Author Topic: Who would have thought?  (Read 2736 times)

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
Who would have thought?
« on: November 21, 2017, 01:16:33 PM »

globalfinancepartners

• Lifetime Member
Re: Who would have thought?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 01:29:01 PM »
It was widely known that he was a hornball. John Oliver even did a hilarious compilation of creepy Charlie Rose on-air sexual innuendo/flirting in an episode of Last Week Tonight this year. His morning show often got awkward between him and the female hosts. He must have seen this coming given the current climate

Not sure if this fits into Politics or not?

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/2017/11/21/charlie-roses-cbs-colleagues-react-on-air-there-is-no-excuse-for-this-alleged-behaviour.html

Is Buffett or Charlie next?  :o

Cardboard

rb

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
Not Charlie Rose too.... shakes head. Seriously is it so hard not to walk around naked among your employees and close the damn bathroom door?

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 03:33:09 PM »
What's wrong with walking nekkid among your employers?

Everyone wants nekkid truth, then they complain when dey get it.

If I watch Charlie Rose interviews now, does that count as watching pron?
How about Harvey Weinstein movies?

Life in America is becoming too complicated. Need to take a vacation. Any nudist beach recommendations?

EliG

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 04:15:39 PM »
Charlie Rose issued a half-hearted apology and now he is fired. Good.

Meanwhile, Roy Moore continues to deny deny deny. Moore's alleged wrongdoing -- child molestation -- is arguably much worse than Rose's (co-worker harassment). The evidence against both men is exactly the same: a well-researched WaPo article.

It will be funny to watch when Moore becomes a Senator.

cobafdek

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 06:58:22 PM »
In the realm of sexual misconduct, unwanted kissing, groping, and fondling seem so ho-hum these days.

Lately we've heard the bizarre:  pleasuring oneself into a plant in front of a woman (Weinstein), pleasuring oneself while naked in the presence of women (Louis CK), walking around naked in front of women (Rose).

1. Any board members know anyone personally who has engaged in such bizarre behaviors? 

2. Do you think such behavior occurs among ordinary non-famous middle class people?  Or do you think these specific types of weird sexual behaviors occur primarily among the rich and famous politicians or celebrities?

3. Finally, does anyone know any female who was successfully wooed by such maneuvers?  In other words, what are these guys thinking?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:25:52 PM by cobafdek »

rb

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 08:57:01 PM »
In the realm of sexual misconduct, unwanted kissing, groping, and fondling seem so ho-hum these days.

Lately we've heard the bizarre:  pleasuring oneself into a plant in front of a woman (Weinstein), pleasuring oneself while naked in the presence of women (Louis CK), walking around naked in front of women (Rose).

1. Any board members know anyone personally who has engaged in such bizarre behaviors? 

2. Do you think such behavior occurs among ordinary non-famous middle class people?  Or do you think these specific types of weird sexual behaviors occur primarily among the rich and famous politicians or celebrities?

3. Finally, does anyone know any female who was successfully wooed by such maneuvers?  In other words, what are these guys thinking?
I think number 3 is the easiest to address. I do not know of nay woman that was successfully wooed by such maneuvers. It's counter intuitive (for the right reason) that the right way to woo a woman would be to assault her. It doesn't work like that. But what these guys want is not to woo a woman. They want to get a cheap thrill, humiliate a woman, or get a power trip by being able to put someone down in some of the most personal ways. This stuff isn't about infatuation or love.

As for weather this stuff occurs among regular people about half of the professional women I know have had events of inappropriate touching, groping, etc. Almost excursively by powerful superiors. These are things I've heard (always in a disgusted tone). My sister was also groped by a powerful superior. My mom when she was young had an event with a proposition involving a hotel room from a superior. This stuff is pervasive. Yes most of it is groping and stuff (is that ok?). It seems that public masturbation and walking around naked is reserved for the super elite - a perk of the job.

But now for what I have seen. I have seen an MD hire a woman to do laps around the trading floor in high heels and revealing clothing to provide "inspiration" for the traders. Another director would regularly ask women in interviews if they fuck, how they fuck, how they like it. He had "relations" with a lot of employees. He is now the head of a major global brokerage. The head of a global division got drunk at a Christmas party and got up on a table, performed a strip-tease, got buck naked and was shaking it for everyone. As far as I know he wasn't a sexual predator (haven't heard of any groping, etc), he just felt inspired at that point. Still I don't think anyone came there to see his dick. The guy who had the job before him would regularly get blow jobs under the table from a junior employee, often when other people were present. Yes he was in a relationship with the employee (it ended) but since when is that ok in a professional setting. This was all at a major global bank (too big to fail) not at a two bit bucket shop.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this thing is pervasive. It happens a lot and there's a lot of these creeps everywhere. Just because you and I wouldn't engage in this type of behaviour doesn't mean that a lot of other men wouldn't. I could list more examples but I think the above did its job. Anyway if you think that inappropriate/disgusting/creepy behavoir is reserved for a select few, you are wrong.

cobafdek

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 10:01:56 PM »
It's counter intuitive . . . that the right way to woo a women would be to assault her. It doesn't work like that. But what these guys want is not to woo a woman. They want to get a cheap thrill, humiliate a woman, or get a power trip by being able to put someone down in some of the most personal ways. This stuff isn't about infatuation or love.

I'm not sure about all this.  I think those guys, IN THE MOMENT horny and lonely, were rationalizing to themselves that they were wooing the women because of infatuation or love.  If you were to ask them in an interview outside of such episodes, when they've returned to rationality,  they would agree with you that it is wrong to assault and humiliate women.  When horny and crazy, maybe they actually believed their maneuvers would work.

Your other examples seem more like garden-variety frathouse escapades transported to a financial workplace.  I've heard of strange behavior at wild parties, and I'm used to people acting out in bizarre ways for public consumption.

The admitted behaviors of Weinstein, CK, and Rose were private and not meant for public "party" consumption.  To me, their moves seem qualitatively bizarre and different from what I usually hear about when sexual harassment is reported.  I'm just wondering if others feel the same. 

It seems that . . . masturbation and walking around naked is reserved for the super elite - a perk of the job.

This is what I'm trying to get a handle on.  Do you have any examples of coworkers or acquaintances, not famous and not powerful, at the major global bank that confided to you that they engaged in such behavior privately in front of a woman?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:18:33 PM by cobafdek »

rb

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 10:37:33 PM »
Your other examples seem more like garden-variety frathouse escapades transported to a financial workplace.  I've heard of strange behavior at wild parties, and I'm used to people acting out in bizarre ways for public consumption.

Are you kidding me with this? Frathouse escapades? Should people be able to pull their dick out at work just cause they feel like it? I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't fare very well at said company if I tried that. And what about the other stuff? Is grabbing women's tits ok, just frathouse escapades, as long as you don't jerk off in front of them?

It seems that . . . masturbation and walking around naked is reserved for the super elite - a perk of the job.

This is what I'm trying to get a handle on.  Do you have any examples of coworkers or acquaintances, not famous and not powerful, at the major global bank that confided to you that they engaged in such behavior privately in front of a woman?
The fact that what some of these guys look for are really weird and that multiple unrelated creeps are looking for the same things should tell you that it's not that rare and there are likely many more looking for the same things - think along the lines of mathematical induction. At this point there's nobody writing stories of a middle manager at a Whirlpool plant in Ohio jerking off in front of line workers when you have plenty of stories to write about Louis CK, Charlie Rose, and likely more to come. But from what it looks like, no way is this an isolated thing.

rb

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 11:21:31 PM »
I should add a couple of things to my previous post.

In life all people make mistakes. It may be giving a wrong answer to a question in an interview or crossing a line in a personal relationship. Things happen. But when a normal people make a mistake the recognize it, reflect on it and think of how not to do it again. When someone makes the same mistake 10 times in a row it stops being a mistake and it becomes modus operandi.

I also have scintilla or respect for people like Louie and Rose who acknowledge what they did, that it was wrong, apologize, and try to make amends. In contrast to others who try to discredit, obfuscate, and try to come up with lame excuses/justifications for their behaviour.