Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Politics / Re: Mr. Trump to Impose Stiff Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum
« Last post by cubsfan on Today at 12:14:38 AM »
Are you kidding Rb?  Seriously?

1% additional annual GDP growth means millions of jobs.

You of all smart people know that.

What could be more important?
No, I'm not kidding.

I mean in economics we do a lot of complicated things to get to potential growth rates that's really technical. But you can actually see it in practice. As you've stated during Obama's terms he never had a 3% GDP growth year. Nonetheless, the US economy during that time chewed up through A LOT of excess capacity.

To put it another way, you are correct that an extra 1% of annual GDP growth would mean millions of jobs. But with unemployment as low as it is, you don't have the millions of people to do those jobs.

If anything, what the data is pointing to is that economists were too optimistic about the potential growth rate of the US economy. The other thing to keep in mind is that headline growth rate makes for good headlines and political statements but it's really more or less meaningless. Depending on circumstances people in a 1% growth economy could be doing way better than people in a 5% growth economy. In an even more particular case a 0% or -1% growth economy can be a really good thing. So there's a lot of nuance to this stuff.

Wait brother - 1% additional GDP growth is very important for employment levels - it's what we are all about. Don't tell me it's meaningless.
And headlines ARE important if it influences business & consumer confidence - and increased CAPEX spending. That is  what creates new jobs.
 The Obama recovery was often called "the jobless recovery" for years. All that bullshit about the "new normal" was true -
precisely because over regulation was strangling economic growth. Bill Gross and company insisted 2% would be the best we could do
BECAUSE of the role of government in regulating and holding back economic growth. The tapeworm of big government in action.

The man, y'all hate, Mr. Trump removed those constraints - and it certainly looks very promising for 3% and perhaps a shot at 4% growth.

And these are good quality jobs - we may actually see some wage growth for Middle America.

Nothing is more important for this country than GDP growth.

You're a smart guy Rb, and maybe you'll eventually get there.
« Last post by rb on September 23, 2018, 11:37:12 PM »

No, I'm not kidding.

I mean in economics we do a lot of complicated things to get to potential growth rates that's really technical. But you can actually see it in practice. As you've stated during Obama's terms he never had a 3% GDP growth year. Nonetheless, the US economy during that time chewed up through A LOT of excess capacity.

To put it another way, you are correct that an extra 1% of annual GDP growth would mean millions of jobs. But with unemployment as low as it is, you don't have the millions of people to do those jobs.

If anything, what the data is pointing to is that economists were too optimistic about the potential growth rate of the US economy. The other thing to keep in mind is that headline growth rate makes for good headlines and political statements but it's really more or less meaningless. Depending on circumstances people in a 1% growth economy could be doing way better than people in a 5% growth economy. In an even more particular case a 0% or -1% growth economy can be a really good thing. So there's a lot of nuance to this stuff.
« Last post by rb on September 23, 2018, 11:01:51 PM »
I'd also point out that business confidence is largely dependent on business owners feeling good about what the guy in office is doing/capable of.

Obama did nothing and relied on the fed. Trump produced tax cuts and deregulation. This might not be the stuff you learn when getting your $100K liberal arts degree, but its pretty much basic Economics 101 stuff.
Well I actually have (among others) a liberal arts degree. Though it cost a way less that 100k. But guess what, it's an Economics degree. And no, what you say is not in Economics 101. It's also not in 102, 201, 301, etcetera.
« Last post by cubsfan on September 23, 2018, 11:01:31 PM »

« Last post by rb on September 23, 2018, 10:55:00 PM »
Jesus, what is with you guys and the 3% GDP growth? As things are right now, the US economy will generally not do 3% GDP growth. If it does the chances are 90% it's a bad thing, 10% it's a freak accident. You need to leave the 3% GDP stuff alone.
« Last post by Gregmal on September 23, 2018, 10:36:18 PM »
I'd also point out that business confidence is largely dependent on business owners feeling good about what the guy in office is doing/capable of.

Obama did nothing and relied on the fed. Trump produced tax cuts and deregulation. This might not be the stuff you learn when getting your $100K liberal arts degree, but its pretty much basic Economics 101 stuff.
« Last post by cubsfan on September 23, 2018, 10:29:26 PM »
Blah, blah, blah - keep making up your own facts LC

FACT: The economy is on fire - and you can't stand it, with your case of TDS - a "never Trumper".
FACT: The economy was substandard under Obama, The Fed did the work not the administration
FACT: Obama never exceeded 3% growth in 8 years - First President in memory to do so.
FACT: EPA regulations strangled growth - all rolled back under Trump - Drilling in Alaska, Pipeline construction, Coal miners working
FACT: China has protectionist policies and STEALS US intellectual property, and supports N Korean regime. Trump tariffs return the abuse.

But you keep ignoring the central issue:  The Working class voted for jobs, not your idiotic trade and economic theories that rob them of their futures.

Putting the word "fact" in all capitalization doesn't make it true.

1- I'm ecstatic the economy is humming along. However just about every metric shows that this trend is no different than it was under Obama. Frankly, the President's influence over the economy is not very strong. And finally, you're cherry picking because you give all credit to Trump but none to Obama.
2- I see - when the economy is doing well under a guy you like, it's because of him. When it happens under a guy you don't like, he has nothing to do with it. Cherry picking again. Additionally didn't Obama sign into effect a $800B stimulus package that got us out of a giant recession? Hmm...
3- So now you're just really showing us you're an idiot. Obama achieved quarterly gdp growth above 3% eight different times. What Obama did not achieve was >3% gdp growth annually. And neither has Trump. Here you can read the chart yourself: https://www.statista.com/statistics/188185/percent-chance-from-preceding-period-in-real-gdp-in-the-us/
4- Yes a short term spike (in dying industries) at the expense of long term prosperity. What a true value investor you and Trump are!
5- And this is why we are throwing tariffs at Canada Mexico and the EU? Oh and lucky for us neither China nor our traditional allies are imposing matching tariffs on US goods. Aren't we lucky to have such mentally incompetent trading partners!

My god, what a dumb ass you are. First , I'm cherry picking the metrics, then the President doesn't influence the economy, then he does, then he doesn't.
Now the energy business doesn't create jobs, then it does, but doesn't matter in the long run.

Make up your fucking mind already. What nonsense. Go pull another graph out of your ass already.

In the end, you will believe what you want to believe. Look it up numb nuts. Obama never cracked 3% ANNUAL GDP growth with 8 years to do it.
We will see how Trump ends up. But Obama never did. First US President in my lifetime that failed to do so.
And business confidence in this country is way up - with good jobs back.
Investment Ideas / Re: CNRD - Conrad Industries
« Last post by DTEJD1997 on September 23, 2018, 10:23:39 PM »
Hety all:

Almost 2.5 years since any activity on this board.

Anybody still interested/watching CNRD?

Looks like they had decent earnings in the last quarter AND they've solved one of their long outstanding problems.

Ultra-conservative balance sheet, making money, low P/E, lots of things I like to see.

Any thoughts?
Politics / Re: So Desperate
« Last post by EliG on September 23, 2018, 10:18:12 PM »
Merrick Garland says Hi. GOP rejected him JUST BECAUSE THEY COULD. You reap what you sow.
« Last post by Gregmal on September 23, 2018, 10:15:46 PM »
Greg I think I just realized exactly how well informed you must be. The video you posted has some great nuggets such as:

another tool they use is brainwashing. they will use the media the advertisements the movies to instill in your mind aspiration attitudes and behaviors to turn you into a non-thinking creature

another tool used to keep the people apathetic to the exploitation is to dumb down the education. the elites dont want the well-informed well-educated population.

another tool used by the elites is fear and terror....to scare the citizens the elites mainly used two methods: propaganda and false-flag terrorist attacks against their own population. 9/11 is one of the many examples of terrorist attacks against their own population by the elites.

I mean you're literally posting 9/11 conspiracy crap. Go crawl back into your basement cave you unevolved troll.

I said it's good stuff, pretty interesting, and some of it 100% relevant, such as the first two sentences you wrote above. As such, in typical liberal fashion, you hold me accountable for every single thing in the video, as if I wrote it, believe it, and need it to be true. Classic.

You're literally the guy who reads 5 pages and finds one sentence that is wrong and then throws a temper tantrum. That must be fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10