Author Topic: What the heck is going on at universities??  (Read 8118 times)

rukawa

Re: What the heck is going on at universities??
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2017, 04:08:41 PM »
Just read this which is tangentially related:
https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/mar/07/warren-buffett-climate-change-insurance-policy-berkshire-hathaway-shareholder-letter

I am really really shocked that this guy is a professor at Michigan.

As the rate of global warming increases, so will the rate of climate change-related disasters – and presumably the rate of insurance payouts. It’s a lot easier to make money off of declining risks – as in the case of auto accidents – than increasing risks, as in the case of climate change.

Advertisement

Of course, Buffett argues that insurance prices can be adjusted upwards each year to take account of new climate information that emerges. But if climate change is accelerating, even a yearly “true-up” in insurance rates will not be enough to protect insurance company profit margins. Current rates will always lag behind accelerating growth in damages and claims. The annual adjustment will merely slow down the widening gap between them. Airlines illustrate just how hard it can be to keep rates rising in step with fluctuations in jet fuel prices.

Its seems that if your a leftist professor parroting leftist ideas you can essentially say whatever bullshit you want. How the fuck is it even possible to be this stupid. AND THIS IS A FREAKING PROFESSOR. This is all he does everyday. I mean WTF?!

doc75

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2017, 09:26:26 PM »
I am really really shocked that this guy is a professor at Michigan.

Its seems that if your a leftist professor parroting leftist ideas you can essentially say whatever bullshit you want. How the fuck is it even possible to be this stupid. AND THIS IS A FREAKING PROFESSOR. This is all he does everyday. I mean WTF?!

The sitting president of the U.S. has serious credibility issues and offers Twitter-proof of his ignorance on a regular basis.  But you're shocked that a guy with outstanding academic credentials is a professor at Michigan?  And you're ready to  declare him too-stupid-to-be-human based on a naive lay article he wrote for the Guardian?

Don't get me wrong.  I don't know the guy.    From his CV I'd guess that he's the kind of academic player that I loathe. Too many of his papers have colons in their titles for my liking. (Titular Colons: Indicators of Bullshit or Innocuous Dots?)  But your visceral knee-jerk reaction really puzzles me. 

And what leftist idea is this (presumably) leftist professor parroting?   Climate change?   

rukawa

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2017, 11:00:08 AM »
The sitting president of the U.S. has serious credibility issues and offers Twitter-proof of his ignorance on a regular basis.  But you're shocked that a guy with outstanding academic credentials is a professor at Michigan?  And you're ready to  declare him too-stupid-to-be-human based on a naive lay article he wrote for the Guardian?

Don't get me wrong.  I don't know the guy.    From his CV I'd guess that he's the kind of academic player that I loathe. Too many of his papers have colons in their titles for my liking. (Titular Colons: Indicators of Bullshit or Innocuous Dots?)  But your visceral knee-jerk reaction really puzzles me. 

And what leftist idea is this (presumably) leftist professor parroting?   Climate change?

The leftist idea is that climate change is very bad thing that can only have bad consequences. This is the only way you end up concluding that something which is obviously good for the insurance industry is actually bad for them. The left is attempting to use climate change advocacy to advocate for large changes in the way corporations operate. Hence this guy's critique of Warren Buffet for not realizing the dangers of climate change.

And yes I'm shocked. The president gets elected by a popularity contest. I have no surprise at getting someone like Trump. The same as I'm not shocked that Venezuela once elected Hugo Chavez. Or Iranians voted for Islamic theocracy.

OTOH, Professors are educated at universities which are highly selective. Its not like everyone gets into Stanford. Or gets a PhD there. Or becomes a professor. The whole process is gruelling and difficult. I know brilliant people who never got professorships. So yes it surprises me that this guy did in the same way I would be surprised if a 50 year old fat slob was running the 100 meter in the Olympics.

Gregmal

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2017, 05:35:51 PM »
https://nypost.com/2017/12/05/wisconsin-closer-to-drug-testing-adults-applying-for-food-stamps/

This is what's going on in the universities, the cities, and the country. Somehow there are folks who think it is unconstitutional to require that people receiving handouts not be dopeheads. How anyone is opposed to this is mind boggling. Critics say it's an unreasonable search? I consider my taxes going to druggies an unreasonable seizures of assets. 

rukawa

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2017, 06:57:23 PM »
I was reading about the professor Eric Clanton who is being charged with assualt because he his several pro-Trump protesters with a bicycle lock. What i find interesting is his biography:

BIOGRAPHY: Eric received an MA in philosophy from San Francisco State University. There he studied environmental ethics and virtue theory. His studies there concerning philosophies of punishment and prison industrial complex were particularly radicalizing. Since graduating he has been teaching part-time at an energetic and diverse community college (Diablo Valley College). He also volunteers with the Prison University Project at San Quentin teaching writing and critical analysis. Eric is an anarchist trying to escalate his commitment to total revolution through writing, teaching, analysis, and other creative forms of action.

How exactly is this not political advocacy. Its not even masquerading. Its out and out political far left political advocacy. Why should we support universities if they have become radical left-wing indoctrination centers.

Lets see how long it take me to find left-wing political advocacy at U of T...2 minutes
http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/sje/People/Faculty/674/John_Portelli.html

York? 1 minute:
http://people.laps.yorku.ca/people.nsf/facultydirectory?readForm&unit=sosc

Waterloo? 1 minute:
https://uwaterloo.ca/stories/risky-business-investigating-power-and-privilege-classroom

Ok....now lets make this harder because its just too freaking easy. Rotman business school. Surely one cannot find left-wing advocacy at a freaking business school. WRONG:
http://www-2.rotman.utoronto.ca/facbios/file/RiveraTilcsik.pdf
http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/-/media/Files/Programs-and-Areas/GenderEconomy/GenderEconomy-Partnerships.pdf?la=en

Here is my exercise of the day:
Find a left-wing accounting professor who advocates for some form of left-wing accounting at a Canadian University. This should be a hard one.

doc75

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2017, 07:54:34 PM »
The leftist idea is that climate change is very bad thing that can only have bad consequences. This is the only way you end up concluding that something which is obviously good for the insurance industry is actually bad for them. The left is attempting to use climate change advocacy to advocate for large changes in the way corporations operate. Hence this guy's critique of Warren Buffet for not realizing the dangers of climate change.

And yes I'm shocked. The president gets elected by a popularity contest. I have no surprise at getting someone like Trump. The same as I'm not shocked that Venezuela once elected Hugo Chavez. Or Iranians voted for Islamic theocracy.

OTOH, Professors are educated at universities which are highly selective. Its not like everyone gets into Stanford. Or gets a PhD there. Or becomes a professor. The whole process is gruelling and difficult. I know brilliant people who never got professorships. So yes it surprises me that this guy did in the same way I would be surprised if a 50 year old fat slob was running the 100 meter in the Olympics.

I can't tell whether you're trying to be semantically careful in your description of what is leftist.  It's certainly not a leftist idea that climate change could be a very bad thing, with potentially dire consequences.  By extension, it's a perfectly rational (not leftist) idea to proceed with caution and make changes wherever possible.  Of course the scope of those changes is the sticking point.   I guess it's leftist to say something like "we need to shut down all the factories", in the same sense that it's rightist to say "we need to shut down immigration".  I personally feel those opinions are just ignorant rather than leftist / rightist.

My point about the prof getting hired is that his qualifications are impeccable.  Of course he got hired.  And promoted. And distinguished -- by many institutions, both academic and corporate.  You've decided he's too stupid to breathe based on a short article in the Guardian, ignoring all other evidence to the contrary.  I guess I just find your level of conviction to be very strange. For instance, there's the remote possibility that you're wrong and the guy is actually able to tie his shoes.

This comes back to big issues like climate change, too.  I'm often surprised how much confidence people have in their views, based on what I consider to be limited evidence.  My father-in-law  doesn't even know how thunder works and yet he's perfectly happy to pass judgement on the science of climate change. 

I suppose it's not surprising to find a lot of (over)confidence and strong opinions on COBF, given that the very nature of value investing is to be contrarian.

doc75

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2017, 08:55:42 PM »
I was reading about the professor Eric Clanton who is being charged with assualt because he his several pro-Trump protesters with a bicycle lock. What i find interesting is his biography:

BIOGRAPHY: Eric received an MA in philosophy from San Francisco State University. There he studied environmental ethics and virtue theory. His studies there concerning philosophies of punishment and prison industrial complex were particularly radicalizing. Since graduating he has been teaching part-time at an energetic and diverse community college (Diablo Valley College). He also volunteers with the Prison University Project at San Quentin teaching writing and critical analysis. Eric is an anarchist trying to escalate his commitment to total revolution through writing, teaching, analysis, and other creative forms of action.

How exactly is this not political advocacy. Its not even masquerading. Its out and out political far left political advocacy. Why should we support universities if they have become radical left-wing indoctrination centers.

Lets see how long it take me to find left-wing political advocacy at U of T...2 minutes
http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/sje/People/Faculty/674/John_Portelli.html

York? 1 minute:
http://people.laps.yorku.ca/people.nsf/facultydirectory?readForm&unit=sosc

Waterloo? 1 minute:
https://uwaterloo.ca/stories/risky-business-investigating-power-and-privilege-classroom

Ok....now lets make this harder because its just too freaking easy. Rotman business school. Surely one cannot find left-wing advocacy at a freaking business school. WRONG:
http://www-2.rotman.utoronto.ca/facbios/file/RiveraTilcsik.pdf
http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/-/media/Files/Programs-and-Areas/GenderEconomy/GenderEconomy-Partnerships.pdf?la=en

Here is my exercise of the day:
Find a left-wing accounting professor who advocates for some form of left-wing accounting at a Canadian University. This should be a hard one.

You should ignore drama-queens like Eric Clanton and the like. They're looking for attention (read his bio!!) and will continue to say/do outrageous things until someone notices and feeds their ego.  And this dude isn't exactly a prof at Stanford -- he's a part-time instructor at a community college, and very impressed that he's so "radical".   It's very unlikely his radical ideas have left an indelible imprint on many young minds.

There are people like this of all stripes and of all degrees.  I've seen a few messages here about Jordan Peterson, mostly positive because he aligns more with conservative views.  He's all over YouTube, advocating his heart away, but he is lauded for his effort because he's on "your side".  One poster even  suggested that Peterson wasn't looking for a controversy, or some such thing.  Yes he was.  Yes he is.  He *loves* the camera. 

I don't even understand the beef you have with the U of T guy.  As far as academic nuts go, this guy isn't even on the charts (as far as I can tell).  Did you have a specific problem with something he wrote, or do you just hate the idea that people study things like equity and so on in the classroom?  How did you even find him?  Searching for "social justice professor" or something?

I'm not looking for a fight.  I'm posting because I'm in the academic system, and although I see all sorts of wonky stuff and hear plenty of unicorn-inspired ideas, I think you guys are painting a distorted picture of reality on campus. More importantly, I feel there are bigger issues.  Principally, there are simply too many people going to university these days.   The universities, particularly those at the lower end, have responded to the diluted talent pool by getting pretty creative with academic programs.  I do think it's important to have some intelligent people looking into matters such as equity in education, etc.  But trying to grow enrolment in undergraduate programs like "social justice education" strikes me as disingenuous.  And what's happening in STEM subjects is worrying for different reasons.

rukawa

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2017, 03:43:31 AM »
There are people like this of all stripes and of all degrees.  I've seen a few messages here about Jordan Peterson, mostly positive because he aligns more with conservative views.  He's all over YouTube, advocating his heart away, but he is lauded for his effort because he's on "your side".  One poster even  suggested that Peterson wasn't looking for a controversy, or some such thing.  Yes he was.  Yes he is.  He *loves* the camera. 

I don't even understand the beef you have with the U of T guy.  As far as academic nuts go, this guy isn't even on the charts (as far as I can tell).  Did you have a specific problem with something he wrote, or do you just hate the idea that people study things like equity and so on in the classroom?  How did you even find him?  Searching for "social justice professor" or something?

Here is Jordan Peterson's curriculum vitae and classes. Please point any papers or classes you consider blatant political advocacy:
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jordan_Peterson2/2
https://jordanbpeterson.com/classes/

Jordan Peterson posts youtube videos on his own time. Its not affiliated with any university. I don't have a problem with people advocating for whatever in their own time and space. It should not be something they are teaching or research papers, conferences etc. That is the difference. And its a huge one. I also don't think it should be that easy to find this. The University should be a place where 90% of people are not political and there are a few people doing political advocacy on their own time...just like any other profession. That is indeed what the university looked like in the 1950's.

Today I was trying to examine the Human Rights Tribunals to see if they are as badly run as those on my side frequently say they are. I examined maybe 20 cases and could not find a single one where I disagreed with a single decision. It was actually really well run. I would challenge you to spend 20 minutes on here:
https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onhrt/ and find a single badly decided case. ITS REALLY FREAKIN DIFFICULT.

Contrast that with universities where its very easy to find bad scholarship and outright political advocacy.

I'm posting because I'm in the academic system, and although I see all sorts of wonky stuff and hear plenty of unicorn-inspired ideas, I think you guys are painting a distorted picture of reality on campus.

You haven't explained why. My point is that a large part of universities function as left-wing indoctrination centers and I've provided extremely easy to obtain evidence that is the case on university websites. And I did it in minutes. It should not be this easy.. The only case where I had to use Google was Rotman...all the rest where based on just clicking a couple of departmental links in departments I knew would be indoctrination centers: Education, Social Justice, Women Studies, Criminology, Sociology, Anthropology, Anti-Colonial studies, Middle East Studies. I mean I didn't even search hard...I almost always find something withiout Google. Rotman was the hard one. Take 5 minutes and try it....go to any departmental website that you would expect would have this shit.

I found him by going straight to OISE (U of T's education department) which I knew would have an extremely left-wing agenda. I didn't use Google. My problem with the guy is that he says stuff like opposing a "neoliberal agenda". Which is political advocacy in an academic journal. I don't see any reason why an academic journal should have an article like the following unless as I have stated repeatedly its political advocacy pretending to be scholarship:
"Critical Democracy and Educational Leadership Issues: Philosophical Responses to the Neoliberal Agenda "

The above should be the title of a talk by Naomi Klein...not a research article written by an education professor.

As I said, in the 1950's you would have a very difficult time finding this sort of garbage. You still had left-wing professors who had left-wing type of ideas like for instance Veblen:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorstein_Veblen

But I draw a massive distinction between someone like Veblen who in my view as a serious academic trying to understand the nature of consumption and today's scholarship which is just blatant outright left-wing indoctrination without any real value beyond that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:01:00 AM by rukawa »

Cigarbutt

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2017, 05:37:58 AM »
From a few posts above:
"This is what's going on in the universities, the cities, and the country. Somehow there are folks who think it is unconstitutional to require that people receiving handouts not be dopeheads. How anyone is opposed to this is mind boggling. Critics say it's an unreasonable search? I consider my taxes going to druggies an unreasonable seizures of assets."

Read that comment last night as I was watching a TV report on addiction problems in Manchester county in Kentucky and Beaver county in Pennsylvania and how the "problem" was being addressed. Food stamps candidates. Interesting perspectives: including from the "experts" in universities but also community leaders (and also the addicts themselves and their children too). Solutions don't appear so easy and I understand that the counties are suing pharma companies in order to pay for the medical and rehab care in a way that is not unlike what was done in the cigarette industry and in a context that seems to be promoted by the present administration in order to deal with what is described as a national priority.

What's the point and what's the relevance with this thread?

My understanding is that the SNAP program has a long and tortuous history. There is a lot of data coming out of universities concerning its efficacy and its relevance (or absence thereof). The interesting aspect about the numerous studies is that you can read them and decide to accept or reject the conclusions. It seems that the assumptions underlying some conclusions include that 1-addiction problems are concentrated in SNAP recipients and 2-addiction "causes" dependency. A review of well done university studies don't support these assumptions as stated. Interesting to see that one of the biggest risk factor for drug addiction is to be a white male aged 18 to 24.

What leads to addiction and how to get out of it are not well understood at this point.

There are also many well done university studies showing that drug testing is likely not a cost effective approach whatever political opinion one may have.

As with all phenomena, incentives matter. Perhaps wise to cautiously use a carrot and stick approach.

Opinion: Indiscriminate use of an ideological stick approach may lead to disenchantment that may be eventually funnelled into an undesirable reactionary movement.
Opinion: I continue to have difficulty understanding why there was an opportunity to devise and maintain the SNAP program in the US and wish that it will be phased out eventually. Maybe the solution has something to do with opportunity, mobility and inclusive growth.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:48:19 AM by Cigarbutt »

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2017, 05:54:44 AM »
"You haven't explained why."

Here is my answer: when you get paid by the state, you support an ever larger government to get a larger slice of the pie. And there is also a "system" in place to get you in the gang.

One of my friend is a high school teacher. However, he is quite unique as he does not complain about his salary, size of class, nor advocate for unions, strikes and the like. He does not tell you garbage such as: "This is what you think that our childrens are worth?" If one looks at it with no emotion, Canadian teachers actually earn a very good salary + benefits relative to population and hours worked.

There was a vote recently and he intended to go vote at the union`s meeting. However, unless you attend the 15 to 30 minutes, prior to the real meeting agenda, of what he called: brainwashing, you are not allowed in with the doors locked.

That is democracy in the Leftist world.

Cardboard
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:37:50 AM by Cardboard »