Author Topic: Twitter Is Making Us Aggressively Dumb  (Read 497 times)

Nomad

Twitter Is Making Us Aggressively Dumb
« on: January 12, 2019, 11:29:58 AM »
God do I loathe this platform and all of the fake controversies that it generates on a seemingly hourly basis.

Yesterday, I was searching for ways to reduce my book collection since I'm on a decluttering kick as a 2019 New Year's resolution. Almost immediately, I stumbled across an article that pointed out that Japanese tidying guru Marie Kondo has become the latest target of online vitriol for her suggestion that you should get rid of books that you don't plan to read. Now, granted, Marie Kondo has her cultural peculiarities, but she seems to me like a kind, genuine person that truly wants to help people live better lives by cutting away the crap and getting down to basics. I find her advice on clearing out old clothes, papers, and miscellany to be generally high-quality and eminently sensible.

But I guess I'm in the minority. Apparently, the howling mobs took offense at the idea that you should get rid of junk that you don't use:

Wait Marie Kondo is telling people to toss their books? THEIR BOOKS?

Yes, jackass. "THEIR BOOKS" - that they have probably never read and never will because they are too busy posting their idiotic hot takes to Twitter.

Has this platform done anything beneficial for humanity? It seems to me like all it has done is give the equivalent of a megaphone to the loudest, dumbest cohort of our society. This is not a left or right thing (Trump has sent out some really dumb tweets, to say nothing of the Democrats), but an "us" thing. I can only hope that more people begin to vote with their feet and climb out of the cesspool that is Twitter. Stop paying attention to it, and the ad revenue dries up and the company goes into the dustbin like Sears.

But that seems easier said than done, as this post shows - even a non-user like me can't seem to avoid Twitter fights now...

DTEJD1997

Re: Twitter Is Making Us Aggressively Dumb
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 11:35:56 AM »
Perhaps Twitter instead of making people more stupider, simply acts to magnify a person's already existing traits?

Texting can also be a TREMENDOUSLY effective tool for communicating very short messages and ideas...taken too far it most definitely makes somebody more stupider!

Heck, social media (Facebook, Linkedin) even has some good features, but can easily morph into something bad.  I personally no longer use Facebook, and am starting to tremendosuly scale back on Linkedin.

I have seen many people who are simply ADDICTED to this.  This is especially prevalent in young women.

longtermdave

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 09:23:47 AM »
Your post is far too reasonable and fails to take a partisan tone. You should be permanently banished from the Politics section. Please take your entirely sensible tripe to the General section.

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 05:34:40 PM »
Twitter is a grand stage for Trump.

tengen

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:27:01 AM »
Twitter is a firehose x 1000 of information, 99% of which is garbage. However, if you are careful about who you follow and don't read replies, you can avoid most of the crap. God help you, however, if you post something that gets noticed by the mob.

Twitter is a grand stage for Trump.

Twump.