himself-in-arm-to-protest-trump/

No shooting, but this person carved the letter B in her face and claimed it was a big scary black Obama supporter.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1080189/Young-Republican-claimed-Obama-supporter-carved-letter-B-face-robbery-story-police-say.html
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Gregmal

« Reply #401 on: September 25, 2018, 09:47:11 AM »
Watch out TDS is spreading faster than the Spanish Influenza. What did he think this was one of his Pep rallies? lol.

Trump says to UNGA, "In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country." There's a little laughter. Trump says "so true" and there's even more laughter. (via Fox)
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1044598845278162944

I don't get it Dougie. What's the news? Or headline? That people laughed???

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #402 on: September 25, 2018, 09:59:10 AM »
Watch out TDS is spreading faster than the Spanish Influenza. What did he think this was one of his Pep rallies? lol.

Trump says to UNGA, "In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country." There's a little laughter. Trump says "so true" and there's even more laughter. (via Fox)
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1044598845278162944

I don't get it Dougie. What's the news? Or headline? That people laughed???

Trump says ridiculous things everyday and people laugh at him everyday (I know I do).  He said something recently about the hurricane being wet from a water point of view.  Everything that comes out of his mouth is funny, but that isn't TDS.

cobafdek

« Reply #403 on: September 28, 2018, 08:45:22 PM »
Imagine making some valid points in an argument, and then expecting a rational opponent to reply with some actual reasonable counterarguments.  But then all you get is over-the-top snark and sarcasm (which are signs of . . . wait for it . . . wait for it . . . you guessed it:  cognitive dissonance!): 

Getting a little selective there, eh? But I agree- why let a little thing like humanism stop us. Let's set fire to that pesky bill of rights and let the states decide. I'd really like to start up a little plantation of my own once I gerrymander the fvck out of my state.

If you had a rational counterargument, why did you not provide one?  Try again!  You're better than this!

LC

« Reply #404 on: September 28, 2018, 09:45:05 PM »
Let's also make it clear that calling something democracy or a democratic republic does not make it so (I'm looking at you, Algeria).

One could argue, with pretty obvious evidence if you flick on the boob tube, that the person representing us is a representation of the average intelligence of the 50 states. The distinction here is we are not talking about average intelligence of the population of citizens, but rather a weighted average of the states themselves. It's an important distinction to make because it is a major shortfall of the republic construct of governance. That is, when the majority of educated citizens are centralized, the average decision making in a republic will fall drastically.

Which of course begs the question, what would cause such centralization?
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | irm | mo | nlsn | pm | tap | v | vz | wm

MarkS

« Reply #405 on: September 29, 2018, 03:44:35 AM »
LC

So now we're deplorable and stupid.  Dude - if you've ever wondered why the right refers to elitism, read your own post. 

cubsfan

« Reply #406 on: September 29, 2018, 05:35:33 AM »

One could argue, with pretty obvious evidence if you flick on the boob tube, that the person representing us is a representation of the average intelligence of the 50 states. The distinction here is we are not talking about average intelligence of the population of citizens, but rather a weighted average of the states themselves. It's an important distinction to make because it is a major shortfall of the republic construct of governance. That is, when the majority of educated citizens are centralized, the average decision making in a republic will fall drastically.

This is beautiful!  Spoke like a true elitist!   We should make you King!

Cigarbutt

« Reply #407 on: September 29, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »

Which of course begs the question, what would cause such centralization?

Slippery slope here IMHO.

When reading the Federalist papers and what inspired them, it appears that the structure of government that was suggested did not predict the prodigious progress that would occur after and the inevitable currents that would manifest: relative centralisation of federal power (presidential and bureaucratic) and the bi-party partisanship. Imperfect project, tolerating different classes of citizens with the idea of possible more inclusive amendments (progress). I would say that, these days, the people is looking for answers and, given a relatively adequate flow of objective info (to which you can contribute), the ordinary citizen ("educated" or not) should be able to take the right decision.

If one is unhappy with a political result, fair to question the underlying process.

Also OK to critique the actual consequences of a political result.

A more constructive solution may involve crafting a better alternative.

Polarizing arguments may have (un)intended consequences.

cobafdek

« Reply #408 on: October 02, 2018, 08:26:25 PM »
Even if he does some good, then it still never warrants the risk of having a totally amoral person run this country. People said the same thing about Hitler by the way - he’d did some good (and many bad things) up to about 1938 (includes  successes with foreign politics) but people looked the other way, until they couldn’t. I would never vote for an amoral politician even if he/she might do some good. The tail risk (in investment terminalolgy) is just too large.

I don't think you really believe this BS. 

Here's a test to see whether the above was just your limbic system firing autonomously, or whether it came from your cerebral cortex:

Are you currently participating in, financially supporting, or otherwise advocating an assassination plot against the President, in order to prevent further atrocities?

Spekulatius

« Reply #409 on: October 03, 2018, 04:34:51 AM »
Even if he does some good, then it still never warrants the risk of having a totally amoral person run this country. People said the same thing about Hitler by the way - he’d did some good (and many bad things) up to about 1938 (includes  successes with foreign politics) but people looked the other way, until they couldn’t. I would never vote for an amoral politician even if he/she might do some good. The tail risk (in investment terminalolgy) is just too large.

I don't think you really believe this BS. 

Here's a test to see whether the above was just your limbic system firing autonomously, or whether it came from your cerebral cortex:

Are you currently participating in, financially supporting, or otherwise advocating an assassination plot against the President, in order to prevent further atrocities?

Hu? Assasinating? Because I said I would never vote or support  an amoral President, even if he does „some good“ and ignore the bad?
To be a realist, one has to believe in miracles.