Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Politics / Re: Border patrol detention centers
« Last post by Parsad on Today at 07:22:14 PM »
Also, you've got to be f*&(#ing kidding me:

https://www.businessinsider.in/Melania-flew-to-Texas-to-visit-immigrant-children-wearing-a-jacket-that-says-I-really-dont-care-do-u/articleshow/64688477.cms

They are just completely clueless...even when they are trying to or not trying to generate controversy.  It just follows them around like a foul smell!  Cheers!

I'm seriously thinking of getting a jacket or t-shirt sporting that quote.  I have to admit that I qualify to wear one.

By my standards, REALLY caring means contributing 10% of my wealth as a pledge to sponsor one of these families to settle in the U.S., or maybe housing one of these families in the spare room in my house - something on this order of caring, REALLY caring.

The Trump administration is providing temporary food, shelter, health care, and security for these families caught in a terrible immigration system in transition.  What are you guys doing, beyond providing cheap, emotional, virtual signalling potshots on an anonymous message board with no risk, no soul in the game?

Corner Market Capital paid over $300K in U.S. taxes in 2017...how much did you pay?  I think that should give me some say even though I'm not a citizen or resident! 

And funny thing is...I do care!  Cheers!

1.  Sorry, I can't give you any extra brownie points.  Taxes are compulsory.  Everybody's tax payment gets no ethical extra-credit.  If you didn't pay those taxes, you could end up in a cage, which I would hate to see!

2.  Nobody said or even implied that you have no say.  But remember:  talk, without deeds, is just tawk.

3.  I know you care, and I believe you.  I just wanted folks to ask themselves how much they REALLY care, i.e., what REALLY cares means to them personally, more than just words, and to think seriously what "REALLY cares" means in concrete terms.

4.  I'd advise folks not to publicly and openly proclaim how much they REALLY care, because the replies so far have been embarrassing.  My ability to ridicule anybody's report about their "REALLY caring deeds," compared to how much more they could do, is limitless. 

5.  The best advice is to check out Jurgis's post on charities, and quietly contribute.  Matthew 6:1-4.

So try again!  (And, maybe delete your post!)  Cheers back to you!

Let's try this again:

- $197,000 raised for Crohn's & Colitis Canada in the last 6 years
- Over $1M raised as a director of Cystic Fibrosis Canada Vancouver Chapter the last three years...including Chair of their annual gala for the last 2 years
- Director of Dakshana Canada
- Just over 10% of my annual net income for the last 4 years to various charities, including an endowment at Simon Fraser University, Vancouver Food Bank, Surrey Toy Bank, The Centre for Child Development, Union Gospel Mission, Two Worlds Cancer Collaboration and a handful of others including organizations that assisted Syrian refugees relocating in Vancouver.
- About $20K annually in donated oncology scans to patients that could not afford it through Premier
- And yeah, the $300K in U.S. taxes paid just in just the last fiscal tax year for good measure!

Now how much did you donate to charity?  You can leave the taxes out of it.  Cheers!
What would you do if you had access to $1b margin for a month? Let's assume the cost of capital is similar to what IB charges, 2.5%. What trade will you make?

Put it all on red SPY same month calls. YOLO!  8)

Seriously, IRL I'd probably do nothing. Even with special situations, there is no guarantee they'd work out in a month and they likely won't be big enough to put in $1B.

The best trade would be one where you are likely make a little, but have a tail risk of losing a lot. I think this can be structured by selling out of the money calls and puts simultaneously (forgot how this is called). The thinking is that even make a little percentagewise with a high likelihood is worth quite a bit with this huge sum and blowing up with $1B is somebody elseís problem.

This, IMO.
Charlie Munger told a story about this at the last BRK annual meeting. They're talking about why the electronic parts distributing business is so good, but I think it applies to your question as well.

Charlie?

CHARLIE MUNGER: Yeah, itís a wonderful business because itís so difficult to do that competitors donít want try it. When I lived in Omaha there was a man who lived in great prosperity and almost no work. And his business was gathering up and rendering dead horses. And he never had any competitors. (Laughter)

He used to come up to the Omaha Club and start drinking about 11 in the morning. It was not a difficult business. But nobody ever crowded him with new competition.

And very few people want to distribute zillions of electronic parts that are worth a nickel each. Itís very complicated.

And of course that business is terribly good at it. And it keeps getting more and more of the same. So youíre right. Itís a huge growth business which is sort of the electronic equivalent of gathering up and rendering dead horses. (Laughter)

WARREN BUFFETT: Imagine keeping track of close to a million different items, you know, with very small values attached to them and getting them out to your customer fast because they want them fast, all over the world. You know, and those things are not easy to manage. I mean, yeah.

CHARLIE MUNGER: And staying in stock on so many items. Itís very complicated. And that business is very good at it.

WARREN BUFFETT: Yeah, weíre luck ó

CHARLIE MUNGER: And of course itíll grow. The horses went away but these parts arenít going to go away. (Laughter)

WARREN BUFFETT: Charlie made a profession of studying businesses where the owners could sit around and drink all day and have ó (laughter) ó he thought that was where we ought to be competing but ó or buying.

CHARLIE MUNGER: My theory, Warren, is if it canít stand a little mismanagement, itís no business. (Laughter)

WARREN BUFFETT: Yeah and weíre testing that sometimes. (Laughter)

https://buffett.cnbc.com/video/2018/05/05/afternoon-session--2018-berkshire-hathaway-annual-meeting.html
In corrupt countries you get cushy govt job through family connections and then do nothing. Or even better collect bribes.

Though unless country is very corrupt or small, this won't get you into top 1% nowadays.

I was on a saferi in Tanzania riding in a Land Rover up a steep hill. The road was entirely washboarded out. There was a crew of men on the side of the road filling in the drainage ditch beside the road with clay. I remarked to my wife at the time that they were going to make the road even worse, as now when it rained water would drain down the road instead of the ditch. The driver of the safari said it was likely a make work project.

Now, I'm not sure what connections those people had or how much they were getting paid. But they were all working when I drove by (as opposed to the stereotypical one working three watching), and looked like they were working hard. It was ~40 degrees C (105 F or so). I've often thought about that, because I think it's the perfect picture of being born in the right place.

I don't have any political power and have never used a political connection, but I was born in Canada, got a degree, and earn my living sitting down in climate controlled comfort. Those folks were apparently connected enough to get a "good" government job, and do backbreaking work in the hot sun. I wouldn't want to trade. I also don't think I'd prefer to get a government contracts through influencing a corrupt regime in a third world country, even if it was more lucrative. Seems like it could be hazardous to ones health...
« Last post by rkbabang on Today at 07:05:04 PM »
The best advice is to check out Jurgis's post on charities, and quietly contribute.  Matthew 6:1-4.

I donít know what version of the Bible you have, but in mine Jurgis isnít mentioned anywhere in Matthew.
Investment Ideas / Re: COST - Costco
« Last post by bizaro86 on Today at 07:02:22 PM »
The thread from the time of the Amazon/Whole Foods sell-off is here: http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/general-discussion/costco-selloff/

I had thought I contributed, but upon re-read apparently all I did was buy the stock and think nice thoughts about it. Sorry about that.

LOL, that exactly what one should do. It takes less time to push the buy button than to make 20 posts and then do nothing.

Apparently I'm vain enough that I think my thoughts at the time would have been of value to others. I should probably spend more time thinking about that prior to posting... :-X
What would you do if you had access to $1b margin for a month? Let's assume the cost of capital is similar to what IB charges, 2.5%. What trade will you make?

Put it all on red SPY same month calls. YOLO!  8)

Seriously, IRL I'd probably do nothing. Even with special situations, there is no guarantee they'd work out in a month and they likely won't be big enough to put in $1B.

The best trade would be one where you are likely make a little, but have a tail risk of losing a lot. I think this can be structured by selling out of the money calls and puts simultaneously (forgot how this is called). The thinking is that even make a little percentagewise with a high likelihood is worth quite a bit with this huge sum and blowing up with $1B is somebody else’s problem.
https://www.missourinet.com/2018/06/22/southeast-missouri-nail-company-gets-hammered-by-trumps-tariffs/

resident Trumpís tariff on steel imports that took effect June 1 has caused a southeast Missouri nail manufacturer to lose about 50% of its business in two weeks. Mid Continent Nail Corporation in Poplar Bluff Ė the remaining major nail producer in the country Ė has had to take drastic measures to make ends meet.
« Last post by cobafdek on Today at 05:52:49 PM »
Also, you've got to be f*&(#ing kidding me:

https://www.businessinsider.in/Melania-flew-to-Texas-to-visit-immigrant-children-wearing-a-jacket-that-says-I-really-dont-care-do-u/articleshow/64688477.cms

They are just completely clueless...even when they are trying to or not trying to generate controversy.  It just follows them around like a foul smell!  Cheers!

I'm seriously thinking of getting a jacket or t-shirt sporting that quote.  I have to admit that I qualify to wear one.

By my standards, REALLY caring means contributing 10% of my wealth as a pledge to sponsor one of these families to settle in the U.S., or maybe housing one of these families in the spare room in my house - something on this order of caring, REALLY caring.

The Trump administration is providing temporary food, shelter, health care, and security for these families caught in a terrible immigration system in transition.  What are you guys doing, beyond providing cheap, emotional, virtual signalling potshots on an anonymous message board with no risk, no soul in the game?

Corner Market Capital paid over $300K in U.S. taxes in 2017...how much did you pay?  I think that should give me some say even though I'm not a citizen or resident! 

And funny thing is...I do care!  Cheers!

1.  Sorry, I can't give you any extra brownie points.  Taxes are compulsory.  Everybody's tax payment gets no ethical extra-credit.  If you didn't pay those taxes, you could end up in a cage, which I would hate to see!

2.  Nobody said or even implied that you have no say.  But remember:  talk, without deeds, is just tawk.

3.  I know you care, and I believe you.  I just wanted folks to ask themselves how much they REALLY care, i.e., what REALLY cares means to them personally, more than just words, and to think seriously what "REALLY cares" means in concrete terms.

4.  I'd advise folks not to publicly and openly proclaim how much they REALLY care, because the replies so far have been embarrassing.  My ability to ridicule anybody's report about their "REALLY caring deeds," compared to how much more they could do, is limitless. 

5.  The best advice is to check out Jurgis's post on charities, and quietly contribute.  Matthew 6:1-4.

So try again!  (And, maybe delete your post!)  Cheers back to you!
Canadian real estate
Weed stocks
Bitcoin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10