Author Topic: Who would have thought?  (Read 2726 times)

Parsad

• Administrator
Re: Who would have thought?
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 12:42:21 AM »
This reckoning was definitely due, but we all know, a handful of innocent people will be painted with the same brush during all of this.

For example, actor Jeremy Piven, who most people would have expected something like this from due to his personality and character from Entourage.  But Piven has passed lie detector tests in the last couple of days.  Now what happens for him?  His reputation is tainted, yet there is zero proof anything transpired other than someone else's word.

All of this needed to happen, but should have happened through the court system...not court of public opinion!  Cheers!
No man is a failure who has friends!

clutch

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 05:30:02 AM »
One (negative) part of this trend is that some men could now feel afraid to interact with women colleagues in any sort of way at work. They might even minimize communicating with them whatsoever because who knows what they say could constitute as sexually predatory behaviour. This could work against incorporating more women at a particular work place.

p.s. I'm not defending any of these celebrities' behaviors, considering the accused are true.

DTEJD1997

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 05:48:51 AM »
Hey all:

While I have sympathy for the victims of "wrong" sexual behavior....I've got a couple of concerns with the situation:

A). A lot of companies/organizations/people are rushing to cut ties and take actions against people simply based off of the "word" of somebody.  Where is the presumption of innocence?   How do you defend yourself against an a mere accusation?  This is especially true when the wrongdoing is 10,20,30,40 years in the past.

It is a different thing if the accused admits to wrongdoing....(Charlie Rose, Al Franken, Louis CK)

B). If the victims of abuse had come forward at (or close) to the time of the transgression, the world would be a very different place today.  If you sit back and take the abuse and stay silent...the perpetrator can keep up their nefarious activities and other people will be victimized.  If nobody takes a stand against wrongdoing, it is likely to continue.  HECK, it might even get worse, as the perpetrator sees no consequences to their bad behavior and is emboldened to continue.  Evil flourishes when good people stay silent.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 05:54:42 AM »
Hey all:

While I have sympathy for the victims of "wrong" sexual behavior....I've got a couple of concerns with the situation:

A). A lot of companies/organizations/people are rushing to cut ties and take actions against people simply based off of the "word" of somebody.  Where is the presumption of innocence?   How do you defend yourself against an a mere accusation?  This is especially true when the wrongdoing is 10,20,30,40 years in the past.

It is a different thing if the accused admits to wrongdoing....(Charlie Rose, Al Franken, Louis CK)

B). If the victims of abuse had come forward at (or close) to the time of the transgression, the world would be a very different place today.  If you sit back and take the abuse and stay silent...the perpetrator can keep up their nefarious activities and other people will be victimized.  If nobody takes a stand against wrongdoing, it is likely to continue.  HECK, it might even get worse, as the perpetrator sees no consequences to their bad behavior and is emboldened to continue.  Evil flourishes when good people stay silent.

+1.   It's turning into a witch hunt for sure.  Everyone with a grudge or simply looking for attention is going to be pointing fingers now.
I agree it is different if there is some evidence, or the accused admits it, or like Bill Cosby, there are a lot of people all saying the same thing.   That said, some of these people are truly deplorable and have been getting away with this stuff for a long time.  I just hope this doesn't all go way too far.

DTEJD1997

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 06:02:22 AM »
Hey all:

+1.   It's turning into a witch hunt for sure.  Everyone with a grudge or simply looking for attention is going to be pointing fingers now.
I agree it is different if there is some evidence, or the accused admits it, or like Bill Cosby, there are a lot of people all saying the same thing.   That said, some of these people are truly deplorable and have been getting away with this stuff for a long time.  I just hope this doesn't all go way too far.

Or, here is another situation....What if there are 4,5,6,7 accusers who all claim that the activity took place 30+ years ago?  Then, there are no accusers from 1,5,10,15, 20 years ago?

In my experience, MOST maniac perverts (Bill Clinton is good example) have engaged in improper sexual behavior throughout most of their lives.  It is usually a REPEATED pattern of bad behavior over long stretches of time.  They were perverts 30 years ago...then they did stuff 20 years ago...10 years ago...and so on.  Speaking of Bill Clinton, there are rumors that he was up to his old pattern of behavior in the early/mid 2000's.  Please see:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/former-president-bill-clinton-facing-fresh-claims-of-sexual-assault-from-four-women-during-time-working-for-billionaire/ar-BBFpDZe

Of course, Bill Clinton is not the only pervert engaged in this, he is only the most famous.

Gregmal

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 07:05:27 AM »
A couple things there.

1) Idk about everyone else, but wasn't it kind of obvious, like forever, that this is how Hollywood and the like worked? I detest that degenerate culture and have never been a fan of the celebrity obsession so many people have, but I think one is stupid if they didn't know that this is how things worked there. These are typically shallow, materialistic, and pervy people. Of course there is a casting couch, of course pretty girls get jobs over ugly ones. Of course when it s a tie the one willing to get busy with the guy making the decision wins. Should people really pretend to be shocked and outraged now that a few guys get called out? Did people really think it a coincidence every female news anchor was pretty, had big tits, and pearl white teeth? Don't be stupid.

2) Why is it that its still only overweight, old, ugly dudes getting called out? Isn't it odd that the Leo's and Pitt's of the world haven't had any issues? While I in no way condone the abusive behaviour of some of these creeps, I'd gander its possible these women wouldn't have complained if it was a good looking A-lister. They'd probably try milking it. The guys getting caught just happened to be ugly. Unless we are to believe only ugly people do this stuff...

3) Some of the the stuff now considered harassment is crazy. I've read a ton of headlines about "he made a pass at me". Are you kidding? It is as though a man can not approach of a women anymore without risking a huge outcry. There's nothing wrong with flirting, or showing interest in another person. There is something wrong with forcing oneself on something. But there is a huge difference. You aren't a victim because a guy complimented you or asked you out and you were creeped out simply because he wasn't socially graceful or good looking.

4) I always thought it was kind of a no-no, and generally viewed as a low life move to pursue colleagues/people one works with. Somewhere along the line it became ok, but the simplest solution to all of this would just be for the companies to start enforcing a no relationship rule. Encourage accountability from colleagues to enforce this. Then it's fairly simple. So and so is aggressively pursuing another so and so? Can them. Problem solved. Then again, no one in Hollywood/Entertainment would get married considering almost every actor/actress I've ever quickly Wikipedia'd had the same tag line about their spouse, "met on the set of ..., met while filming ...". But given the statistics, it is probably better these people don't get married in the first place.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 07:42:27 AM »

Parsad

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 09:12:44 AM »
Well think about this stuff a bit. 

I remember when I was in university, and at a couple of parties during those years, I remember two times where a young woman grabbed my junk...once at a university party and once at a night club.  As a horny, young man, I didn't view it as harassment, but if I had done something similar (especially today), you would be in big trouble. 

As a 48-year old, heavy, bald man, sadly those days never happen anymore to me...but maybe that is a good thing considering what could happen in a he said/she said world.  Also, it may be it's because the parties I attend now are galas and not keggers!   ;D  Cheers!
No man is a failure who has friends!

Gregmal

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 10:07:10 AM »
Well think about this stuff a bit. 

I remember when I was in university, and at a couple of parties during those years, I remember two times where a young woman grabbed my junk...once at a university party and once at a night club.  As a horny, young man, I didn't view it as harassment, but if I had done something similar (especially today), you would be in big trouble. 

As a 48-year old, heavy, bald man, sadly those days never happen anymore to me...but maybe that is a good thing considering what could happen in a he said/she said world.  Also, it may be it's because the parties I attend now are galas and not keggers!   ;D  Cheers!

I remember watching one of those classic 90's early/2000's movies a few months ago with Sean Williams Scott(Stifler). I believe it was Road Trip but may be mistaking it with any of his usual movies. There was a line in there where he is trying to convince his buddy to forget about pursuing his old high school girlfriend. The line was something about "hey man, forget about her. Besides, this is your last chance to be taking advantage of horny, drunk coeds". I'd seen the movie a million times, and a ton like it. That line never stood out to me as crazy or inappropriate, that was generally how shit was/is in high school/college and then the real world(just on a much more discreet level once you exit university). Superbad, a classic, Jonah Hill says "we lost the booz, how am I ever going to get her drunk enough to hook up with me? You know how girls are always saying "I can't believe I hooked up with that guy when I was drunk. WE CAN BE THAT MISTAKE"". Another line I've laughed at before. Seeing these movies now and hearing some of this stuff awes me at how different things have become, on so many different levels. If those lines were dropped in movies today, the movies and studios producing them would probably all get boycotted. Society has become way too sensitive. Its horrible.

cobafdek

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 01:20:14 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoLHn577xIE

This analysis was posted a year ago tomorrow.  Fascinating stuff, even if body language interpretation is subjective and more art than science.  In light of recent news regarding improper sexual behavior among congressmen, Joe Biden and many others are at a fair risk for next being named.  It's not too hard to surmise how simple maneuvers can either (1) be misinterpreted subjectively by the women, or (2) lead the men to think they can cross the line and do more.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:24:18 PM by cobafdek »