Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Why will interest rates go up?
« Last post by petec on Today at 09:01:23 AM »
There is too much debt in the world for rates to go up much.   

Except...inflation might be self-reinforcing.   If it accelerates, and people start to spend cash because cash is losing value, then the velocity of money rises and inflation accelerates more.

If that gets bad, then Central Banks have to decide whether to stick to their inflation targets, raise rates, and trigger a recession; or to let inflation go for a while.

Long bonds, though, are a speculative macro bet at this point.   There is no value in them.   Prefs are more interesting - good writeup of their valuation vs long term averages on Philosophical Economics recently - but you still get hammered if there is inflation.   Unless, of course, you're in a Canadian rate reset preferred trading below par.   The probable real returns on some of those look very decent.   (I'm long Atlantic Power and Aimia.)

Of course, we are ignoring the fact that huge inflation has already taken place, just not in CPI.   Houses, bonds, stocks.   In other words the cost to purchase your shelter and your retirement have spiralled massively, and yet Central Banks are still able to claim there's been no inflation.   Crazy.
Investment Ideas / Re: FELP - Foresight Energy
« Last post by heth247 on Today at 08:56:13 AM »
I see, John. I don't know about Dutch taxes, but it certainly seems complicated.  I often read that people said they want to avoid MLP because they don't like K1. But I don't understand why, since software like TurboTax handles K1. I thought I must have missed something.  In your case, it certainly makes sense.
Thanks for posting - nice interview. 
Investment Ideas / Re: SYTE - Sitestar
« Last post by globalfinancepartners on Today at 08:44:08 AM »
Regulatory trading halt at the moment it seems.  News pending?
Books / Re: Of Permanent Value - Andrew Kilpatrick
« Last post by Jurgis on Today at 08:35:19 AM »
How much info you lose if you buy just 2017 book and don't have e.g. 2011 book? I.e. is the book just expanding year to year or do things get removed in new editions too?

I have a 1998 version haha.

Really haha.
Investment Ideas / Re: GOOGL - Google
« Last post by Jurgis on Today at 08:29:19 AM »
I have no idea what diply and gfycat are, but I would believe that bing is the 17th largest search engine.

;D  ;D  ;D
« Last post by rkbabang on Today at 08:26:53 AM »
https://www.vodien.com/blog/vodien_uploads/2017/02/100-websites-rule-internet-2.jpg

Bing is #17  8)

What the ... is Diply and gfycat?

Must ... resist ... mentioning PronHub  8)

(The data above might not really reflect actuals, you can search for articles that discuss the issues with the data).

I have no idea what diply and gfycat are, but I would believe that bing is the 17th largest search engine.
Investment Ideas / Re: HCG.to - Home Capital Group
« Last post by rb on Today at 08:22:06 AM »
Interesting take by a fund manager who used to own HCG:

What is the benefit of funding diversification if it causes an asset-liability mismatch??

I think it's a classic case of... we are from the government and we are here to help. Yikes.
I'm not familiar with the particulars of HCG's GICs but generally a GIC despite having a term is always redeemable at face value. Basically even if I have a 3 year GIC I can always step up and ask for my money if I forgo the accrued interest. Because it's not legally demand deposit they can delay paying it out for a period but that's measured in days. In these times of low interest rates the interest penalty on early redemption in relatively small when you fear for your principle. Keep in mind that people that buy GICs do so because they are very fearful for their principle. So with the interest penalty not being such a barrier to withdrawal GICs are essentially demand deposits.

Also at the end of the day it doesn't really matter how you fund a bank. If a run starts the bank will most likely go down without intervention. Runs start because managements have made stupid/bad decisions.
« Last post by Jurgis on Today at 08:14:18 AM »
https://www.vodien.com/blog/vodien_uploads/2017/02/100-websites-rule-internet-2.jpg

Bing is #17  8)

What the ... is Diply and gfycat?

Must ... resist ... mentioning PronHub  8)

(The data above might not really reflect actuals, you can search for articles that discuss the issues with the data).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10