Author Topic: Trump just destroyed Republican party  (Read 7676 times)

investor-man

Re: Trump just destroyed Republican party
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2018, 06:32:24 AM »
Does anyone invest any more?

Wrong board!  This is where we vent about politics to keep it off the investing boards.  Cheers!

I remember asking you to create this section for exactly this purpose. I did not expect that I'd reflect on investing so much while reading through it. I The mind gymnastics in this thread are incredible...
Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #3 "Never spend more for an acquisition than you have to."

Gregmal

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2018, 10:45:51 AM »
https://nypost.com/2018/11/07/jim-acosta-violated-one-of-the-oldest-rules-of-journalism/

"There was a time not long ago when young journalists were taught not to become the story. Apparently, many news organizations have flipped that lesson on its head.

But we are witnessing something more insidious here than media trash talk. Plain and simple, we are watching expressions of personal hatred.

Yes, itís true that most journalists lean far left and their bias sticks out like so many sore thumbs. Thatís been true for a long time, but political bias is an insufficient explanation for the Jim Acostas of our time.

They hate Trump. They really, really hate him. Thereís nothing professional about it.

They are not alone. Take a poll of almost any major newsroom in America and the vast majority of those working there, if they are being honest, will confess that they too canít stand the existence or the sound of Trump.

Or try to imagine Acosta and his ilk behaving in similarly hostile fashion toward Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton. Keep trying, but you canít imagine it because it never happened. Both of those pols lied to journalists repeatedly, yet you can bet 90 percent still voted straight Democratic.
"

LC

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2018, 11:40:44 AM »
The First Amendment protects the pressís right to report the news and the publicís right to receive that news. The government cannot punish or threaten the press or individuals based on the content of what is reported.

There is actually a lawsuit pending alleging that Trump is violating the First Amendment of members of the press by using the powers of his office to curtail criticism. As I reported last month, ďPENís lawsuit is not brought on behalf of those whom Trump threatened (e.g., The Post, Time Warner). Instead, it alleges: ĎDefendantís use of the power and machinery of government to punish his media critics creates an atmosphere in which journalists must work under the threat of government retaliation. This environment, underscored by Defendant Trumpís campaign of intimidation against critical reporting, casts a chill on speech that ó even if braved and overcome by diligent and courageous reporters ó constitutes an ongoing First Amendment violation.'Ē

"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | cash

michaelj

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2018, 11:43:16 AM »
https://nypost.com/2018/11/07/jim-acosta-violated-one-of-the-oldest-rules-of-journalism/

"There was a time not long ago when young journalists were taught not to become the story. Apparently, many news organizations have flipped that lesson on its head.

But we are witnessing something more insidious here than media trash talk. Plain and simple, we are watching expressions of personal hatred.

Yes, itís true that most journalists lean far left and their bias sticks out like so many sore thumbs. Thatís been true for a long time, but political bias is an insufficient explanation for the Jim Acostas of our time.

They hate Trump. They really, really hate him. Thereís nothing professional about it.

They are not alone. Take a poll of almost any major newsroom in America and the vast majority of those working there, if they are being honest, will confess that they too canít stand the existence or the sound of Trump.

Or try to imagine Acosta and his ilk behaving in similarly hostile fashion toward Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton. Keep trying, but you canít imagine it because it never happened. Both of those pols lied to journalists repeatedly, yet you can bet 90 percent still voted straight Democratic.
"

While I certainly don't think journalists have an obligation to be "nice" to the President,  I did find Acosta's approach here distasteful.  What I found even more distasteful however, was the WH doctoring a video to fit a narrative (a section was sped up to make it look like Acosta's arm was moving in a rapid "chopping" motion), and then citing that action as partial reason to pull a press pass.  I'm curious to hear if there are folks who will defend the doctoring of a video by the WH?

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »

"

While I certainly don't think journalists have an obligation to be "nice" to the President,  I did find Acosta's approach here distasteful.  What I found even more distasteful however, was the WH doctoring a video to fit a narrative (a section was sped up to make it look like Acosta's arm was moving in a rapid "chopping" motion), and then citing that action as partial reason to pull a press pass.  I'm curious to hear if there are folks who will defend the doctoring of a video by the WH?

They are trying to fight fake news with fake news.  Ha, all sides are just awful and yet nobody can see past their own biases.

LC

« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2018, 11:56:13 AM »
I mean, take a look how Obama handled hecklers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRODiLHKhu4

So much more professional. "This is part of free speech is you being able to speak, and you listening, and me being able to speak"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | cash

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2018, 01:57:44 PM »
LMAO!

"with a heckler"

ONE!!!

And we don't see Secret Services likely kicking him out of there...

Obama would never accept Fox News interviews. Never! It was only on a handful of occasions where he gave a full interview before a Super Bowl or something like that with O'Reilly.

In this room yesterday there was likely 15 or more hecklers. If Obama had to face such opposition he would have walked out or never attended in the first place.

There was to their defense multiple journalists who were polite and asked their questions even if they mostly contained Liberal biases.

Cardboard

LC

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2018, 01:59:22 PM »
Obama would never accept Fox News interviews. Never! It was only on a handful of occasions where he gave a full interview before a Super Bowl or something like that with O'Reilly.

Here's another one with fox news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URJUSlfTgGU

Again, actually managing the situation with class and professionalism befitting the office.

Here's another one for ya buddy with about 5-10 examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqhyzvBQM4

And it's funny because Obama's hecklers are at rallys and speeches. Trump, of course, has to manufacture his own rallys to silence the dissenting voice.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:05:16 PM by LC »
brk.b | cash

Gregmal

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2018, 02:03:02 PM »
The same clowns that convict Republican men of phantom assaults, when zero evidence is present, now defend scumbag Jim Acosta when there is indisputable(even without the "alleged" alteration, he clearly overpowers her, but hey, ignore that) video evidence of him touching someone who is just trying to do her job! Classic.

michaelj

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2018, 02:47:53 PM »
The same clowns that convict Republican men of phantom assaults, when zero evidence is present, now defend scumbag Jim Acosta when there is indisputable(even without the "alleged" alteration, he clearly overpowers her, but hey, ignore that) video evidence of him touching someone who is just trying to do her job! Classic.

I would point out that even Ben Shapiro (!) felt it necessary to call out the WH for this action.
 https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1060345582756147201